Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:13 am
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... g_mullin/#
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:37 am
For some reason (and this is weird, considering his history), I believe him this time. I don't think he's interested in becoming GM. I think it's more a change of direction by Rowell than Nellie making a power play.

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:51 am
TMC wrote:For some reason (and this is weird, considering his history), I believe him this time. I don't think he's interested in becoming GM. I think it's more a change of direction by Rowell than Nellie making a power play.

he said " no matter what happens " he wouldn't take the job....thats it thats all
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:06 pm
Rest of Article.

The rumors were further inflamed when Nelson's assistant coach Larry Riley was elevated to assistant GM. This was viewed by some as a power move foisted by Nelson. The coach calls that preposterous.

"He was taken from me,'' Nelson said of Riley. "I miss him. I've got nobody to hang with now. I'm all alone on the road. It's been a nightmare for me. No, I had nothing to do with that. ''

That was a response to Tim KaWackami's article..

Kawakami: Nellie chose power, money over friendship, longevity
By Tim Kawakami

Mercury News

Posted: 12/01/2008 10:30:15 PM PST

Nelson had a choice to make last summer: Either stand with his friend Chris Mullin to keep the Warriors stable, or undermine Mullin and grab the power, to heck with stability and everything else.

Naturally, Nelson chose the power (and $12 million) and the heck-with-everything option.

So here comes the messiness"...

It was predictable. It was just Nellie Being Nellie — cunning and strategic and creative and not at all conducive to long, faithful friendships and evergreen tenures.

The inevitable result is this fractured but still fairly talented Warriors team, often playing like the sum of its warts.

Monday, the Warriors extended their losing streak to seven games by losing to the Miami Heat at Oracle Arena.

But there will surely be future Nelson disruptions and quixotic Nellie-Being-Nellie coaching behavior and possibly, if history repeats, a Nelson fade and strange departure. And lawsuits, of course.

Meanwhile, in a chase for immediate gratification, the Warriors have committed so much long-term money to Stephen Jackson, Corey Maggette, Andris Biedrins, Monta Ellis and Jamal Crawford that this franchise is already a non-factor in the epic free-agent class of 2010.

The coach is signed through 2010-2011, too. No getting out of that one.

It didn't have to be like this, of course. At first, when Mullin hired Nelson by persuading owner Chris Cohan to forget and forgive the Warriors' tortured

past with Nelson, they were the best coach-executive tandem the Warriors have had in decades.

Good things happened. Mullin has made his share of mistakes, of course, but with Nelson helping him out, this team had savvy and guts.

But Nelson turned the tables — now, for some reason, Mullin is suspect in the eyes of ownership — which means the Warriors are totally dependent on the 68-year-old coach. That is never a steady situation, as the Mavericks, Knicks and, yes, the Warriors discovered previously.

The latest shaky sign: Nelson recently declared that this team wasn't good enough to compete for a playoff spot, and Monday he continued to elaborate on that point.

"If you look at our team last year, we were really good," Nelson said before the game. "We didn't make the playoffs last year — we won 48 games.

"This team isn't nearly as good as that one. How would we expect to make the playoffs with this team when we didn't make it last year? And we had a lot of veteran players on the team. To me, it's just common sense. That's why I said it."

Nelson talked about rebuilding. About the long haul. But Jackson and Maggette are middle-aged players and who knows about Monta Ellis' comeback. So the Warriors probably will be rebuilding again in three years.

On one hand, it's hard to fully blame Nelson. This is definitely a flawed roster, at least until Ellis comes back fully healthy and Anthony Randolph and Brandan Wright step into significant roles.

Nelson didn't lose Baron Davis or cause Robert Rowell to turn on Mullin; Nelson merely facilitated it by stepping into the power void.

He didn't demand a new contract or seek Mullin's ouster.

But without the Warriors' weaknesses and Rowell's insecurities, Nelson would've never accumulated this kind of influence, and it comes off wrong when he starts to complain about the team's immediate prospects.

He's the one who has stubbornly stuck with Small Ball — and Maggette launching wild jumpers from the power-forward position — for long odd stretches this season.

He's the one who won't play Wright or Randolph for significant minutes, either because he doesn't trust them or because he's worried they might succeed and force him to play a more regular lineup.

He's the one who has installed his right-hand man, Larry Riley, as the presumptive general manager.

Without Nelson on hand, Rowell probably never would have dared to take on Mullin publicly, which was the move that has caused all the franchise reverberations.

Nelson went for instability. He heightened the drama. He showed no loyalty to Mullin. He took the $12 million, and, eventually, he'll probably run.

There was a little mini-example of that Saturday, when Nelson left the court with more than 10 seconds left, at the end of the Warriors' humiliation in New York.

"The game was over and we weren't going to foul, because we were down 12, I think, or 13, and we were going to let the clock run out," Nelson said. "And if it bothers you, I won't do it again."

Maybe. At least that's what he told us. But you never know what Nelson is going to do. He always ends up leaving when you think he should stay, and staying when you think he should leave.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:29 pm
tim k's full of bs, but hes not the "master" of bs...that title belongs solely to nellie

if theres any one figure in sports that holds no credibility in my eyes, its our fatass coach
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:54 pm
What's most interesting on here is how even Broe is not saying his usual team cheerleading rambles when a few guys say something negative about the team.

Such lines like:
Nelson has turned the team around with inspiring coaching :!:

That's what he will be saying if there is any sort of turn around this season
:wink:

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to News Articles