I'm in the middle...
No votes

Total votes : 1

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:20 pm
Indiana Pacers

Where They've Come From...

The Pacers haven't been far from the hunt in the East for the past 15 years. Save for an irregular season or two, the Pacers have been a consistently good team. They appear to be a rare breed, as well; very few teams can transition so well from one generation to the next. Rik Smits, Chuck Person, and Reggie Miller's Pacers have now become Jermaine O'Neal, Ron Artest, and Stephen Jackson's Pacers without so much as a lottery pick. In fact, very few people give Indiana the sort of credit they deserve for staying at the top. The Bulls, The Celtics, The Rockets... all are former NBA Championship teams who have been in the NBA Draft Lottery multiple times since their last ring. Even the Los Angeles Lakers seem to be starting over since their Shaq & Kobe days of yesteryear. The Pacers never had to start over. A flawless transition which needs much praise. Reggie's Pacers were a continual play-off threat. Jermaine's Pacers appear to be in the same boat and it didn't even take one season of rebuilding.

A+

Where They Are...

Although Indiana remains around the top, they haven't reached the peak of the mountain for quite some time now. Miller left the game as another all-time great who was probably robbed out of championship glory by Michael Jordan and his Dynasty in Chicago. Despite being good enough to stick around at the top of the East, Indiana still looks like a main-event team that isn't destined for the big win. At the moment, Miami and Detroit rank higher than them in my eyes. Only two teams... but when you're dealing with a Conference battle, that's all you need. Indiana looks like a team capable of getting to the 2nd round... possibly the Conference Finals, but being halted there. Jermaine O'Neal is a stud when he's having a 25 /10 game with 2 blocks, but his bad games can be jaw-dropping. As a fantasy owner of the star PF, I can personally tell you that his ups and downs are equally drastic. One game, he scored 28 points with 15 boards. The next game, he scored under 15 and got 8 turnovers. A star player needs to be less sporadic. Their 2nd option is the unbelievably talented enigma, Ron Artest. When Artest feels like playing, he's the team's best player, hands down, and an extremely valid pick for best defensive player in the game today. However, few players have the kind of backswing Artest does. Anytime you have a player on the roster who's mental capacity allows him to leap into the stands and take on their entire Palace at Auburn Hills, you're in trouble (regardless of his MVP-caliber talent). Artest and O'Neal's biggest flaws are inconsistency. If the Pacers got them to play at their high level game-after-game, I truly believe Indiana would be unstoppable in the East. Their highest of highs are what make taking their lowest of lows worthwhile.

B-

Where They're Going...

Unfortunately, Indiana's consistency problems don't appear to be going anywhere. Jackson, O'Neal, and Artest are all young studs worth having on a team, but their on/off ratios need to improve in order for Indiana to go anywhere. They have the talent to be one of the biggest teams in the league. However, Bird's collection of talented misfits with demons to fight off the court (as well as on, in the case of Artest) is a perfect example of why it takes more than pure talent to win the big one.

B
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:05 pm
I agree pretty much with everything. The main problem this team has is the inconsistant game from the pg position. Tinsley is a good playmaker, but not reliable as a shooter, Jasikevicius is a great shooter but and awful defender, Anthony Johnson is... Anthony Johnson...

The center ain't nothing great, too. Foster is a great rebounder, and that's all. Harrison is a question mark...

They are the classical "what if?" team. A borderline contender, with many issues that needs to take care of.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:13 pm
Another #32 ramble! At least you make conversation!

You are right about the Pacers, they are just never going to win it all but seem to be a playoff type team for some time yet. I for think that teams like Cavs are already better than the Pacers because they are more complete and their layers play their roles better

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:34 am
I dunno, migya... any game with the Pacers is always a toss-up because you never know what you're going to get from this new squad. Jasikevicius could come out firing (he seems to be the new Ginobli), Jermaine might be a dominanat force, maybe even Ron Artest would shut down LeBron during the entire contest. But, then again, maybe not. Their inconsistency is what's holding them back. A team like Detroit, where you expect players to show up BIG every game, is a contender, while a team like Indiana, where a player will unexpectedly disappear or come up with a huge game, is still a question mark.

Here's an interesting thought: imagine Ron Artest and Jermaine O'Neal ALWAYS playing at their highest level, like most stars in the league. How unstoppable would the Pacers be? Sure, they'd still lack a PG and a C, like TMC pointed out, but how great would they be? I'd say they'd give the Pistons a run for their money in the East.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:24 pm
But the two weakest positions for them, PG and Center, will always standout. Jasikvicious, is not a defensive player and is yet to find his mark. The Pacers ae just the sort of team that don't go all the way

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:52 pm
I agree, but you can't deny they'll always be close...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:34 am
Depends what happens now that Artest seems destined to get traded. If the Pacers can replace him adequately, then they can stay as contenders, otherwise it will be a fall almost out of the playoffs. Besides Jermaine, they have no stars

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:37 pm
They have enough to get to the playoffs in the east. Stephen Jax, Fred Jones, Granger, Tinsley, Saras... seems like a good supporting cast for Jermaine.

But, pending on who would they get to replace Artest, they might fall from that contender status.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:26 pm
Artest for Garnett?

... do I smell a blockbuster? KG would propel the already dangerous Pacers into the championship game. That'd be a good trade to make for Indiana (no, I still don't think he'd help US get that far in the playoffs. Don't comment against me). If the Pacers can manage a KG for Artest trade, they're in business. Garnett played small forward his first few seasons in the league... I think he and Jermaine would be unstopable in the front court! What a pair of twin towers they'd make!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:15 am
The TWolves would not be that stupid! Look at it, it makes no sense to the TWolves - Artest is a headcase and with guys like Hassel (he has been said to be a little bad tempered) and McCants, who are also attitudes, it is a recipe for complete disaster! KG keeps all those guys together and positive, he is respected and followed. Artest is neither of those things and the TWolves would fall in a very ugly way! Artest is also a SF, which the TWolves have lots of. Who would be their PF........ Truth is the Pacers have noone, besides Jermaine that is a good big guy, so any trade there would be gone!

I'm thinking more, Artest to the Knicks for Marbury and QRich. The Knicks would do that and the Pacers would get a great PG (finally) and a replacemant SF who, in the right environment, can be very good. The Kicks have Nate Robinson who is a very good PG so they will be alright. This is a major possibility!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:18 am
migya wrote:I'm thinking more, Artest to the Knicks for Marbury and QRich. The Knicks would do that and the Pacers would get a great PG (finally) and a replacemant SF who, in the right environment, can be very good. The Kicks have Nate Robinson who is a very good PG so they will be alright. This is a major possibility!

Doesn't work under the cap. Indy would have to throw several more contracts, and I don't they're interested in losing more talent just to grab a me-first pg and a shooter who can't shoot anymore...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:10 am
Artest having a not so big contract will really stuff the Pacers up - that could be a huge problem

Return to Sports Board