Marcus Williams’ days as Warrior appear to be numbered

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:22 am
We may get another glimpse into the inner workings of the Warriors’ front office later this week.

That’s when Monta Ellis’ 30-game suspension expires (four preseason and 26 regular-season games), and the Warriors very well may have a roster decision to make.

Only, of course, if they don’t make a move before then.

Ellis will come off the suspended list for Friday’s game against Atlanta, and even though he’ll head straight to the inactive list, the Warriors will have to waive someone to make room.

And by the sounds of things, Don Nelson’s guy, Rob Kurz, has the inside track over Chris Mullin’s guy, Marcus Williams.

“He hasn’t come out of nowhere,” Nelson said about Kurz. “He’s actually been my best rookie from training camp on, and I think I’ve mentioned more NBA ready than any of my other young guys.

“He hasn’t played very much, but we’re going to start playing him now. And he has deserved to play.”

Williams, on the other hand, hasn’t been a factor at any point this season and it sure doesn’t look like he’s ever going to be …not for the Warriors, anyway.

And not under Nelson.

“I still haven’t figured it out,” Williams said of his situation. “I think now it’s become so repetitious, I don’t pay attention to it anymore. Practice comes, I practice hard. If I dress, I dress; if I don’t, I don’t. It’s like the same results.”

Williams said he was unaware that the Warriors might even be looking at a roster move, and didn’t want to address the notion of getting waived “until I talk to my agent.”

It seems clear nothing is going to change, and on Monday Nelson went so far as to say the Warriors probably have too many point guards on the roster, as is.

He even quibbled when a reporter asked him why Williams has had difficulty getting on the floor this year. Williams has played in just six games this season - 40 total minutes.

“I think he’s played the last two games, so it’s not that he hasn’t been on the floor,” Nelson said. “C.J. (Watson) is just playing so well, so the third point guard has to wait for an injury.

“You would hope he could come in and fill the role. But two point guards are normally enough for any team.”

It was unclear if Nelson was talking about Watson and Jamal Crawford, or whether Nelson was even factoring in DeMarcus Nelson, who was at shoot-around Monday.

Nelson already has indicated DeMarcus Nelson will be called up for Wednesday’s game against Indiana in what would seem to be another writing-on-the-wall move for Williams.

If the Warriors were to keep Kurz and waive Williams, it would come at a price.

The Warriors would likely have to eat the approximately $800,000 Williams is owed for the remainder of this season, and then pay Kurz the pro-rated minimum for the rest of the season.

Then there is the non-financial matter of Mullin, the Warriors’ executive vice president of basketball operations, having given up a conditional draft pick for Williams less than six months ago.

By Matt Steinmetz

http://bayarea.comcastsportsnet.com/spo ... -numbered/
Wish List

*New Owner and Management =D>
*Trade Monta
*Trade Maggette =D>
*Tank the season, get the top pick and draft Harrison Barnes
to be continued...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:14 am
Good. Now, if we can also find a taker for Maggs contract...
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:31 pm
boo am I the only one that kind of likes this guy? remember how we all were screaming to trade belinelli before he got some descent minutes. why should we do the same for williams? I thought he made some great passes during his last game. lets go through the guards on the warriors roster:

-Watson has a great mid-range shot but doesn't set anyone up, and doens't make great decisions for a PG. a better scorer than a passer, I will say that much.

-Monta, who, to his credit, did run the offense pretty well last year (when asked to) can play the point. whether he can take over as the lead PG full time remains to be seen.

-Crawford has made some great passes since coming here, but it's clear he doesn't gel with the rest of the team yet. shot selection has been questionable thus far. obviously a better two than a one, but capable of sharing the PG load. probably has the best ball handling skills on our roster right now.

-Jax is a great scorer (i don't think he gets enough credit for that). he is not a play maker though. no to the PG role

-Maggs - currently injured, and with everyone calling for his head, it is unclear how much time is left for him in Oak-town. I agree he is, right now, the worst "team player" and that he has two dimensions on offense: spot up mid-range or drive and get fouled. I do like him because he is the most efficient scorer on our team and it'd be a shame to give that up (particularly since his contract is brand new, and other teams would hold that against us, giving us something equally crappy in return). If he gets his three pointers back in order I could see him playing the two or the three but never the one.

Morrow - love the way he crashes the glass on both ends and always gets back on D for a shooter. If he can improve his D he could play the 3 instead of mainly just the 2.

Belinelli - PG material? I don't think so. guys too trigger happy. but good ball handler and he has been making some good passes thus far. he's a 2 maybe a 4th string back up one. time will tell if I'm right.

Azu - great slasher 2nd only to Monta for best finisher on the squad. 2 or a 3 but not a great passer so no PG role.

DeMarcus - I think he should be cut. I know he's the hometown hero, however we already have enough slashing SGs trying to turn into PGs.

and then there is Marcus - call me crazy but he is one of only warrior guards that can bring the ball up and be looking for assist at the same time. he may play horrible defense and be a terrible scorer (?) but I think he'd really be able to help a quick offense like Nelson's out. I really don't want him to be traded or cut.

cut DeMarcus and send Marcus to the D-Leagues
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:33 pm
TMC wrote:Good. Now, if we can also find a taker for Maggs contract...

Indeed, I would HATE to see Williams just cut though.............as Im sure teams would still be interested in seeing what they can get out of this kid, and throwing him with a Mags deal may push it over the edge.

If hes cut, its just a total waste of money and the pick we gave up, we basically would be paying $800,000 to give our pick away!!!................so yeah, they will probably do that then, cuz its the dumbest and most baffling thing to do. :roll:
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:41 pm
I kinda like him too. Am i the only one who thinks he's looked alright when he's actually played? Ok his shooting has sucked but his passing's been good-something this team painfully lacks

And god I'll be pissed if we just cut him. Another wasted first round pick (see: POB)
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:27 pm

And SJackson and Crawford

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:43 am
This is just another example of Nellie blindly preferring shooters over someone who can really help the team. Williams has PROVEN that he can be a QUALITY, not decent, distributor for any ballclub. However, he can't shoot worth a lick. I'd damn take Williams who doesn't shoot that much over Jackson and Maggette who are awful shooters but keep on shooting. Williams helps us in things we LACK, like the ability to move the ball around and find the open guy. Instead, play after play, we have Jackson try to awkwardly take his guy one-on-one while the opposing team stacks up an insurmountable lead.

It's time to fire Nelson.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:45 am
migya wrote:

I don't think Jackson should go. Who are we gonna blame for the losses, then? :mrgreen:

Nah, getting rid of all those contracts would be ideal, but I don't think it's possible to trade the three of them so soon. If we have to keep one, I'd keep Jackson... albeit he'd have to adapt to a 3th/4th option role.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:35 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:

I don't think Jackson should go. Who are we gonna blame for the losses, then? :mrgreen:

Nah, getting rid of all those contracts would be ideal, but I don't think it's possible to trade the three of them so soon. If we have to keep one, I'd keep Jackson... albeit he'd have to adapt to a 3th/4th option role.

Who would be the 1nd, 2st and "3th" options ahead of him though? :wink: :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:39 am
bigstrads wrote:
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:

Who would be the 1nd, 2st and "3th" options ahead of him though? :wink: :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:

Yea, SJackson, if he could adapt again to being third fiddle, would be the keeper out of those three, but if he can be traded for someone more emotionally stable, it would be better. Sure he can get the team hyped up but that usually leads to things happening negatively and as much as I like passionate players, it has to be right and SJackson just complains way too much, always has

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:22 am
bigstrads wrote:Who would be the 1nd, 2st and "3th" options ahead of him though? :wink: :mrgreen:

Monta, Monta, and Monta. Do you want me to name a few more? :wink:
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:38 am
migya wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:

:mrgreen:

Yea, SJackson, if he could adapt again to being third fiddle, would be the keeper out of those three, but if he can be traded for someone more emotionally stable, it would be better. Sure he can get the team hyped up but that usually leads to things happening negatively and as much as I like passionate players, it has to be right and SJackson just complains way too much, always has

jackson is perfectly suited to be a teams #3/4 option. he's a hard nose player who's not easily intimidated. he plays solid defense and he can get hot on the offensive side of the ball. he'll get behind the best player on a team and lend support and he's great at getting a crowd into the game... he's the x-factor.

jackson has been playing like **** as of late but i say we keep jackson....

monta, jackson, andris, randolph are keepers...

everyone else is for sale...
Wish List

*Trade Monta
*Trade Maggette =D>
to be continued...
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:22 am
The Warriors will announce a transaction today, either a trade or a waiver. They have to make room on the roster for Monta Ellis, who has to come off the suspended player list before Friday's game in Atlanta.
A source close to Marcus Williams said the little-used point guard has not reached a buyout agreement, and a Warriors source said the team doesn't want just to waive Williams and get stuck paying his entire $1.26 million salary. So unless he's part of a trade in which the Warriors give up more players than they receive, Williams likely will stay.

The most likely candidate is rookie forward Richard Hendrix, the second-round pick currently in the NBA Development League with a non-guaranteed minimum contract. -- Contra Costa Times

http://www.contracostatimes.com/warrior ... ck_check=1
Wish List

*Trade Monta
*Trade Maggette =D>
to be continued...

Return to News Articles