Anthony Randolph getting more individual attention.

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes


All Star
Posts: 2261
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:05 am
Location: Berkeley
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:48 pm
Anthony Randolph getting more individual attention, and he seems to prefer it.

January 18, 1:58 PM

by Matt Steinmetz, Golden State Warriors Examiner

Something seems to be clicking with Warriors rookie Anthony Randolph.

Randolph still isn't playing a ton of minutes, and he's still a long way from being consistent but there has been definite improvement over the past couple of weeks.

He's played in five consecutive games, and coach Don Nelson has even found a reason to start Randolph in three of them ... with mixed results.

Randolph seems to be benefiting from a subtle change in how the Warriors' coaching staff is handling him.

There's been more of a hands-off approach when Randolph is practicing with his teammates, and more instruction in individual settings.

"I've been around players who sometimes function better in an individual setting rather than a group setting," Warriors assistsnt coach Keith Smart said after Sunday's practice. "He seems to have taken to that. He's made the commitment to come in early to practice. ... just slowing everything down. Work on simple things, footwork, where your shot should come from, what to do next with the basketball."

Reading between the lines a little bit here, it seems as though Randolph struggles when criticized in front of teammates.

"I think when a setting is small, the ego gets taken out of it," Smart said. "So, now I'm not trying to show my manhood. I can listen to constructive criticism in that type of settings. Some players respond better that way, and he seems to be a guy who has. ... When it's one-on-one, he's not looking over his shoulder to see what a teammate is thinking when you say something pretty strong to him."

Warriors captain Stephen Jackson said that Randolph is coming around.

"I'm going to tell you why I see growth," Jackson said. "The way he's been responding to coach saying different stuff about him, and him not starting to him playing a lot now, he sees how his attitude has to be to get on the court.

"He has to be humble. He has to respect what coach is saying, he can't talk back. He can't have that attitude or looking at the bench after every play."

According to Jackson, a lot of Randolph's issues stem from the fact that he is so competitive.

"The thing I like about him is he thinks he's the best player in the NBA right now," Jackson said. "That's what I love about him. Obviously, he's not there yet, but I love his confidence. I think coach has given him the same tough love that he would have given any young player at his caliber.

"I think he's starting to understand coach. He's not thinking someone's picking on him like he was when he came here. He understands people know he can be a great player and help this team and once he figured that out, that nobody was picking on him and that people are trying to help him, he's been coming to practice the last week, working on his game early. I think he's starting to learn to understand coach and that's a good sign for us as a team.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

All Star
Posts: 2261
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:05 am
Location: Berkeley
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:55 pm
This is the type of behind the scene stuff us DUB fans wouldn't know about, but would come to a wrong conclusion & place blame where it shouldn't be :!:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2334
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:33 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:21 pm
O.G. Broe wrote:This is the type of behind the scene stuff us DUB fans wouldn't know about, but would come to a wrong conclusion & place blame where it shouldn't be :!:


You mean on Nelson like everyone on this board has done??? :wink:

Like I said before Randolph didn't deserve playing time at all, he's earning it now, but he's still not close to deserving more than what he's getting at the moment.

Don Nelson is not always wrong.
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2347
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:05 pm
Location: Sucka Free City
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:05 pm
It's good to see the young pup is working hard!
He's so damn good, but clearly needs some polishing.

all good stuff :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1396
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:03 pm
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:44 pm
good stuff... thanks for the post

i really believe in randolph... i think he's going to turn into a really good nba player.

randolph has a lot of growing to do... if randolphs attitude and mental game keep improving he'll one day be an nba all star...

"There's nothing worse in life than wasted talent."
-A Bronx Tale

i hope randolph reaches his potential... [-o<
Wish List

*New Owner and Management =D>
*Trade Monta
*Trade Maggette =D>
*Tank the season, get the top pick and draft Harrison Barnes
to be continued...

All Star
Posts: 1471
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: SF
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:59 pm
Jax just basically told us that Randolph wasn't humble, he talked back to coaches, had an attitude problem, and thought he was being "picked" on. The kid definitely did not deserve to be a major part of on-court time.

I just hope Randolph doesn't react badly to this stuff getting out.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21413
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:22 pm
Great article, thanks for posting it.

Nelson is what he is and doesn't budge, doesn't change or anyone. It is easy to clash with him. I think a coach, anybody part of a team of anything, has to be more understanding and open in communication. Randolph has a tough attitude, many young stars that have come to the nba have had that. They need to change, but they need to be nurtured somewhat to change, not shoved around and embarrassed. Both parties need to come together for this to work.

Randolph has to be handled properly, because I think he is a very special player that could be an allstar for this team. It would be awful to see him pisssed off and leave or traded
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Posts: 1910
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:43 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:25 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:
O.G. Broe wrote:This is the type of behind the scene stuff us DUB fans wouldn't know about, but would come to a wrong conclusion & place blame where it shouldn't be :!:


You mean on Nelson like everyone on this board has done??? :wink:

Like I said before Randolph didn't deserve playing time at all, he's earning it now, but he's still not close to deserving more than what he's getting at the moment.

Don Nelson is not always wrong.


Everyone on this board? There are a few of us who have defended Nelson pretty much every step of the way.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2334
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:33 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:00 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
O.G. Broe wrote:This is the type of behind the scene stuff us DUB fans wouldn't know about, but would come to a wrong conclusion & place blame where it shouldn't be :!:


You mean on Nelson like everyone on this board has done??? :wink:

Like I said before Randolph didn't deserve playing time at all, he's earning it now, but he's still not close to deserving more than what he's getting at the moment.

Don Nelson is not always wrong.


Everyone on this board? There are a few of us who have defended Nelson pretty much every step of the way.


Well I think you're crazy too. Nelson has made plenty of mistakes and done plenty of stupid things. But some people blame EVERYTHING on him.
Image

All Star
Posts: 1910
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:43 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:22 am
Captain_Jack wrote:
StuckInSoCal wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
O.G. Broe wrote:This is the type of behind the scene stuff us DUB fans wouldn't know about, but would come to a wrong conclusion & place blame where it shouldn't be :!:


You mean on Nelson like everyone on this board has done??? :wink:

Like I said before Randolph didn't deserve playing time at all, he's earning it now, but he's still not close to deserving more than what he's getting at the moment.

Don Nelson is not always wrong.


Everyone on this board? There are a few of us who have defended Nelson pretty much every step of the way.


Well I think you're crazy too. Nelson has made plenty of mistakes and done plenty of stupid things. But some people blame EVERYTHING on him.


I'd be much more inclined to criticize Nelson if he wasn't being scapegoated after every single game. As it stands, it's hard for me to take anything seriously when I know many fans here watch each game looking for reasons to criticize him.

Warriors fans have worked themselves all up thinking Wright and Randolph are top 3 picks who are being wronged by not getting the playing time they deserve.

Stories like this help show that there's a little bit more to the NBA than carting a kid out there for 30 minutes a game until he's a star. Lots of guys never pan out. Some of them don't because they're arrogant, cocky kids who already think they're the best in the NBA and don't need to work or earn their minutes. I don't want Randolph to be one of them.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am
Location: looking down at the Warriors practice facility
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:29 am
label me as strickly a Nelson basher if you wish but from this article I fail to see how this paints Nelson as correct or in a real positive light.

The gist of this article is that Nelson's coaching style has failed to work with Randolph and no he is being "coached" by the assistants in more individual settings. Not sure a disconnect between player and HC is a good thing. Certainly I am glad that Randolph is getting a more positive experience and he seems to be embrassing it.

But once again it points out that Nelson has a very hard time relating to certain personality types and is unwilling to be flexible. I see AR and Webber in a very similar light.... both are confident but yet very sensative young men. Being called out, torn down, and humiliated in front of teammates does not work with these guys. You would have thought he would have learned that lesson.
_____________________________________________________
http://WWW.GOLDENSTATEWARRIORS-RT.COM

All Star
Posts: 1910
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:43 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:26 am
bada wrote:label me as strickly a Nelson basher if you wish but from this article I fail to see how this paints Nelson as correct or in a real positive light.

The gist of this article is that Nelson's coaching style has failed to work with Randolph and no he is being "coached" by the assistants in more individual settings. Not sure a disconnect between player and HC is a good thing. Certainly I am glad that Randolph is getting a more positive experience and he seems to be embrassing it.

But once again it points out that Nelson has a very hard time relating to certain personality types and is unwilling to be flexible. I see AR and Webber in a very similar light.... both are confident but yet very sensative young men. Being called out, torn down, and humiliated in front of teammates does not work with these guys. You would have thought he would have learned that lesson.


See, the thing here is you're giving Randolph the benefit of the doubt and I give Nelson the benefit of the doubt. Pretty much a difference of opinion. Winning and losing really is what defines a coach and fan opinion. Two years ago, in the playoffs, Nelson pretty much benched Monta for the playoffs. He wasn't questioned.

Now that the team is losing, Nelson is questioned for everything.

You played ball, didn't you Bada? Did you ever have a coach who put up with what's being said about Randolph? I didn't. Sure, high school ball is different than the pro game, but AR is hardly a pro. He's a 19-year-old kid, barely out of HS, who thinks very, very highly of himself. He's got talent but he makes really, really stupid mistakes. He's got skills, but he wouldn't play a lick outside of garbage time for a playoff team.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am
Location: looking down at the Warriors practice facility
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:55 pm
I dont give Nelson the benefit of the doubt because of what happened in the past. Because I had a personal relationship with several Warriors in the early 90's, I was privy to things Nelson did and the attacks and humiliation in front of teammates to some of the players. He is a bully. Personally I dont like that approach.

There is a HUGE difference between being tough minded and demanding of your players and being using bully tactics and humiliation. Some respond to that, others dont.

Yes, I did play ball in high school and our coach woudl never accept talking back. He also was a guy who on two occassions slapped a kid on the bench duing time outs and someone who would continually demean us as a way to motivate. He is one of the winningest HS coaches in California HS history but I despised his methods. I know if I had the choice (like NBA players do to a degree) I would have left and played somewhere else in a heartbeat.

So maybe I am a bit sensative to these type of coaches based on MY history and the history of Nelson
_____________________________________________________
http://WWW.GOLDENSTATEWARRIORS-RT.COM

All Star
Posts: 1910
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:43 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:45 pm
bada wrote:I dont give Nelson the benefit of the doubt because of what happened in the past. Because I had a personal relationship with several Warriors in the early 90's, I was privy to things Nelson did and the attacks and humiliation in front of teammates to some of the players. He is a bully. Personally I dont like that approach.

There is a HUGE difference between being tough minded and demanding of your players and being using bully tactics and humiliation. Some respond to that, others dont.

Yes, I did play ball in high school and our coach woudl never accept talking back. He also was a guy who on two occassions slapped a kid on the bench duing time outs and someone who would continually demean us as a way to motivate. He is one of the winningest HS coaches in California HS history but I despised his methods. I know if I had the choice (like NBA players do to a degree) I would have left and played somewhere else in a heartbeat.

So maybe I am a bit sensative to these type of coaches based on MY history and the history of Nelson


I played for coaches who would bench you for making a mistake in game or for messing around off the court. It was effective. I never saw one of them lay a hand on any of my teammates... but they were NOT the winningest teams in the state. =)

I believe you that Nelson was a bully... but I also know that his players certainly seem forever loyal and he is amazing at developing talent. He did it with the Warriors, he did it with the Mavs and he might have helped do it with the Warriors again, but the jury is still out.

And, might I add, the guys he didn't play last year haven't emerged as contributors on other teams this year, and the guys he did opt to play instead (Pietrus and Barnes) have had success elsewhere.

Is he mismanaging his young players this year? I'm willing to hold off on judgment for a year or two and see what shakes out. We've all see BW and AR play this year and neither are budding superstars. Both have talent and have looked good in certain circumstances while looking like rookies in others. I'm not saying they don't deserve to play, because they do, but I don't think they're entitled to 30+ minutes a game because they might be our future. This is the NBA, not the developmental league.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
User avatar
Rookie
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:37 pm
Location: From the Bay to Sac and back
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:46 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:I believe you that Nelson was a bully... but I also know that his players certainly seem forever loyal and he is amazing at developing talent. He did it with the Warriors, he did it with the Mavs and he might have helped do it with the Warriors again, but the jury is still out.

And, might I add, the guys he didn't play last year haven't emerged as contributors on other teams this year, and the guys he did opt to play instead (Pietrus and Barnes) have had success elsewhere.


First post so not going to kick a dead dog on this one. Just wanted to reiterate StuckInSoCal's point that Nelson does seem to have an eye for developing young talent while simultaneously discarding other players who people always complain about not getting enough PT.
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."

Return to News Articles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest