Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:23 pm
Randolph hopes to work his way out of doghouse

Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Sunday, January 4, 2009
Anthony Randolph can't stop the dunk of the Celtics' Leon...

(01-04) 04:00 PST Minneapolis - --

It isn't easy being Anthony Randolph these days.

The Warriors' rookie hasn't played in the last three games. His coach has called him out privately and publicly. And concerns about his maturity, present since the draft, have been stirred from within.

After Friday's loss in Minnesota, coach Don Nelson was asked if his 19-year-old forward was officially out of the rotation. Nelson responded with his harshest criticism yet, saying that Randolph needed to "grow up" and was being "put on ice" until his assistants and captains deemed him ready to play.

So on Saturday, with the Warriors barely fielding enough healthy bodies for 2-on-2 scrimmaging at the end, Randolph practiced on despite tweaking his knee, assistant coaches almost always in his ear.

"You just keep working," Randolph said afterward.

Randolph, considered a steal with the 14th pick, said assistants Keith Smart and Rico Hines have been guiding him on "little things to learn," which include becoming a better rebounder and post player, and believes he's improved in those areas.

He said that he was relying on family and prayers to get through his rough patches, and that it helped a little knowing that Brandan Wright and Marco Belinelli - who also saw extensive bench time as rookies last season - get more of a chance this season.

He just hopes to earn his own, despite the perception that a poor attitude toward not playing helped land him in Nelson's doghouse.

"Can't do anything about what somebody thinks, I can't control somebody's thoughts," Randolph said. "I just go out there and do what I'm doing. If I get my minutes, I play hard, like I do every game."

While it remains unclear what exactly prompted Nelson's latest comments, they only fueled questions about Randolph's future with the Warriors, especially given Nelson's infamous feud with Chris Webber.

The coach previously detailed bad practice habits as a reason for Randolph's benchings, but the rookie was also chastised by Stephen Jackson two weeks ago for going too hard.

Randolph was scrimmaging in a 3-on-3 halfcourt setting in Oakland when he went up hard and caught Rob Kurz in the face, splitting open his teammate's chin and sending Kurz to the training room bloodied.

Jackson, among the veterans watching from the other end of the court, made it clear that he believed Randolph's show of force was excessive, yapping at the rookie for a good minute.

On Friday, Jackson attributed Randolph's struggles to those of any rookie trying to make the transition to the NBA.

"This is his first year and he's just going through the normal growing pains, learning how to play, how to take criticism," Jackson said. "It was the same thing with me."

"Some 19 year olds, they have the ability to go out there and play right away and some don't," Corey Maggette added. "You just got to wait your turn. I tell guys the story all the time: When Michael Redd came into the league, he didn't play a lick. But I always saw him working hard. He got his opportunity ... and became one of the best players in the league."

Maggette pointed at Kurz, the undrafted rookie whom Nelson is starting while Wright is injured, as an example of where hard work can get a player.

"I don't think the world is against him. I just think that a lot of times, guys don't understand that it's an up-and-down season and they got to stay with it," Hines added. "Keep coming to work every day and get better for the long term. ... That's what I always talk to him about. Keep working, because we're not at LSU. We're in the NBA playing basketball."
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:40 pm
Are you archiving Colt? :wink: cuz we have this twice in Warriors basketball. :mrgreen:
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:57 pm
bigstrads wrote:Are you archiving Colt? :wink: cuz we have this twice in Warriors basketball. :mrgreen:
]
nah, I must have missed the article under warriors basketball, since it just came out yesterday. just trying to honor posting news articles under news articles, but no big thing. I guess the mods are letting that go now...
edit - just looked and didn't find this one, though I did find the other one you posted...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:59 pm
coltraning wrote:
bigstrads wrote:Are you archiving Colt? :wink: cuz we have this twice in Warriors basketball. :mrgreen:
]
nah, I must have missed the article under warriors basketball, since it just came out yesterday. just trying to honor posting news articles under news articles, but no big thing. I guess the mods are letting that go now...

well when certain mods ignore the proper posting section, why should the rest of the community pay attention to them? :wink:

anyway i commend you for using the right section
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:03 pm
coltraning wrote:
]
edit - just looked and didn't find this one, though I did find the other one you posted...

Sh*t, sorry man, this article IS different..........its confusing, cuz there are 3 different articles that start (for about half the article) the exact same way.

Also, yeah, this IS the right section...........but whats the difference between "news" and "news articles"..........why I think this forum has died and only has about 4-5 people post in it nowadays.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:09 pm
bigstrads wrote:
coltraning wrote:
]

Sh*t, sorry man, this article IS different..........its confusing, cuz there are 3 different articles that start (for about half the article) the exact same way.

Also, yeah, this IS the right section...........but whats the difference between "news" and "news articles"..........why I think this forum has died and only has about 4-5 people post in it nowadays.

they're better off going in the main forum really. Takes effort for people to post them, least more will read them
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:24 pm
Yeah, I agree...the news article section may have outlived its usefulness. Seems like warriors related articles could get posted in the warriors section and general nba in the nba forum, politics in the off-topic, and sex in the...hey, wait a second, where the hell is the sex forum????

ImageImage
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:28 am
coltraning wrote:Yeah, I agree...the news article section may have outlived its usefulness. Seems like warriors related articles could get posted in the warriors section and general nba in the nba forum, politics in the off-topic, and sex in the...hey, wait a second, where the hell is the sex forum????

Dont worry Colt, its here =

http://www.goldenstwarriors.com/viewtop ... 46&start=0
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:32 pm
bigstrads wrote:
coltraning wrote:Yeah, I agree...the news article section may have outlived its usefulness. Seems like warriors related articles could get posted in the warriors section and general nba in the nba forum, politics in the off-topic, and sex in the...hey, wait a second, where the hell is the sex forum????

Dont worry Colt, its here =

http://www.goldenstwarriors.com/viewtop ... 46&start=0

gee...I think I could have lived the rest of my life without seeing that :wink: God it is ****ing awful what Nelson/Cohan/Rowell is doing to this team right now...Glad the Suns and Hornets are interesting to watch. I have tix to see Lebron and to see the Suns, so that should be worthwhile...

ImageImage

Return to News Articles