Sam Mitchell

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:40 pm
I just read on Fox Sports that the Raps have fired Sam Mitchell. The are 8-9 I believe. Lets get Nellie on that same boat!
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:05 pm
Never really liked Mitchell. I'll admit, I did express my opinion on how he should of won the NBA Coach of the Year couple years ago, which he did, but he wasn't really anything special. And with a very deep team, he's only managed to coach them to an 8-9 record. So I guess it had to be done.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:25 pm
when the younger colaneglo was brought on, i always thought they were gunnin to be a high scoring/fast paced/international style/phoenix-like squad. maybe now with mitchell gone they can fulfill that premise.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:45 pm
Sam Mitchell, Terry Porter, Bill Cartwight... coaches like these were boring NBA players. U knew these guys weren't gonna be this successful head coaches.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:54 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Sam Mitchell, Terry Porter, Bill Cartwight... coaches like these were boring NBA players. U knew these guys weren't gonna be this successful head coaches.

I don't agree with that. McMillan wasn't any better as a player, and he's one of the brightest coaches of the league. And I like Terry Porter.

But Mitchell sucks. He went to Toronto as a young coach with a hard stance on players, a no-nonsense kind of approach... but just lacks the X's and O's. He's just clueless at times.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:50 am
TMC wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Sam Mitchell, Terry Porter, Bill Cartwight... coaches like these were boring NBA players. U knew these guys weren't gonna be this successful head coaches.

But Mitchell sucks. He went to Toronto as a young coach with a hard stance on players, a no-nonsense kind of approach... but just lacks the X's and O's. He's just clueless at times.

Sorta sounds like Singletary, to be honest.

People were saying why he wasn't hired as the DC of the Niners. He lacked the X's and O's. And as head coach, he's tough and doesn't tolerate any nonsense. But he's pretty poor on clock management.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:52 am
xbay wrote:
TMC wrote:

People were saying why he wasn't hired as the DC of the Niners. He lacked the X's and O's. And as head coach, he's tough and doesn't tolerate any nonsense. But he's pretty poor on clock management.

Then they're distant cousins. I've seen the Raptors more than any other team (besides the Warriors, of course), and I can't remember the countless times I've seen Mitchell take a guy on fire out of the game because the rotation pattern was already set. It doesn't matter if he had scored the last 10 points of his team without missing a single shot...

Not to mention the amount of games they've lost in the final minutes because they didn't know what to do on defense (the offense was easy, go to Bosh and, if he can't do anything, move the ball out again to Parker).
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:45 pm
TMC wrote:
xbay wrote:
TMC wrote:

Then they're distant cousins. I've seen the Raptors more than any other team (besides the Warriors, of course), and I can't remember the countless times I've seen Mitchell take a guy on fire out of the game because the rotation pattern was already set. It doesn't matter if he had scored the last 10 points of his team without missing a single shot...

Not to mention the amount of games they've lost in the final minutes because they didn't know what to do on defense (the offense was easy, go to Bosh and, if he can't do anything, move the ball out again to Parker).

I think they need to spread the ball around more. They have Calderon at PG, he's a great passer... why not take advantage of that? They have a lot of weapons offensively, I don't understand why they're not being used evenly.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:59 am
xbay wrote:
TMC wrote:
xbay wrote:
TMC wrote:

I think they need to spread the ball around more. They have Calderon at PG, he's a great passer... why not take advantage of that? They have a lot of weapons offensively, I don't understand why they're not being used evenly.

I see that team as having the capability to be doing what Orlando are doing. They have not one but two great inside players, in Bosh (primary offensive weapon) and Jermaine) and great outside shooters, in Parker, Moon, Kapono and Bargnani. Calderon is a good outside shooter too and, to me, a top 5 "distributing" PG in the nba. He might not be a great scorer yet and may never be, but he passes very well and plays decent defense. That Toronto team should be top 4 in the East right now with the roster they've got, as they all fit well together

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:18 pm
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:
TMC wrote:
xbay wrote:
TMC wrote:

I see that team as having the capability to be doing what Orlando are doing. They have not one but two great inside players, in Bosh (primary offensive weapon) and Jermaine) and great outside shooters, in Parker, Moon, Kapono and Bargnani. Calderon is a good outside shooter too and, to me, a top 5 "distributing" PG in the nba. He might not be a great scorer yet and may never be, but he passes very well and plays decent defense. That Toronto team should be top 4 in the East right now with the roster they've got, as they all fit well together

I agree. They should be right there with Orlando for #3 in the East. Can you imagine what Lebron would do with that cast? Calderon is a monster talent, with a ludicrously good assist to turnover ratio (best in the league) and they have 2 superstars in Bosh and O'Neal. Mitchell was a lousy xs and os coach, who seemed too harsh on his players. You can't be Vince Lombardi or Bobby Knight in today's NBA, more subtle motivation is needed. Not sure that Triano is any kind of answer, though.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:36 pm
coltraning wrote:
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:
TMC wrote:
xbay wrote:
TMC wrote:

I agree. They should be right there with Orlando for #3 in the East. Can you imagine what Lebron would do with that cast? Calderon is a monster talent, with a ludicrously good assist to turnover ratio (best in the league) and they have 2 superstars in Bosh and O'Neal. Mitchell was a lousy xs and os coach, who seemed too harsh on his players. You can't be Vince Lombardi or Bobby Knight in today's NBA, more subtle motivation is needed. Not sure that Triano is any kind of answer, though.

Sounds like there is a real Italian influence there in Toronto. Could be the mafia coming in for a buy out :mrgreen:

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:02 am
migya wrote:Sounds like there is a real Italian influence there in Toronto. Could be the mafia coming in for a buy out :mrgreen:

And it can be even more... Seems like they're talking to Ettore Messina to become their new coach (that is, if CSKA Moscow allows him to leave, as he's under contract).

I think he'd be a GREAT signing. He's not only the best coach in europe, but also one that has been in contact with NBA coaches for years. He's a defensive minded coach, but I don't think he'd have much trouble adapting to the NBA game.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:51 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Sounds like there is a real Italian influence there in Toronto. Could be the mafia coming in for a buy out :mrgreen:

And it can be even more... Seems like they're talking to Ettore Messina to become their new coach (that is, if CSKA Moscow allows him to leave, as he's under contract).

I think he'd be a GREAT signing. He's not only the best coach in europe, but also one that has been in contact with NBA coaches for years. He's a defensive minded coach, but I don't think he'd have much trouble adapting to the NBA game.

Don't know him, but the obvious question, how's his English, since that is the language of the NBA?
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:17 am
coltraning wrote:Don't know him, but the obvious question, how's his English, since that is the language of the NBA?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEaSKjTP-7k[/youtube]

Sounds pretty good. They don't speak Italian in Russia, so he's used to speaking English.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:32 am
boleyn wrote:
coltraning wrote:Don't know him, but the obvious question, how's his English, since that is the language of the NBA?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEaSKjTP-7k[/youtube]

Sounds pretty good. They don't speak Italian in Russia, so he's used to speaking English.

He speaks better English than most Americans. :wink:
Next

Return to NBA Forum