The Oakland Athletics Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:46 pm
rebel wrote:Yes, but not all of his trades worked, ex tim hudson and milton. If it is a system that works were is our fuckin ring

whoa now guy, be patient, you've got many years to wait for that. What did they get for hudson and milton, i don't even know. Also, the pitching staff is one of the better ones in the AL with young players up and coming. So losing hudson doesn't hurt, and harden will hurt in the short term but you'll get over it.

And the system works for the financial constraints that have been put on beane. Your Oakland A's could be the Kansas City Royals, so yeah, the system works.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:56 pm
I'm 14 teen, I'm getting old i can't wait much longer, I :banghead: could die by the end of october.
I like pie
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:33 pm
I'm 20, my Giants made it to the World Series 6 years ago, went up 3-2, lost the series anyway. Since then, it's been pretty dark. Don't trip.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:47 pm
xbay wrote:I'm 20, my Giants made it to the World Series 6 years ago, went up 3-2, lost the series anyway. Since then, it's been pretty dark. Don't trip.
Yep I remember that My grandpa died that year on october-13, so when he died I kinda rooted for the giants that year. I was eight. I'd rather have you guys win then the Angels anyday. I remember how they got there to. first they beat the cubs, then the cardinals,.
I like pie
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:46 pm
rebel wrote:
xbay wrote:I'm 20, my Giants made it to the World Series 6 years ago, went up 3-2, lost the series anyway. Since then, it's been pretty dark. Don't trip.

Yep I remember that My grandpa died that year on october-13, so when he died I kinda rooted for the giants that year. I was eight. I'd rather have you guys win then the Angels anyday. I remember how they got there to. first they beat the cubs, then the cardinals,.

Sorry to hear that.

I'm still trying to forget that series. Still hurts that we couldn't bring it home. Freaking Dusty was over managing that series. Should have started Schmidt that game instead of Hernandez.

So tough to be a bay area fan these days.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:53 pm
A's=We give up our great players, and we are to cheap to keep at least one

Giants=Have a problem with talented youth

Warriors=damn if only there was a nine seed

Raiders=Al Davis

Niners=pssh they just suck

Sharks=They should classify it off of how well you do it in the regular season not the playoffs damn league

Sabercats=who cares its arena
I like pie

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:15 pm
BUMP

The A's are about to finalize a deal for Giambi... one year with an option of another year... I like the deal for my #2 team.
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:40 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:BUMP

The A's are about to finalize a deal for Giambi... one year with an option of another year... I like the deal for my #2 team.

you beat me to it Mr.C,
I am very excited about this move. Giambi was my favorite player during his first stay in Oakland and I think its a really good move for the Franchise. He was signed for pennies on the dollar.....only guaranteed year being at about 4 million with the option year being 6.5 or a 1.25mil buyout. The middle of the A's lineup is looking pretty formidable if Chavez can stay healthy with Holliday / Cust / G / Chavez....not too bad. I am getting very excited about this season.....cant wait for Spring Training......it will make it much easier when the Dubs can be my secondary sports focus.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:03 pm
Yeah, good signing. It was expected, too, as there were rumors all off season that he'd return back to Oakland. Is he going to play some first base along with being the DH?
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:24 pm
xbay wrote:Yeah, good signing. It was expected, too, as there were rumors all off season that he'd return back to Oakland. Is he going to play some first base along with being the DH?

I think he is...I would say that Cust will play some LF and DH and G will play some 1B and DH and hopefully Barton will play well enough to Keep Giambi out of the field.

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:45 pm
Im pretty sure cust is gonna be traded for a minor leaguer or something... cuz he can't field, and neither can giambi, and im certain there gonna DH giambi full time.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:40 am
I think this move indicates they want to send Barton to the bench or AAA, or have Giambi DH and Cust in the outfield if Buck struggles. I think it's a good move, and it will add some pop and solidify our decent hitting core of Giambi, Cust, Holliday, Sweeney, etc. We will finally be able to provide some decent run support. Now, if only Gallagher and Eveland could live up to their potential. :roll:
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:33 am
JayPat wrote:I think this move indicates they want to send Barton to the bench or AAA, or have Giambi DH and Cust in the outfield if Buck struggles. I think it's a good move, and it will add some pop and solidify our decent hitting core of Giambi, Cust, Holliday, Sweeney, etc. We will finally be able to provide some decent run support. Now, if only Gallagher and Eveland could live up to their potential. :roll:

I agree JayPat,
Last season was miserable for Barton...not only could he not hit a lick, he couldnt pick at the bag for sh*t. After his great first half of his rookie season he has easily been the worst 1B in the bigs both offensively and defensively. He can only get better....or be gone. Hopefully Cust will learn to make better contact....how can a guy with such a good eye strike out so much? This team will hit and I think it will scare some teams if Chavez is healthy. Lots of players had down years with the bat last year, we should be able to expect improvement from Crosby, Ellis, Chavez (over Hannahan), Barton (or Giambi at first) and Buck. If the young pitching improves this will be a really fun if not competative season.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:34 pm
The A's signed SS Orlando Cabrera to a 1-year/$4 million contract.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:18 pm
xbay wrote:The A's signed SS Orlando Cabrera to a 1-year/$4 million contract.

Good move I hope. Im not sure what Beane has up his sleeve for Crosby, but if nothing else, maybe Crosby can be a RH bat late in games. I really like the look of the A's offensively, if the young pitching can gel, this team has a chance to shock the world and take down the Angels.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board