NFL Pick'em - 08-09 Season

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:42 pm
Bad week for picking winners. Anyways, standings updated.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:49 pm
Rams @ Falcons - Easy pick.

Patriots @ Bills - Patriots need this to make playoffs.

Chiefs @ Bengals - Should be both Herm Edwards' and Marvin Lewis' farewell games where both franchises won't want either back.

Bears @ Texans - Texans seem to play better at home.

Giants @ Vikings - Vikings need this one more, Giants just need momentum.

Panthers @ Saints - Only two losses total by all four NFC South teams at home against the rest of the division.

Browns @ Steelers - Consider this Romeo Crennel's farewell game as well.

Raiders @ Bucs - Bucs must win to make playoffs, although they'll need the 'Boys to lose even so.

Titans @ Colts - Neither team cares since they both clinched, but the Colts would like momentum entering their wild card game next week.

Lions @ Packers - I don't want to see the Lions as the first 0-16 team, but it's hard to imagine they won't on the road, in the cold, against the Packers.

Jaguars @ Ravens - Ravens clinch with this win.

Seahawks @ Cardinals - Cardinals have been slumping lately. They need to get their groove back.

Redskins @ 49ers - Last home game, throwback jerseys, mustaches, and Singletary getting the extension he has deserved... this 49ers fan will end the regular season NFL Pick 'Em picking my Niners as the winner.

Dolphins @ Jets - A lot is on the line here, but I think Pennington leads the Fins to a division title against the team that dumped him just for Farve.

Cowboys @ Eagles - I think the Eagles spoil the Cowboys hopes at playoffs.

Broncos @ Chargers - The Broncos had a chance last week to clinch, but they failed. They look to close it out this week.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:14 am
Rams @ Falcons - Amazing season the Falcons just had, and well deserved trip to the playoffs. This one is gonna be a rout for all the Falcons fans to rejoice.

Patriots @ Bills - The Pats can make noise in the playoffs, but they need this win to make them, first.

Chiefs @ Bengals - I won't pick this Chiefs team on the road, no matter who they're playing. They're just terrible.

Bears @ Texans - Chicago needs this win badly.

Giants @ Vikings - I don't know what to think of this game. On one side, is a must win for Minny. On the other, I don't think the Giants are gonna just cruise waiting for the playoffs. I guess I'll pick the one that needs it most, tho.

Panthers @ Saints - Hate to pick Carolina, but I don't think the Saints D is gonna be able to do anything to stop the Panthers running game.

Browns @ Steelers - Bye, bye, Romeo...

Raiders @ Bucs - Monte Kiffin's last game at the Ray Jay won't be a loss against the Raiders.

Titans @ Colts - Don't know. Don't care much, either.

Lions @ Packers - If I were the Lions, I wouldn't even make the trip to Green Bay. That would be a nice gesture towards their fans (the few left), proving that the team doesn't want them to suffer even more than they've done so far.

Jaguars @ Ravens - I expect LOTS of changes on the Jags for next year. As for the game itself, the Ravens are gonna destroy them.

Seahawks @ Cardinals - The Cards will be the worst team in the playoffs. Other than Boldin, Fitz and Breaston, they have nothing.

Redskins @ 49ers - Next season will be the real test for Singletary. He's done an ok job with what he had this year, but now that he's gonna be in charge, the Niners will have to perform much better.

Dolphins @ Jets - Game of the week. I'm rooting for Pennington to win this game and end the Jets season.

Cowboys @ Eagles - The Eagles are my second team this week. FLY, EAGLES, FLY!!!!!

Broncos @ Chargers - Rivers has been playing like a MVP during the last month. And against the Broncos D, I can't see why he won't have another big game.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:16 am
Rams @ Falcons - Dont think anyone could be foolish enough to pick the Rams.

Patriots @ Bills - What an implosion by the bills.

Chiefs @ Bengals - I will go with the better offense.

Bears @ Texans - Texans end Bears playoff hopes.

Giants @ Vikings- Tavaris wilts under the pressure but Vikes back into the playoffs..

Panthers @ Saints - Too much running game.

Browns @ Steelers - Steelers win.

Raiders @ Bucs - Bucs do their part against a GREAT team in the Raiders :wink:

Titans @ Colts - Going with Home team.

Lions @ Packers - Got burned last week talking the Lions. Wont make that mistake again.

Jaguars @ Ravens - Jags are nasty.

Seahawks @ Cardinals - Huge game for the Cards. They must win to get some momentum.

Redskins @ 49ers - 9ers.

Dolphins @ Jets - Jets win this game in the trenches

Cowboys @ Eagles - Both teams are tough to get a handle on

Broncos @ Chargers - Rivera has this defense playing much better and the nasty Chargers make the playoffs..
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:05 pm
2008 Final week Picks....

Atlanta....who can stop Turner

New England...Matt Cassel will prove he is worth 10 mil/year

K.C ....Bengals choose to get a high draft pick

Green Bay....NFL 'The most Suckest team' are BORN

Houston.... Texans will win coz Bears are not Raiders

Indy.... Titans will save best players for Playoff.

Minnesota....Same as Titans Giant will save best players for playoff

N.O....saints will win against 2nd teams of Panthers

Pittsburgh...Cleveland want better pick

RAIDERS....Sweet Revenge by RAIDERS

Baltimore...Nice ending for Ravens before enter the playoff

Jets...Miami are not bayArea city so Jets will win this one.

Dallas.....J.Jones said' Win This game; Party tomorrow'

Arizona....They need to win this game to bring some confidence for playoff

Washington/49ers...If Gore play 49ers win but if not Redskins win.

Charger...Game of the week...sorry Sugarman;u need to check up again.

:cry: :cry: It's the last game for Raiders & Niners....

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:47 pm
here my picks, its simple this week... I'm picking the team I like better. SO i might go 0-16 this week....

Rams @ Falcons- Im glad the horrendous chapters these last few years seem over for the falcons... there owner seems like a cool guy, even though i'd be annoyed by his appearances on those press conferences too.

Patriots @ Bills - I hate the patriots.

Chiefs @ Bengals - Thigpen led me to a fantasy championship in my 12 person league... way to go me.

Bears @ Texans - Slaton, Andre Johnson.... if only they had a line....

Giants @ Vikings- Giants, by default... u get brownie points if ur last name is Manning.

Panthers @ Saints - Panthers put me to sleep

Browns @ Steelers - I don't like either, therefore i root for the underdog.

Raiders @ Bucs - Silver and Black!

Titans @ Colts - Peyton's my fave QB.... work ethic is amazing. go colts.

Lions @ Packers - I want the Lions to win, just so the Packers can be embarrassed for giving away farve once more this year.

Jaguars @ Ravens - Ravens are sick.

Seahawks @ Cardinals - Holgram wins his team finale.

Redskins @ 49ers - i always root for the bay.

Dolphins @ Jets - Don't care for either team, but i root for Cinderella in these cases.

Cowboys @ Eagles - Romo's the man... the pimp daddy.

Broncos @ Chargers - I lived in S.D. for a couple years... plus I don't like the broncos.... but then again, i also don't like the chargers and i think Rivers is a jerk... toss up.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:43 pm
Standings updated. Bada will win the NFL Regular Season Pick 'Em regardless of the outcome to the Broncos/Chargers game. Congrats Bada, finishing 169-85. FINAL STANDINGS(pending SNF)...

Before Week 1 Competitors:

1. bada: 169-85
2. xbay: 165-89
3. TMC: 158-96
4. Mr. Crackerz: 149-105
5. Pawno: 137-117

After Week 1 Competitors:

1.GSW_United: 143-94
2. RobDIKUM: 117-121

Thanks to all who contributed this year to this year's NFL Pick 'Em competition. We still have playoffs, so it's not quite over, yet. But question, do you guys think we should just add on to our current record for the playoffs? Or should we create a separate set of standings? Or perhaps create a spread sheet to predict how the playoffs will go once the teams are set(only DEN/SD left)?
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:45 pm
Well, never seen a pickem pool go into the playoffs so I say separate... also gives everyone a new chance now.. otherwise everyone is pretty much out of it already.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:47 pm
bada wrote:Well, never seen a pickem pool go into the playoffs so I say separate... also gives everyone a new chance now.. otherwise everyone is pretty much out of it already.

Yeah, I was leaning towards that more. We'll have a winner for the regular season, and a winner for playoffs. Shall we continue to pick teams with our current style? Or should we change it up and predict the whole outcome?

I think our current style would be better. But I'm open for change.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:48 pm
xbay wrote:
bada wrote:Well, never seen a pickem pool go into the playoffs so I say separate... also gives everyone a new chance now.. otherwise everyone is pretty much out of it already.

Yeah, I was leaning towards that more. We'll have a winner for the regular season, and a winner for playoffs. Shall we continue to pick teams with our current style? Or should we change it up and predict the whole outcome?

I think our current style would be better. But I'm open for change.

i got a system... lemme find my thread where i explain it

EDIT:

hey guys... i got a couple proposals on how we can do the pick-em's for the playoffs (assuming, we're keeping these separate with the regular season ones). Here they are:

1. We can do a tourny style pick, like in the NCAA... so once the matchups are set after week 17, we do all our picks, and each round win correct correlate into a certain amount of points (so like wild card wins are worth 1, division 2, championship 4, and superbowl 8 points).

2. We do what i usually do for pick-ems, by vote of confidence. SO each week in the playoffs, you pick rank each game from most confident to least confident you are that that team will will. SO for example, there 4 games in the wild card, so you will the games from 1-4 (1 being most confident, 4 least). And depending how many you got right, you get points. based on getting your confident picks right. SO for example: i get my 1. confident right and my #3 right. I would get 6 points (as #1 confident=4 points, #2=3pts, #3=2 points, #4=1 point).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
proposal 1 is fun with a large group, and its a one time pick for the entire playoffs. Like if their 10 or more guys, someone can be reletively close.

proposal 2 is fun too, with any size, and you pick each week. The good thing with this one, is if you screw up opening week, you are still in it.

I HOPE I DIDN'T CONFUSE YOU GUYS, BUT IM TRYING TO LIVE UP THE PICK-EMS FOR THE PLAYOFFS? ANYONE DOWN, I KNOW ITS EARLY, BUT IM ALREADY EXCITED FOR THE PLAYOFFS.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:53 pm
I'm thinkin proposal 2 is better
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:58 pm
I think choice one would hurt your chances after the first attempt. Choice two is better.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:12 pm
So shall we do a pick-em with the second proposal??? we should have like a vote with the regular participants (the 7) ... and anyone else who missed the start of this season, that wants to at least be involved with this set is welcome.

Here's the Proposals:

1. Same way we did it in the regular season. DONE EACH WEEK

2. Vote of Confidence style pick-em as proposed earlier. DONE EACH WEEK

3. One big bracket which winner is determine through point system based on how accurate your picks were. DONE ONCE BEFORE PLAYOFFS.

I, Mr. Crackerz, am voting for proposal 2.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:37 pm
This shall fall. So 'til next season, gentlemen...
Previous

Return to Sports Board