Playoff Pickem 08-09

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:50 pm
Ok So no one has voted or said anything on the thing but myself, so maybe a new thread will get more attention. I really think my second proposal is the best way for a pick-em and u tally the points. Let me explain it with the help of yahoo.

Confidence Points are used to give a different weight to each game in a given week. You'll assign a point value (from 1 to 15 if there are 15 games, 1 to 4 if there are 4 games, etc.) to each game based on how strongly you feel about the accuracy of your selection. If your selection is correct, you'll receive points equal to the confidence-point value you associated with that game.

So, if you pick Pittsburgh to beat Dallas and assign the game a confidence point value of 15, you'd get 15 points for a correct pick, but no points if Dallas wins. You don't lose points for an incorrect selection.

Each week's points will be tallied, and the player finishing with the highest total at the end of the year will be the winner of the group.

With the playoffs, we will rank 1-4 (again 4 being most confident, 1 least) the winners (for the first 2 weeks). Rank in descending order from confidence to least confidence as the rank correlates to the points values. If you get them all right you will receive 10 points. Lets say you only get one game right, your number 3. confident. Therefore you will receive 3 points. If you get a game wrong, you don't lose points, so u can't go in the negative.

The first 2 weeks are going to be out of 10 points (wild card and divisional championship weeks) as mentioned above. The conference championships are worth 7 points (ranking 4 for most and 3 from the least confidence, as we have to take account the previous weeks numbers). The Superbowl is gonna receive 4 points for the correct pick, and 3 points for the one who is closest to the final score in total points, with over/under limits not a factor. I do this, so someone ahead after the superbowl doesn't pick the same team as the closest competitor, just to win by default. These scores submitted by everyone in the superbowl will also count as a tiebreaker if it comes down to this. SO i will get more into this when the time comes.

Questions or Suggestions lemme know. Still confused, learn by example by seeing my picks for the first round in the following post.

STANDINGS:

NAME (weekly totals)........................Total Pts.

TMC: (7)(4)(7)(4)......................................22 points
Bada:(6)(3)(7)(4)..................................... 20 points
Capt_Jack: (5)(5)(3)(7)............................20 points
GSW United: (10)(4)(4)(0).......................18 points
xbay: (5)(5)(7)(0).....................................17 points
Mr. Crackerz: (7)(2)(7)(0)....................... 16 points
Mr. KC (0)(4)(7)(4)....................................15 points
"Always" Next: (4)(6)(3)(0).....................13 points
RobDikum: (3)(6)(0)(0)............................. 9 points
Last edited by Mr. Crackerz on Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 15 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:53 pm
Mr. Crackerz Picks for the Wild Card Weekend

4. Baltimore over Miami

3. Indy over San Diego

2. Philly over Minnesota

1. Arizona over Atlanta

Again the rankings equal the point ranks. So the Baltimore game in my case is worth 4 points, while the Arizona game is worth 1.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:54 pm
Even though I'm not involved in your game 'cause it sounds like too much work I wanted to share my picks!

Atlanta, Indy, Baltimore, and Philly

And I'm out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:57 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:Even though I'm not involved in your game I wanted to share my picks!

u should capt... i need supports. Plus, u would be a perfect participant, cuz the guys in hear get obsess on whatever u have to say (no offense fellas :mrgreen: ).
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:57 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:Even though I'm not involved in your game I wanted to share my picks!

u should capt... i need supports. Plus, u would be a perfect participant, cuz the guys in hear get obsess on whatever u have to say (no offense fellas :mrgreen: ).

But it sounded complicated...I didn't want to read it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:02 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

its not that long... have u seen how much 32 rights... now thats a novel. I dunno why i wrote that much, i repeated the same stuff over and over in case someone was confused.

just rank the teams 4 through 1 in descending order on how confident you are, that team is gonna win. Those ranks serve as points... see my example. It will be a running total of points by the end of the playoffs. here ur picks : Atlanta, Indy, Baltimore, and Philly. Now rank them from how confident they'll beat their opponent, to least confident. And wala, ur done.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:05 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

its not that long... have u seen how much 32 rights... now thats a novel. I dunno why i wrote that much, i repeated the same stuff over and over in case someone was confused.

just rank the teams 4 through 1 in descending order on how confident you are, that team is gonna win. Those ranks serve as points... see my example. It will be a running total of points by the end of the playoffs. here ur picks : Atlanta, Indy, Baltimore, and Philly. Now rank them from how confident they'll beat their opponent, to least confident. And wala, ur done.

Oh ok, I get it. I don't read anyone's posts if they're over like a paragraph...notice how I rarely get involved in long debates, it's 'cause I get tired of reading/responding. Plus the longer the debates go on, the longer the posts get.

Ok anyway

Atlanta - 1
Indy - 4
Baltimore - 3
Philly - 2

Wait, not sure if I get it. Am I supposed to rank each one 1, 2, 3, and 4. Or can I rank them all 4 if I think they're all going to win?
Last edited by Captain_Jack on Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:08 pm
4. Philly over Minnesota - I really think it's Philly's year in pro sports... except hockey, basketball and whatever else pro sports team they have(Phillies are the exception).

3. Indy over San Diego - Rivers is on fire, but lets not forget that Indy does not give up many passing TD's. The Colts have only given up 6 total TD passes all season.

2. Atlanta over Arizona - If you can't run the ball, I can't pick you. And I think Matt Ryan and/or Michael Turner will explode.

1. Baltimore over Miami - Having a rookie QB is scary, but when you have a defense like that, I'll take the Ravens.
Last edited by xbay on Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:08 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

Oh ok, I get it. I don't read anyone's posts if they're over like a paragraph...notice how I rarely get involved in long debates, it's 'cause I get tired of reading/responding. Plus the longer the debates go on, the longer the posts get.

Ok anyway

Atlanta - 2
Indy - 4
Baltimore - 3
Philly - 3

oh i shoulda clarified, which is my bad.... your only allowed to rank a point value once... so u cant have multiple 3 ranks as u have. either change one as a 1 rank or redo.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:09 pm
xbay wrote:4. Indy over San Diego

3. Minnesota over Philly

2. Baltimore over Miami

1. Atlanta over Arizona

Like that?

yep, looks good!
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:09 pm
Fixed it already
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:18 am
San Diego over Indy.- I've got a good vibe regarding this Chargers team. They're peaking at the right time, the defense looks much better under Rivera and Rivers is playing at MVP level. Indy... well, Manning keeps them competitive and they've just had a great streak, so it's gonna be a good game, but I've got a hunch about San Diego beating them. (2 points)

Philly over Minny.- Same as above, I just don't like Minny. Poor coaching, lots of questions at QB, an overrated D... Philly ain't much better, but, once again, I think they're peaking at the right time. Still, Minny has AP, and Philly has to focus on stopping him to have a chance to beat the Vikings. I think they'll find a way to limit his impact on the game. (1 point)

Baltimore over Miami.- Miami has had a cinderella kind of season, but it's over now that they're facing a tought running game and a great D in Baltimore. (4 points)

Atlanta over Arizona.- Anybody can win this shootout, because Atlanta will run all over the Cards and the Cards will wreak havoc on the Falcons secondary. I'm just going with the surest thing in Atlanta's running game. (3 points)
Last edited by TMC on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:26 am
What a BIZZARE opening weekend. When have you EVER see all 4 road teams favored. And to take it a step further, two of the favorites feature a rookie QB. Rookie QB's on the road in their 1st playoff game usually spells DEATH!

Baltimore at Miami (4 confidence points)- Baltimore thrives on creating turnovers however Miami turns it over less than any team in the league. I think this will be a close game but I think Baltimore wins in a low scoring affair.

Philadelphia at Minnesota (2 confidence Points) - I really dont trust Phily much. They have laid some eggs but then also had some incredible wins. They dont seem to play well when not motivated but everyone is motivated in the playoffs. You CAN beat Phily's d with the run and Minny CAN run it. Peterson will need to run for close to 200 yards for Minny to have a chance. However I see Phily getting up early, taking AP out of the game.

Indy at San Diego (3 confidence points)- I trust Manning way more than I trust the Chargers. Chargers have played well lately but lets not fool ourselves... their wins were against the Chiefs, Raiders, a crumbling TB D, and Denver.

Atlanta at Arizona (1 confidence point) - If you can not run the ball, I cant take you against a team that can.
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:33 am
Can I get in on your Playoff Picks?

if so....here they are

4pts.....Atlanta over Arizona
3pts.....Philly over Minny
2pts.....Miami over Baltimore
1pt....Bolts over the Colts

This year is a great year for playoff football....lots of new teams in the mix. Hoping to see the Giants and Colts get knocked out early and a team that has not been to the show for a long time taking the trophy.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:58 pm
4. Indy
3.Baltimore
2.Atlanta
1.Minnesota
Next

Return to Sports Board