Dunleavy glad to be free of Warriors

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:25 am
Mike Dunleavy put up career numbers last season and said Wednesday it wouldn't have happened if he still were a Warrior.

"That wasn't possible out there," said Dunleavy, referring to Oakland. "It's no coincidence so many guys who come from Golden State go elsewhere and succeed. The proof is in the pudding. I take responsibility for certain things. You look at guys who went elsewhere after leaving Golden State, they found a way. Whatever that means or says, you could read it through."

Dunleavy hasn't played this season because of a sore right knee but said he still hopes to play a significant number of games "and pick up where I left off."

He's coming off his first full season in Indiana, and the Pacers' style apparently suits him. His 19.1 points per game in 2007-08 nearly doubled his career average for his first five seasons. He also had career highs in assists and steals and shooting percentages from the floor, three-point arc and free-throw line.

Asked what he was doing differently in his breakout season compared with his Warriors years, Dunleavy said, "Dribbling, shooting, passing, not standing in the corner - but being able to make plays and do things I'm good at, the reasons they drafted me."

Evidently, the Jan. 17, 2007, trade to the Pacers was a good career move.

"That would be an understatement," said Dunleavy, the third overall draft pick in 2002. "It's too bad (a higher level of success) didn't happen a little sooner. But I enjoyed living in the Bay Area, and I'm happy to be with the Pacers now and hoping to help this team get back to where it once was."

Troy Murphy (11.4 points, 11.1 rebounds), who accompanied Dunleavy in the trade, had a stomach virus and didn't suit up.

Ellis transaction: Before Friday's game in Atlanta, Monta Ellis must be removed from the suspended list and placed on the inactive list - his suspension was for 30 games, four in the preseason and 26 in the regular season. To create space, the team must trim one player.

JOHN SHEA

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 14PRIG.DTL
Wish List

*New Owner and Management =D>
*Trade Monta
*Trade Maggette =D>
*Tank the season, get the top pick and draft Harrison Barnes
to be continued...

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:58 pm
More Dunleavy Stuff and a walk down memory lane thanks to RealGM

Mike Dunleavy had a career season in 2007-08, his first full season removed from being a member of the Golden State Warriors.

"That wasn't possible out there," Dunleavy told the San Francisco Chronicle this week with the Warriors in town when asked about his success with the Pacers. "It's no coincidence so many guys who come from Golden State go elsewhere and succeed. The proof is in the pudding. I take responsibility for certain things. You look at guys who went elsewhere after leaving Golden State, they found a way. Whatever that means or says, you could read it through."

What does that pudding look like and more importantly, who is in it?

Historically that has always seemed to be the case for the Warriors, but is it true for the players that played with Dunleavy?

- Gilbert Arenas signed with Washington after the 2002-03 season in which he was named the NBA's Most Improved Player. During that first season with the Wizards, his offensive rating dropped from 108 to 98, while his shooting percentage and assist rate dropped.

But over the next three seasons he became an All-Star and one of the NBA's best perimeter scorers.

- Troy Murphy put up better numbers with the Warriors than the Pacers after the trade in 2007, but the 07-8 season was a career year in which his true shooting percentage reached a career high of 57.3% while he wasn't counted on to carry such a huge load on the glass.

- Antawn Jamison hasn't been asked to be a team's primary scorer since leaving the Warriors and he became an All-Star because of that. He became a more efficient scorer and was able to play his unique style at the power forward position mostly unfettered.

- Speedy Claxton played 106 games with the Warriors and was at his best during that time. He kind of had a mirage of a great season with the Hornets in 05-06 as Chris Paul's backup, which led to a big contract from Atlanta.

- Jason Richardson had his best scoring season in 07-08 with Charlotte, but his overall numbers were slightly better during the 04-05 and 05-06 years with the Warriors.

- Erick Dampier had the finest season of his career in 2003-04, which was when the Warriors attempted to hand over the franchise to Dunleavy. Dampier averaged a career best 13.7 points and 13.3 rebounds per 36 minutes that season. Dampier was initially a disappointment in Dallas during his first two seasons, but has been increasingly effective since 06-07.

- It is still too early to judge, but I can't see how the nascent of Baron Davis' career being anything other than the 06-07 and 07-08 seasons with the Warriors.

- Judging Mickael Pietrus in Orlando versus Golden State is also too premature, but he was desperate to get out of there a whole season ago when he was forced to remain as a RFA.

- Ike Diogu, Sarunas Jasikevicius and Patrick O'Bryant won't be members of any GSW fan club either, but two of them are barely in the NBA and the other went back to Europe. Marco Belinelli and Marcus Williams are on their way to joining that group.

Who is responsible for the apparent bitterness from Dunleavy?

He and Chris Mullin always seemed to get along swimmingly, Mike Montgomery is too insignificant to mention and it has only become a recent phenomonen of Robert Rowell being anything more than a business guy.

Which clearly leave Don Nelson, who irks many young players and is beloved in rare, special instances.

He also has a history of players parting ways with him to go on to bigger success, with Chris Webber, John Starks, Steve Nash and probably most prominent on his mind Al Harrington, being the biggest examples, but any coach who has over 2000 games on the books is going to have these kinds of instances on his resume.

Dunleavy hasn't played at all this season because of injury and good for him that he finally delivered on some of that promise which made him the third overall pick in the 2002 NBA Draft.

It's not his fault that he wasn't Larry Bird, Grant Hill or even Chris Mullin while with the Warriors. Amare Stoudemire, Yao Ming, Caron Butler and Carlos Boozer are the only All-Stars to come out of the draft and if you were to redraft, those four plus Tayshaun Prince are the only players you would take over Dunleavy (though maybe Nene as well considering how well he's played this year finally).

But it's also not the Warriors' fault that Stephen Jackson was a better fit for Nelson's system and that kind of blanket statement against Don Nelson and the Warriors isn't fair and isn't wholly true.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:32 pm
Another article that says Nelson should kick rocks all the way to Hawaii.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:40 pm
I'm not a fan of Dunleavy, never have been, but truth is that he just didn't fit in with Nelson's style, BUT he also didn't with Monty, so the only explanation is that he either didn't try hard enough, just didn't like it in Oakland, maybe had a problem with one or more of the other players here at the time or the system in Indiana just suits him near perfectly.

A fair bit of it was Dunleavy's fault, but it is very interesting that quite a few players have left here and done well on other teams. It is attributed to management and ownership for establishing an attitude that is not that positive and it has been that way for years. All the losing seasons established an atmosphere and tradition of negativity, of losing, as did the bitterness between people in the organisation throughout the years

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:38 pm
I can't wait to boo his ass when he comes to the bay.
Thunder wrote:Harrington out 2 weeks with bad attitude.

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:56 pm
metalface wrote:Another article that says Nelson should kick rocks all the way to Hawaii.

hey metalface, i always wanted to ask you, so is that u taking the picture with Oden on your sig... or did u find some random pick and posted it like a creeper (pssss ill go with the first choice, even if its not true :mrgreen: )
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:55 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
metalface wrote:Another article that says Nelson should kick rocks all the way to Hawaii.

hey metalface, i always wanted to ask you, so is that u taking the picture with Oden on your sig... or did u find some random pick and posted it like a creeper (pssss ill go with the first choice, even if its not true :mrgreen: )

I wish that was me. I would definitely love a pic with Mr.Oden. But no I just found it online and wanted to represent for my favorite NBA player personality wise.
Unfortunately the only NBA player I've ever encountered in real life was Leon Powe But I hesitated to long to ask him for a pic or anything so I have no proof of such meeting... :( :( :(

Return to News Articles