Biggest Bonus

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Who's play has been the most above what we expected so far?

Derek Fisher
50%
Baron Davis
4%
Ike Diogu
15%
Jason Richardson
8%
Troy Murphy
8%
Other (Specify)
15%

Total votes : 26

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:56 am
#32 wrote:What I'm saying is that expecting anything out of him puts pressure on him and (if his rookie and contract years are any sign) he doesn't respond well to pressure at all! Just let him be and you'll start to be impressed. When no one's looking, Mike usually shines.

It's like a shy cat who's gonna rub against your leg and jump in front of you, but the moment you look at him at try to pet him, he runs away. That's basically Mike, over-simplified.

THIS IS THE NBA!!!!!!!!! Pressure has always existed and many people are always watching!!!!!!

By what you've said, Dunleavy will never be anything in the nba! Hope your wrong, unless he gets traded then sure, he can stay shiit

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:59 am
TMC wrote:Trade him to the Hawks. Not even their own fans go to the games. If you're right, he'd be a star there.

8)

hahahahahahahaha

Hangon.......... the Hawks have some 6 players that are better than dun :shock:

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:34 am
migya wrote:THIS IS THE NBA!!!!!!!!! Pressure has always existed and many people are always watching!!!!!!

By what you've said, Dunleavy will never be anything in the nba! Hope your wrong, unless he gets traded then sure, he can stay shiit

Not necessarily. Do you see how good Antawn Jamison got when he arrived on the Wizards? It's almost like, as Gilbert's 2nd man, he was relieved of the spotlight early and allowed to play his own game without so much pressure. I'm not saying Dunleavy needs NO pressure to opperate (because that's absurd), I'm saying that the MORE pressure you put on him (like how you are right now) is what's holding him back! No one in the Bay has stopped expecting things from him. He seems to be to us what Calbert Cheaney was to Washington. In a way, I kind of hope he leaves and goes somewhere else... because he might flourish without so much pressure as "THE NUMBER 3 DRAFT PICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"...

Just let him be who he is and stop demanding things from him.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:02 pm
#32 wrote:I'm not saying Dunleavy needs NO pressure to opperate (because that's absurd), I'm saying that the MORE pressure you put on him (like how you are right now) is what's holding him back! No one in the Bay has stopped expecting things from him.

Dunleavy will never be free of pressure in Oakland. He was our number 3 pick, and the team has shown commitment to him, even though many fans were against it. He'll face that pressure, or even more, during his whole career with the Warriors.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:18 pm
i think the whole dunleavy thing is blown out of proportion. at the time, warriors got screwed getting the 3rd pick (should have been 1st or 2nd since tied with chicago for worst record) in the jason williams/yao ming sweepstakes. general consensus at the time was for MDJ to go 3rd, as he was the next best out of the next tier of talen. no one could have predicted how well amare did (especially after the kwame brown fiasco).
and now, the biggest reason people hate dunleavy now is for his contract (aside from the fact that people also hate unathletic guys more). true he has pressure, and will always face pressure. he SHOULDN'T have to face the pressure of boos from his own fans though. i still believe and hope that his shooting will turn around. he's at least shown the balls to shoot 3's in pressure situations, and he's hit some big ones this year.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:17 pm
#32 wrote:
migya wrote:THIS IS THE NBA!!!!!!!!! Pressure has always existed and many people are always watching!!!!!!

Not necessarily. Do you see how good Antawn Jamison got when he arrived on the Wizards? It's almost like, as Gilbert's 2nd man, he was relieved of the spotlight early and allowed to play his own game without so much pressure. I'm not saying Dunleavy needs NO pressure to opperate (because that's absurd), I'm saying that the MORE pressure you put on him (like how you are right now) is what's holding him back! No one in the Bay has stopped expecting things from him. He seems to be to us what Calbert Cheaney was to Washington. In a way, I kind of hope he leaves and goes somewhere else... because he might flourish without so much pressure as "THE NUMBER 3 DRAFT PICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"...

Just let him be who he is and stop demanding things from him.

Antawn Jamison did more than dun in the Warriors! Everyone is under the same pressure, look at JRich and Baron, people expect these guys to carry the team somewhat and they come throw! Jamison is still expected to produce in the Wizards, besides Arenas, they got noone! There is no excuse

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:06 am
migya wrote:Antawn Jamison did more than dun in the Warriors! Everyone is under the same pressure, look at JRich and Baron, people expect these guys to carry the team somewhat and they come throw! Jamison is still expected to produce in the Wizards, besides Arenas, they got noone! There is no excuse

Again, not necessarily. Jason didn't come in with the initial pressure that Mike did. Being selected at #5, we expected big things out of him... but not initially. Besides, he was known as an athletic freak moreso than a skilled player. His development was a major factor to his success. If he was still just Mickael Pietrus, we wouldn't be cheering for him NEARLY as loud. JRich has turned into a complete player, but it took time. And the only reason Baron came in with that pressure was because he already proved in New Orleans that he was a star. We demanded a lot out of him because he was an NBA proven, league-feared superstar. Thats a lot different than a draft pick. And you can say Jamison did better, as far as numbers, for the Warriors (because he always looks out for his owns stats), but which team is winning? The one with Mike or the one with Antawn? Save your nit-picky comments about "well, if Jamison had Mike's supporting cast" or whatever. BOTTOM LINE, which team is winning? That's all that matters.

Being a #3 draft pick means more pressure... regardless of talent. Do you think the fans would be satisfied with JRich if we picked HIM at #3 or do you think they'd be bitching about how we missed out on Richard Jefferson! Fans are NEVER satisfied with ANY talented pick made by their own team if a more talented player was left in the draft! If you look at Dunleavy's Draft Board, it's humbling! It makes you realize he WAS the 3rd best pick in the draft... because the draft that year sucked! There were NO talented players at all! People continue to cry about Drew Gooden, but what the hell has he done yet? NOTHING. It's a draft filled with potential and Mike has delivered the 3rd best performance so far!

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:36 am
I never was a big Fisher fan; however, he has surpassed all expectations. He has been...as wierd as this may sound...clutch. I give him my props. The man is playing solid ball and the Warriors are damned lucky to have him on the team (especially with Baron Davis's propensity for getting hurt).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:00 pm
That sort of comment seems to be coming from all the former doubters of Derek Fisher. The guy's game has been so good thus far this season, no one can deny his value or skills. Thats the sort of thing a team loves to have; a doubted player shuting EVERY SINGLE critic up. I love it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:51 pm
#32 wrote:That sort of comment seems to be coming from all the former doubters of Derek Fisher. The guy's game has been so good thus far this season, no one can deny his value or skills. Thats the sort of thing a team loves to have; a doubted player shuting EVERY SINGLE critic up. I love it.

Not me. I never liked him as a pg, and still don't. But I've never denied his shooting touch and his clutchness...

Back on topic. I don't think Dunleavy is the third best player of his draft. He's clearly behind Amare, Yao & Tayshaun Prince, and, at least for me, also behind Caron Butler. And you can also make a case for Carlos Boozer (even if I don't like him).

But you're right about that draft. It sucked...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:49 pm
TMC wrote:
Back on topic. I don't think Dunleavy is the third best player of his draft. He's clearly behind Amare, Yao & Tayshaun Prince, and, at least for me, also behind Caron Butler. And you can also make a case for Carlos Boozer (even if I don't like him).

But you're right about that draft. It sucked...

That's right, dun was not the 3rd best in that draft!

#32, JRich would still be loved by the fans whether he had been the 3rd pick instead of the 5th pick - Not much difference!

Look at this way - JRich's rookie season was better than dun's best season so far (being last season)!

Dunleavy has been one of the biggest disappointments the Warriors have has for sometime! And yes, the team is winning more than when Jamison was here becuase the team is better, it has nothing to do with Dunleavy. Everyone else on the team has gotten better this season except for him!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:18 pm
TMC wrote:Not me. I never liked him as a pg, and still don't. But I've never denied his shooting touch and his clutchness...

That's not the point. The point is that you can no longer make a logical case for Derek Fisher being bad for the team because he helps us win so much, the argument would fall apart. Not liking certain aspects of his game is different.

migya wrote:That's right, dun was not the 3rd best in that draft!

#32, JRich would still be loved by the fans whether he had been the 3rd pick instead of the 5th pick - Not much difference!

Eh, you're speaking as if Jason would have always been this good. I'm telling you, if JR came in with the kind of pressure Mike had, he might not be where he is today. Also, the bar would have been set higher for him, so (regardless of how good he is) you'd always have a doubting fan on a forum somewhere cutting down all his good games because "he should be doing that sort of thing every night" or something. The truth is, expectation ruins a player's game. If fans demand steak and can only get a burger, they need to still respect the fact that at least they got food! If you don't get it, here's an example: How would you like Mike Dunleavy if we got him in the 2nd round? You'd be all over him right now, I guarentee it (at LEAST, all over him last season... maybe not now)! Expectation is the only reason you hold Mike to such a high standard. It's unfair and shouldn't be that way. Mike was our fourth best player last year... no use denying it! But because so many fans demand more of him, people don't give him credit. JR would have been the same way if you set the bar that high to begin with and he failed his first shot at it. Pressure makes EVERYONE crumble when they fail to respond to it (and, no, players can't CHOOSE to respond pressure. If the pressure was averaging 15 points a game, Mike Dunleavy can't CHOOSE to average 15 points a game. He can only come out and give his best, which he's doing, so I don't bust his chops too much. Give him a break. He's not that bad.)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:18 pm
#32 wrote:That's not the point. The point is that you can no longer make a logical case for Derek Fisher being bad for the team because he helps us win so much, the argument would fall apart. Not liking certain aspects of his game is different.

It's the same point. While he's great for the team when he's sharing pg duties witth Baron, he's a burden if he has to do it by himself, so he's bad for the team in that specific situation. I haven't changed my feelings...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:29 pm
#32 wrote:
migya wrote:That's right, dun was not the 3rd best in that draft!

Eh, you're speaking as if Jason would have always been this good. I'm telling you, if JR came in with the kind of pressure Mike had, he might not be where he is today. Also, the bar would have been set higher for him, so (regardless of how good he is).

JRich did come in with high expectations! He was a great player coming to a struggling team that needed some exciting, something he was best known for.

#32 wrote:The truth is, expectation ruins a player's game. If you don't get it, here's an example: How would you like Mike Dunleavy if we got him in the 2nd round? You'd be all over him right now, I guarentee it (at LEAST, all over him last season... maybe not now)! Expectation is the only reason you hold Mike to such a high standard. It's unfair and shouldn't be that way.

Ofcourse everyone would think he was good value!!!!!!!!! BUT the fact is he was the 3rd pick! If you get picked high in the draft it is "suppose" to mean that you are one of the best that year and at least better than the rest of the players in the draft picked after you.

Reality is - Dunleavy is not performng well this season and has not responded well to the expectations, the same expectations that any player coming nito the nba and picked that highly gets! The man has been given every opportunity so far to make a productive career for himself but has not done it to say the least!

#32 wrote:Pressure makes EVERYONE crumble when they fail to respond to it (and, no, players can't CHOOSE to respond pressure. If the pressure was averaging 15 points a game, Mike Dunleavy can't CHOOSE to average 15 points a game. He can only come out and give his best, which he's doing, so I don't bust his chops too much. Give him a break. He's not that bad.)

Not everyone crumbles under pressure!! I'm not going to list the many nba players who have had a good career and have not crumbled because they are so many!

As far as giving his best - Dunleavy did better last season so what he has done so far this season can't be his best! If it is, then Mullin has made a monumental mistake and has to clean it up as soon as possible!

I have said before and I meant it - I want Dunleavy to play well because that will mean the Golden State Warriors will be better off!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:30 am
#32 wrote:How would you like Mike Dunleavy if we got him in the 2nd round? You'd be all over him right now, I guarentee it (at LEAST, all over him last season... maybe not now)!

If he were a second rounder, he would have been cut a while ago. The only reason he sticks with the team is because he was the third pick in the whole draft, and nobody wants to take the blame for those mistakes.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball