New Years Eve BART shooting footage

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:34 pm
I had heard about this a few days back but, when I saw this article and all the videos that go along with it I had to post it:

Brief summary is that Oscar Grant III was at the Fruitvale BART station when he was detained by BART police along with some other people. He was being held down face first by to officers when one of them pulled his gun out and shot him through the chest which killed him instantly.

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Video_sho ... _0105.html
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:19 pm
That's awful. I mean, the guy wasn't doing ANYTHING or fighting back at all! It seems like a racially motivated hate crime from my perspective. I hope that cop gets thrown in jail.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:21 pm
Disgusting stuff............was he a toy cop, employed by BART or actually part of the SFPD?

The guys family are suing BART for 25 mil if Im not mistaken.............damb, in this financial climate, thats the last thing any company needs..........but if they employ utter wastes of oxygen like this "person", then they deserve it.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:55 pm
Wow, I can't imagine anything other than this being racially motivated crime like JayPat said. That's just barbaric to see. He didn't do anything. Just wow..
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:34 pm
That is horrible, what a fuckin coward. They had the guy subdued, who knows if he did anything to begin with. He seemed to be pleading with the officers prior to that. the guy pulls out a gun and shoots him in the back? So sad, that a young kid had to go through that and his family knows that their sons last moments are out there for everybody to see. really makes me sad.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:02 pm
Yeah I agree with what everyone has said.
I believe that cops alot of times get a bad rap just for being cops. I definitely don't think that cops are all bad but this guy deserves everything that is coming to him, there is absolutely no excuse for him pulling out his gun and shooting him even if he "thought" he was pulling out a tazer.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:46 pm
You know, it is wrong that the boy got shot dead and there does have to be be a consequence for the cops involved, as it looked like a situation they had under control and there was no risk to them, but there has to be more understanding between two groups of people. I understand that it is your freedom to walk around public places and there is freedom of speech, but in situations like that, all people being spoken to by police need to be non vulgar and as peaceful as possible. I'm not saying you have to bow down and kiss their feet, but it doesn't make you a pansy for answering questions and using polite language. Police have to be well trained, which I assume they are, as they are over here, and they need to use restraint, but it is a tense situation for them if they are encountered with a group of youths that seem to be noncompliant and maybe even violent. I'm not saying that was the case here, it was hard to tell as all you can get out of it is a heap of screaming and cops standing around a couple of the boys. Noone should have died in that situation and the police need to receive a harsh consequence, but the truth is they probably won't. The government almost always supports their police and so does most of society, as people want security and a peaceful, predictable life above all else and they are scared of groups who seem outside those boundaries somewhat

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:16 am
sad...

sickening...

disgusting...

pathetic...

unjust...
Wish List

*New Owner and Management =D>
*Trade Monta
*Trade Maggette =D>
*Tank the season, get the top pick and draft Harrison Barnes
to be continued...
Role Player
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:18 pm
It is certainly tragic and upsetting. I don't mean to belittle the death of the young man -- or of this situation as a whole -- but I really believe this was an accident (i.e. the cop thought he was firing his tazer). I hate making assumptions about people, especially when they're accusatory in nature. So for now I will simply say that I wish the best for the family and I hope more evidence comes to light so that we may know the full story before making any judgments.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:53 pm
D4rk 0ne wrote:It is certainly tragic and upsetting. I don't mean to belittle the death of the young man -- or of this situation as a whole -- but I really believe this was an accident (i.e. the cop thought he was firing his tazer). I hate making assumptions about people, especially when they're accusatory in nature. So for now I will simply say that I wish the best for the family and I hope more evidence comes to light so that we may know the full story before making any judgments.

how could you mistakenly not only pull your gun instead of your tazer...but fire it? I dont believe the officer intentionally intended to end this young mans life, but I think he got caught up, got scared and panicked. If what happened to this man goes unpunished, we are going to see some trouble in the streets. This was simply an inexcusable act committed by an officer of the law.
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:50 pm
I believe they will win this case ($25 mil) if not than u can call it O.J simpson II......

There is no way u shot this guy while everything under control...

Fruitvale Bart is my Bart station, everytime went to W's game and Raiders game i have to commute from this station but now this bart become the saddest station in BayArea :cry:

i just wish Justice will come....
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:04 pm
you hear about the riots tonight?... man I'm so glad I moved out of oakland.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:08 pm
Yeap. My dad works in Alameda, and there were some riots couple blocks from his work. He's fine, but he could hear all the things going on. They're burning and breaking things.

I think the policeman resigned, on a side note.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:12 pm
My woman's mom was trying to get into Alameda around 7 tonight and she said that they had to do this huge circle around the area where the riots were taking place, she said she was surprised they could even get in.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:06 am
This situation is awful. That poor kid was only 22. The rent a cop's excuse was that he was trying to taze him but grabbed the wrong weapon accidentally. yeah sure. Do these people not get trained? I'm sure that is something that gets stressed in their training. He should go to jail for manslaughter one at least from what I've gathered of the crime.
I suppose the family should sue, although all the money in the world isn't going to bring their son back. Now more senseless violence. I hope the rioters come to their senses before more people get hurt or worse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
Next

Return to Off-Topic Forum