Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:34 pm
Warriors rookie Anthony Randolph: "They're helping me more"
January 20, 1:30 PM
by Matt Steinmetz, Golden State Warriors Examiner

Warriors coach Don Nelson is still pretty hard on rookie Anthony Randolph. In other words, that part hasn't changed.

But what has seemed to change for Randolph is his routine and the support he's getting.

Assistant coaches Keith Smart and Rico Hines and director of athletic development Mark Grabow meet Randolph before every practice and put the first-year player through his own, personalized individual workout.

"I come in every morning and they're helping me more," Randolph said after Tuesday's practice. "They're helping me by telling me what they want me to do, actually showing me early in the morning before practice what I need to do. That helps a lot _ just having them show you."

Randolph is not only getting basketball instruction, he's also getting a lot of encouragement from the trio. According to Smart, Randolph has responded much better to the pre-practice kind of teaching than the kind done at a full practice.

There are two assumptions Randolph, however, doesn't want you to draw:

First, that Nelson is being any less hard on him; and, second, that Randolph can't take the heat that the coach is doling out.

I asked Randolph if it was true that he's very sensitive and doesn't like to be criticized in front of his teammates.

"No, not at all (that that's true)," Randolph said. "If coach calls you out in front of the team, it just means he's telling you to do better and he's trying to put it on you. So you've got to go out there and do it. He called me out the second half of the last game (vs. Washington) in front of the team. ... It's still the same."

What has changed is Randolph's role. He's started four of the past five games, and Nelson seems to be committed to giving him at least some playing time at the beginning of each half.

So, does that work for Randolph?

"It doesn't work for me because I'm not content with starting and playing five or seven minutes for the first and third quarter," Randolph said. "I want to be the guy that's in the game at the end, when it matters. So, I've just got to take it and build on it."

Asked if he would at least acknowledge it was an improvement, Randolph finally cracked a little bit of a smile and said: "Yeah, it's a lot better improvement than sitting on the bench every game."
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:38 pm
Its good to see that not only is Randolph adjusting to playing in the NBA and with the Warriors, but also the Warriors (coaching staff) is adjusting to Randolph! The extra help and different coaching tone towards Anthony proves that point!
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:36 pm
It's nice that Randolph is getting more attention, because he definitely has critical issues that need to be addressed, like shot selection, turnovers, and team defense. Also, his J could be better but that'll come with time. I think Randolph definitely has a hunger to improve though, since he wants those prime-time minutes.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:42 pm
I think AR needed a wake up call. From what I've gathered he came in thinking he was the best in the league and that he didn't need to actually put any work in. I know you guys are going to argue with me on this, but I think Nelson calling him out really was what he needed to hear, he needed to be knocked down a peg or two.

Now I do agree that Nelson's technique doesn't work on everyone (POB, Webber), but I see what he's trying to do and I think it is effective with most people. A big reason is that I am a HUGE believer of no one being bigger than the team. I don't care how good you are, if you aren't about the team you aren't ON the team. Teams that work together, but have less talent, can overachieve. Teams with a lot of talent that are not cohesive almost always underachieve.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:46 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:I think AR needed a wake up call. From what I've gathered he came in thinking he was the best in the league and that he didn't need to actually put any work in. I know you guys are going to argue with me on this, but I think Nelson calling him out really was what he needed to hear, he needed to be knocked down a peg or two.

Now I do agree that Nelson's technique doesn't work on everyone (POB, Webber), but I see what he's trying to do and I think it is effective with most people. A big reason is that I am a HUGE believer of no one being bigger than the team. I don't care how good you are, if you aren't about the team you aren't ON the team. Teams that work together, but have less talent, can overachieve. Teams with a lot of talent that are not cohesive almost always underachieve.

I agree. Until he joined the Warriors, all of Randolph's career he was being given minutes because his talent and ability overshadowed his faults at the high school and college level. Not getting all that much PT has forced him into re-evaluating himself. I'm really glad to see that he is working with the coaching staff, as it shows cooperation rather than rebellion which obviously blow up in the W's faces considering how much fan support Randolph has.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:22 am
Funny thing is that Randolph is probably our most consistent player on the team right now. He does a little bit of everything with whatever time he's given on the court.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:24 am
xbay wrote:Funny thing is that Randolph is probably our most consistent player on the team right now. He does a little bit of everything with whatever time he's given on the court.

Agreed, and he is also showing control--less turnovers, knowing when to put on the brakes and kick it out, and not trying to force a shitty drive and getting swatted. :wink:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:25 am
Captain_Jack wrote:Now I do agree that Nelson's technique doesn't work on everyone (POB, Webber), but I see what he's trying to do and I think it is effective with most people. A big reason is that I am a HUGE believer of no one being bigger than the team. I don't care how good you are, if you aren't about the team you aren't ON the team. Teams that work together, but have less talent, can overachieve. Teams with a lot of talent that are not cohesive almost always underachieve.

Well, I agree to a certain extent. I mean, the idea of having kids work for their minutes and don't let them take anything for granted is alright. It's the way it has to be, actually... but you can do that without being a bully. Just talking with him and telling him how things really are. You don't work hard, you won't play. You gotta improve and earn your minutes in practice. Simple as that.

Nellie's ways, at times, seem a bit excessive for kids like Randolph. Kinda more like the treatment you'd give to a vet who's dogging it.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:44 am
It's good that the assistant coaches recognized the need for his development and started working with him before Nelson completely lost him. Seems to me this is the kind of thing they should have recognized early and started doing several months ago, not in the middle of the season. It's not a reach to suggest that your rookie needs some extra work. The tough love approach only goes so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:01 pm
It has improved, though I think AR has earned the right to get back in the game a little more than he does...seems regardless of how he plays he gets pulled about 5-6 minutes in, and that's it for the half. Still it is an improvement. Next to Crawford (in that case to see if I thought his critics had any kind of case), I have been most interested in watching AR's progress closely. He is insanely talented and insanely raw. I love the fire and determination and uncoachable creativity he has. Gotta say though, Xbay. Most consistent Warrior? :shock: Really? More than Beans, Azu, Turiaf or a # of others? How do you figure? He seems pretty damn inconsistent to me.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

Return to News Articles