New Years Eve BART shooting footage

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3069
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:32 pm
Location: San Jose
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:24 pm
gswrules wrote:The police officer who shot Oscar Grant is clearly lying! He didn't react as if he "accidentally" shot Grant. It took him quite a while to come up with the excuse that he "accidentally grabbed the taser."

I'm glad the "officer" was arrested. But why so late? He should have been arrested soon after the murder. I hate it when police officers get certain rights and privileges that others don't.

May justice be served!


The funny thing is that the taser excuse was made up for him. The department was speculating on what could have happened and came up with the taser excuse which is ridiculous.

All Star
Posts: 3078
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:03 am
Location: san jose
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:45 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:THIS is what protests and riots do. I'm not condoning violence, but sometimes public unrest is needed to prompt the correct action.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... .DTL&tsp=1

(01-14) 00:13 PST Oakland -- The BART police officer who fatally shot an unarmed man on an Oakland train platform and then refused to explain his actions to investigators was arrested Tuesday in Nevada on suspicion of murder, authorities said.

Johannes Mehserle, 27, of Lafayette was taken into custody in Douglas County, Nev., said Deputy Steve Velez of the Douglas County sheriff's office. The arrest was also confirmed by David Chai, chief of staff to Oakland Mayor Ron Dellums.


It took some time to arrest him despite the evidence against him. This is good news, it should calm the unrest in the city. I will really like to hear his explanation for the shooting.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3069
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:32 pm
Location: San Jose
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:03 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:THIS is what protests and riots do. I'm not condoning violence, but sometimes public unrest is needed to prompt the correct action.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... .DTL&tsp=1

(01-14) 00:13 PST Oakland -- The BART police officer who fatally shot an unarmed man on an Oakland train platform and then refused to explain his actions to investigators was arrested Tuesday in Nevada on suspicion of murder, authorities said.

Johannes Mehserle, 27, of Lafayette was taken into custody in Douglas County, Nev., said Deputy Steve Velez of the Douglas County sheriff's office. The arrest was also confirmed by David Chai, chief of staff to Oakland Mayor Ron Dellums.


It took some time to arrest him despite the evidence against him. This is good news, it should calm the unrest in the city. I will really like to hear his explanation for the shooting.


cap, you're on crack if you think rioting is what led to the arrest.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2334
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:33 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:14 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:THIS is what protests and riots do. I'm not condoning violence, but sometimes public unrest is needed to prompt the correct action.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... .DTL&tsp=1

(01-14) 00:13 PST Oakland -- The BART police officer who fatally shot an unarmed man on an Oakland train platform and then refused to explain his actions to investigators was arrested Tuesday in Nevada on suspicion of murder, authorities said.

Johannes Mehserle, 27, of Lafayette was taken into custody in Douglas County, Nev., said Deputy Steve Velez of the Douglas County sheriff's office. The arrest was also confirmed by David Chai, chief of staff to Oakland Mayor Ron Dellums.


It took some time to arrest him despite the evidence against him. This is good news, it should calm the unrest in the city. I will really like to hear his explanation for the shooting.


cap, you're on crack if you think rioting is what led to the arrest.


I know that rioting is what led to this arrest. If this had not been caught on tape and had not created some serious public protest this would have been swept under the rug by the city and the police department. It would have been written off as the guy resisting arrest and the officer reacting appropriately. He may have resigned or moved to a different department, but he would not have been arrested.
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3069
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:32 pm
Location: San Jose
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:42 pm
having it caught on tape is what got him arrested, not the rioting. All the different camera angles show that there was no surprise when he fired the shot. So it looks like intent which is a probable cause for the charge of murder. If it wouldn't have been caught on tape you could be right, probably are right in terms of the police trying to sweep it under the rug. But you can't say " look at what the rioting produced" , that's ridiculous cap. The people marching had more of an effect than the people causing destruction.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2334
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:33 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:00 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:having it caught on tape is what got him arrested, not the rioting. All the different camera angles show that there was no surprise when he fired the shot. So it looks like intent which is a probable cause for the charge of murder. If it wouldn't have been caught on tape you could be right, probably are right in terms of the police trying to sweep it under the rug. But you can't say " look at what the rioting produced" , that's ridiculous cap. The people marching had more of an effect than the people causing destruction.


If that were the case they would have arrested him immediately. Those videos are damning evidence, there was no reason for a full out "investigation", but because it was a cop they did one any way.

Like I said before, I am not condoning violence or destruction, but as proven throughout history public dissent and "revolution" are often the only ways to get things done. Peaceful demonstrations would not have had nearly the same effect, they would have put some pressure, but this put serious pressure and serious pressure to act quickly.
Image

All Star
Posts: 1471
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: SF
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:12 pm
the media and whatnot were all over this even before the videos came out. After the videos, it started to make national news and then came the protests. i like to think that justice would have been served without the riots, but it's something we can never prove.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2334
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:33 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:30 pm
fine wrote:the media and whatnot were all over this even before the videos came out. After the videos, it started to make national news and then came the protests. i like to think that justice would have been served without the riots, but it's something we can never prove.


Thing is, it's not national news. Aside from the initial report, there has not been one story about this on the news down here in San Diego. There has been absolutely nothing since New Years.
Image

Moderator
Posts: 5360
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:48 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:
fine wrote:the media and whatnot were all over this even before the videos came out. After the videos, it started to make national news and then came the protests. i like to think that justice would have been served without the riots, but it's something we can never prove.


Thing is, it's not national news. Aside from the initial report, there has not been one story about this on the news down here in San Diego. There has been absolutely nothing since New Years.


It is national news capt... its been all over CNN for like a week.

My opinion in this matter is much like Robs. The rioting did not lead to a quicker or slower resolution. The fact is, it was an on going investigation and the police did their job. If they were going to do something, they were going to resolve it right. It would be completely ludicrous if rioting was a deciding factor in this matter. How unjust would that be if that happened?
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2334
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:33 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:50 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
fine wrote:the media and whatnot were all over this even before the videos came out. After the videos, it started to make national news and then came the protests. i like to think that justice would have been served without the riots, but it's something we can never prove.


Thing is, it's not national news. Aside from the initial report, there has not been one story about this on the news down here in San Diego. There has been absolutely nothing since New Years.


It is national news capt... its been all over CNN for like a week.

My opinion in this matter is much like Robs. The rioting did not lead to a quicker or slower resolution. The fact is, it was an on going investigation and the police did their job. If they were going to do something, they were going to resolve it right. It would be completely ludicrous if rioting was a deciding factor in this matter. How unjust would that be if that happened?


I guess SD doesn't think it's important, I watch the news every night...they haven't talked about it.
Image

Moderator
Posts: 5360
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:58 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
fine wrote:the media and whatnot were all over this even before the videos came out. After the videos, it started to make national news and then came the protests. i like to think that justice would have been served without the riots, but it's something we can never prove.


Thing is, it's not national news. Aside from the initial report, there has not been one story about this on the news down here in San Diego. There has been absolutely nothing since New Years.


It is national news capt... its been all over CNN for like a week.

My opinion in this matter is much like Robs. The rioting did not lead to a quicker or slower resolution. The fact is, it was an on going investigation and the police did their job. If they were going to do something, they were going to resolve it right. It would be completely ludicrous if rioting was a deciding factor in this matter. How unjust would that be if that happened?


I guess SD doesn't think it's important, I watch the news every night...they haven't talked about it.


haha what station do u watch there.. i use to watch channel 8 when i was down there (the CBS affiliate one i think). Not that the news was better or worse than the other ones, just the anchor chick was smoking hot.

But yeah, i stick with newspapers or online for real news, and not the puff pieces from local stations.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3069
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:32 pm
Location: San Jose
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:31 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:having it caught on tape is what got him arrested, not the rioting. All the different camera angles show that there was no surprise when he fired the shot. So it looks like intent which is a probable cause for the charge of murder. If it wouldn't have been caught on tape you could be right, probably are right in terms of the police trying to sweep it under the rug. But you can't say " look at what the rioting produced" , that's ridiculous cap. The people marching had more of an effect than the people causing destruction.


If that were the case they would have arrested him immediately. Those videos are damning evidence, there was no reason for a full out "investigation", but because it was a cop they did one any way.

Like I said before, I am not condoning violence or destruction, but as proven throughout history public dissent and "revolution" are often the only ways to get things done. Peaceful demonstrations would not have had nearly the same effect, they would have put some pressure, but this put serious pressure and serious pressure to act quickly.


The strength is in numbers not in the violence. You can have a great number of people and they can make themselves heard. You don't have to riot to be heard. The guy ran to Nevada, i'm sure he left immediately, and to be honest, i'm sure some people on the force helped him get out there. But he was not going to get away from this. The video is there. I see your point Cap, but i don't think you can draw a direct cause and effect between the riots and the arrest, which you did on your first post.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2334
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:33 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:39 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
fine wrote:the media and whatnot were all over this even before the videos came out. After the videos, it started to make national news and then came the protests. i like to think that justice would have been served without the riots, but it's something we can never prove.


Thing is, it's not national news. Aside from the initial report, there has not been one story about this on the news down here in San Diego. There has been absolutely nothing since New Years.


It is national news capt... its been all over CNN for like a week.

My opinion in this matter is much like Robs. The rioting did not lead to a quicker or slower resolution. The fact is, it was an on going investigation and the police did their job. If they were going to do something, they were going to resolve it right. It would be completely ludicrous if rioting was a deciding factor in this matter. How unjust would that be if that happened?


I guess SD doesn't think it's important, I watch the news every night...they haven't talked about it.


haha what station do u watch there.. i use to watch channel 8 when i was down there (the CBS affiliate one i think). Not that the news was better or worse than the other ones, just the anchor chick was smoking hot.

But yeah, i stick with newspapers or online for real news, and not the puff pieces from local stations.


I usually watch 7/39. I'm currently boycotting CNN, they pissed me off. I hate San Diego newscasters, they're so unprofessional, sometimes they even tell inside jokes on the air...it's just ridiculous.
Image

All Star
Posts: 1097
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:49 am
Location: Sunnyvale
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:46 am
Captain_Jack wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:having it caught on tape is what got him arrested, not the rioting. All the different camera angles show that there was no surprise when he fired the shot. So it looks like intent which is a probable cause for the charge of murder. If it wouldn't have been caught on tape you could be right, probably are right in terms of the police trying to sweep it under the rug. But you can't say " look at what the rioting produced" , that's ridiculous cap. The people marching had more of an effect than the people causing destruction.


If that were the case they would have arrested him immediately. Those videos are damning evidence, there was no reason for a full out "investigation", but because it was a cop they did one any way.

Like I said before, I am not condoning violence or destruction, but as proven throughout history public dissent and "revolution" are often the only ways to get things done. Peaceful demonstrations would not have had nearly the same effect, they would have put some pressure, but this put serious pressure and serious pressure to act quickly.


Persons of the law do not get "arrested immediately." Evidence needs to be reviewed. Ie. if a police officer shoots a real criminal in the back. the shooting still gets reviewed and action is taken to see if the police was negligent or what not.

Proven throughout history? peaceful demonstration got the Jena 6 boys fair trials. No riots there... or none i heard of at least.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1787
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Where Da Wild Things R
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:24 pm
if he doesnt get setenced 2 any time in tha bing........oakland will burn.....this much i'm sure of......
Image
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest