Sanchez and Bradford

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:45 pm
I think in a way both of these guys made the wrong decisions.....as far as their pro careers go. Where is Sam Bradford going to go besides down? He HAS to win the National Title next year to increase his stock. If Oklahoma runs a more pro-style offense for him, then he may have a chance at improving his draft stock, but I think ultimately he will regret not coming out this year. On the other hand, you have to commend the guy for coming back and trying to resolve his unfinished business.

Sanchez, I think made a horrible mistake by declaring for the draft. WHY? You gotta go back for one more shot with USC. He is not going to be a very high pick this year, he could have come back and won his 3rd Rosebowl, maybe this time for the National Title and greatly improved his stock.

I dont know either of these guys backgrounds in regards to finances or upbringing, but I think as far as their NFL prospects go.....these 2 guys did what the other one should have done.

But Good Luck to both players.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:00 pm
Well, Sanchez played it smart. He was waiting to see what Bradford did. If Bradford declared, he probably would of stayed (as we all know, usually only 2 QBS are drafted in the first 32 picks and Stafford is definately gonna be one). Bradford was ready to declare skill wise, but i dont blame him for wanting to be in college another year. He might never again get the opportunity to be that "IT" guy, so he can get another year of glory until the uncertain NFL comes. Plus, he can still use some tweaking, so he could be the 1st overall pick in 2010.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:29 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Well, Sanchez played it smart. He was waiting to see what Bradford did. If Bradford declared, he probably would of stayed (as we all know, usually only 2 QBS are drafted in the first 32 picks and Stafford is definately gonna be one). Bradford was ready to declare skill wise, but i dont blame him for wanting to be in college another year. He might never again get the opportunity to be that "IT" guy, so he can get another year of glory until the uncertain NFL comes. Plus, he can still use some tweaking, so he could be the 1st overall pick in 2010.

Mr.C,
do you think Sanchez will be a first rounder? I dont see it. I think Stafford will go in the top 5, but I dont see another QB going very high at all. Sanchez seemed like a great college QB to me and not really a player whose game will translate onto the next level. And for Bradford, I have a feeling he will end up pulling a Leinhart, He could have been the #1 pick the year that SF drafted Alex Smith and ended up hurting his draft stock and ultimately costing himself millions and a 3 year starting gig in the NFL. I dont see Bradford as the #1 QB prospect this year, I think Stafford will be better....but he probably would have been a top 12 pick and next year, unless he just dominates, he probably will not be able to improve on that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:53 pm
"Always" Next wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Well, Sanchez played it smart. He was waiting to see what Bradford did. If Bradford declared, he probably would of stayed (as we all know, usually only 2 QBS are drafted in the first 32 picks and Stafford is definately gonna be one). Bradford was ready to declare skill wise, but i dont blame him for wanting to be in college another year. He might never again get the opportunity to be that "IT" guy, so he can get another year of glory until the uncertain NFL comes. Plus, he can still use some tweaking, so he could be the 1st overall pick in 2010.

Mr.C,
do you think Sanchez will be a first rounder? I dont see it. I think Stafford will go in the top 5, but I dont see another QB going very high at all. Sanchez seemed like a great college QB to me and not really a player whose game will translate onto the next level. And for Bradford, I have a feeling he will end up pulling a Leinhart, He could have been the #1 pick the year that SF drafted Alex Smith and ended up hurting his draft stock and ultimately costing himself millions and a 3 year starting gig in the NFL. I dont see Bradford as the #1 QB prospect this year, I think Stafford will be better....but he probably would have been a top 12 pick and next year, unless he just dominates, he probably will not be able to improve on that.

that bolded part is my point. The fact that theres no one else besides stafford thats highly regarded gives Sanchez the chance for being a first round. There several teams that need a QB, and sancchez will prolly be picked within the first 45 picks (late 1st, early 2nd). Minnesota, San Fran, KC, Seattle, Detroit, New York, and more will prolly think about drafting a QB either in the first or second rounds. So if Stafford is chosen by the Lions, than Sanchez is gonna look pretty good after.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:10 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:

Mr.C,

that bolded part is my point. The fact that theres no one else besides stafford thats highly regarded gives Sanchez the chance for being a first round. There several teams that need a QB, and sancchez will prolly be picked within the first 45 picks (late 1st, early 2nd). Minnesota, San Fran, KC, Seattle, Detroit, New York, and more will prolly think about drafting a QB either in the first or second rounds. So if Stafford is chosen by the Lions, than Sanchez is gonna look pretty good after.

Thats a good point, as of right now...he will be going up against Tebow, Bradford, McCoy and Harrell next season at least....so the QB crop should be deeper next year. I was looking more at Sanchez than the necessity so this probably was the year to come out for him.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:16 pm
I agree with Crackerz... once Bradford opted out, he was smart to declare. The quarter back class is pretty thin this year will guys staying put. Next year will be WAY deeper and will only push him down.

Now there is a chance that some team draft him higher than his grade because if they need a QB, they will have to take one earlier because there are not that many to choose from.

From a pure draft slot standpoint, Bradford could have made a mistake, but from a life perspective he made the right choice for him. I think he will be a better pro than Stafford. I think Stafford could be ok but I think he is highly overrated... but I felt the same way about Matt Ryan so what do I know :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:49 pm
bada wrote: Bradford could have made a mistake, but from a life perspective he made the right choice for him. I think he will be a better pro than Stafford. I think Stafford could be ok but I think he is highly overrated... but I felt the same way about Matt Ryan so what do I know :shock:

Agreed bada.. i too think stafford is overrated, and I too thought Ryan was too at this point last year. The fact that the job of scouts are to be talent evaluators, i do not question their decisions and rankings for the most part, especially in the NFL and MLB. Now the NBA, there too many bad scouts out there that dampen my opinion of them.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:00 pm
Sanchez & Bradford... it DOES sound like a poor mexican parody of Itchy & Scratchy. :mrgreen:

Any other year, I'd chime in, but I haven't had as much time to watch games this year, so I'll have to rely on your opinion, guys. I just want to say that QB is the hardest position to predict, so I wouldn't rely too much on scouting reports.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:01 pm
I think Bradford made a good choice. The good thing about this is that he gets all his weapons back. His huge TE Jermaine Gresham and solid blocking RT Trent Williams are returning. Plus, he gets DeMarco Murray back after missing out on the BCS. So the offense is still there. The bad thing is it's national title or bust.

Sanchez... he made the right decision. Mr. C and Bada were spot on, the QB class is weak in depth, so Sanchez will be picked quickly with all the teams in need of a QB.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:34 pm
It would not SHOCK me if the Niners took Sanchez at #10. It would be a suprising, but not shocking. I think Sanchez has a great shot at going int he 1st round with the lack of depth at QB in the draft and if he does, he made a great decision.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:39 pm
bada wrote:It would not SHOCK me if the Niners took Sanchez at #10. It would be a suprising, but not shocking. I think Sanchez has a great shot at going int he 1st round with the lack of depth at QB in the draft and if he does, he made a great decision.

ESPN's todd McShay has Sanchez going tenth to SF... i dunno what to think. The Combine will raise or lower his stock, and to the other QB prospects, so it is safe to say it is early to predict.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:43 pm
bada wrote:It would not SHOCK me if the Niners took Sanchez at #10. It would be a suprising, but not shocking. I think Sanchez has a great shot at going int he 1st round with the lack of depth at QB in the draft and if he does, he made a great decision.

It would shock me. If the 49ers take a QB before the 3rd round I might not watch the team. There are no QBs in the draft that are worth a first round pick, it would be repeating the Alex Smith debacle all over again. Sanchez is not ready to be in the NFL and should not have entered, yes he will get paid more, but is that all that is important?

Hill is not a long term answer, but he is serviceable. If we had a good O-Line and a pass rush we would make the playoffs even with Hill. So QB is not a top priority for us (I'd say it's 4th after DE, OT, and S). Taking a QB in the first round would be a HUGE mistake. The talent disparity between the QBs considered to be 1st round talent and those considered to be 3rd or 4th round is not that big and definitely worth the wait. Not to mention to take a QB with a top 10 pick is to make a commitment to a rebuilding project, which is not where we are as a team.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:00 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:

It would shock me. If the 49ers take a QB before the 3rd round I might not watch the team. There are no QBs in the draft that are worth a first round pick, it would be repeating the Alex Smith debacle all over again. Sanchez is not ready to be in the NFL and should not have entered, yes he will get paid more, but is that all that is important?

Hill is not a long term answer, but he is serviceable. If we had a good O-Line and a pass rush we would make the playoffs even with Hill. So QB is not a top priority for us (I'd say it's 4th after DE, OT, and S). Taking a QB in the first round would be a HUGE mistake. The talent disparity between the QBs considered to be 1st round talent and those considered to be 3rd or 4th round is not that big and definitely worth the wait. Not to mention to take a QB with a top 10 pick is to make a commitment to a rebuilding project, which is not where we are as a team.

True. I wouldn't waste it on a QB. I'd rather go for a safety or right tackle.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:04 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:Hill is not a long term answer, but he is serviceable. If we had a good O-Line and a pass rush we would make the playoffs even with Hill. So QB is not a top priority for us (I'd say it's 4th after DE, OT, and S).

That is true of every team in the NFL. If you have a dominant offensive line and can pressure the qb, you are a playoff team.

I agree it would be foolish for them to take Sanchez at 10.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:36 pm
Yet another NFL related post.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)

Return to Sports Board