diogu playing well.

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

What does chris Mullin do?

Get rid of someone and let Diogu play
29%
Wait and see
71%

Total votes : 17

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:32 pm
#32 wrote:But I dunno if he'll be as big a shot blocker as you think, migya. On paper, his arms reach 7'4". But he doesn't appear to try swatting taller players (and, in the NBA, more than half of his competition will be taller). While he's not quite Troy Murphy, in the sense that shot-blocking seems like a skill he lacks, he wont ever be the kind of forward who'll average 2 or 3 (like Elton Brand or Jermaine O'Neal)... at least, not in his first 3 years. My prediction would be 1, maybe 1.5, a game.

He was touted as being a great shot blocker and I think he will at least be decent. At first he might not, but in a month or so I reckon he will excite with his defense as well as his offense

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:21 pm
But I dunno if he'll be the shot-blocker he was in college. Sure, he'll average around 1 a game, but I dunno if you could put "blocking shots" down on his resume in the NBA. He seems more like a post threat who's a monster on the offensive glass. So far, he's only gotten two in one game. The other 4 or 5 games he's played, nothing. That's not too assuring.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:54 am
#32 wrote:He seems more like a post threat who's a monster on the offensive glass.

That was the report about him. I've never read anything saying he was great shot-blocker.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:47 am
I read about three reviews saying that he was a very good shot blocker and they kept going on about his 7ft 4in wingspan making up for his slight lack of height at PF. He needs to score some points but it is his rebounding and shot blocking that the Warriors need most of all. There are already enough scorers to win games but not enough capable defenders. If Diogu can play very good defense, the Warriors can stop relying on Foyle. As a matter of fact, the team needs someone to block shots because Foyle is not going to be around forever

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:09 pm
Well, I just have a feeling that if we're waiting for Diogu to start blocking shots, it wont be too stellar when it finally arrives. Like I said, probably 1 a game in the next year or so, but he's not gonna average 2 or more. Ike Diogu doesn't appear to be GOING for many blocks now (hence the 0.5 stat). If he gets more aggressive... one, maybe one and a half, per game.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:31 am
Wait awhile.
We going on all the way!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:18 am
That's right. It is still early and Diogu is just trying to get back into the swing of things, conditioning and playing basketball again

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:16 am
By no means and I saying he WONT start blocking shots... but if you guys are waiting for 2 bpg, you'll probably be waiting a while...
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:28 am
First off Mike D and Ike play different positions.
Secondly you have to givehim some time. He has only played in 3 games (limited minuits) He had a nice block against the Queens. As soon as he gets comfortable with the NBA pace you will see him blocking a few more a game. He is a little undersized for his position but then again so is Ben Wallace (defensive player of the year). Blocking shots is all about timing, and I think Ike will catch on to sooner than you might think in this league.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:11 pm
There's no doubt in my mind he can block shots... all I'm saying is that it'll be dependant on the opponent.

Example: he played against Kirilenko and got 2 swats. AK-47 is 6'9"... same size. Assuming Ike has the reach because he has unusually long, ape-arms, we'd say he has the advantage on Andrei. The result was a couple packs.

On the other side, Ike's played in 4 other games and gotten nothing. Against Bosh or Charlie on Toronto (in 20 minutes), nothing. Against Duncan, nothing. Against Chris Anderson or PJ Brown, nothing. And against Shareef, nothing.

My guess is that he can't block players who have a physical advantage on him. Bosh, Villinuela, Duncan, Anderson, and Brown all have at least 2 inches on Ike. The only players he had success with was against Utah. You say blocking is about timing, but these stats concern me. Makes me feel like he'll have great success on some nights (2 or 3 blocks) and none on others. The result will be a 1 or 1.5 bpg average at the end of the season. Why is that so hard to believe?
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:28 pm
I think those stats are fair for a player thats going to average about 15 minuits a game. Id be ok with them given he is a rook. Hopefully he will get more for some icing.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:40 pm
Yeah, it would be nice to see more.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:50 pm
I was talking about Diogu getting blocks when playing on average 30 - 35mins. You can't expect a guy to do what some very godd players don't do in 35mins, in just 15mins. When he becomes a starter and gets the minutes, he will be consistent at blocking shots. How can you not with athleticism and such long arms

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:53 am
I don't care about blocked shots. If he turns out to be a shot-blocking machine, all the better, but I just want him to rebound and score inside.

That's what the team needs from him, an inside presence to keep the opposing defense honest.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:33 pm
I doubt that anyone on the squad will play 35 a night, aside from JRich. We're too deep at most positions to not rest our players. Baron, Jason, Troy, Mike, and even Adonal now all have very capable subs. Over-playing our players isn't gonna be a problem.

Hopefully, that means we'll be incredibly fresh for the playoffs and let them play the entire game THEN when the other team is exhausted! Sounds like a plan.
PreviousNext

Return to Trades