Biggest Bonus

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Who's play has been the most above what we expected so far?

Derek Fisher
50%
Baron Davis
4%
Ike Diogu
15%
Jason Richardson
8%
Troy Murphy
8%
Other (Specify)
15%

Total votes : 26

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:35 pm
I'm taking Derek Fisher. All you Fish Haters can whine about it, but thus far, he's been our best 3-point threat, has played stellar alongside Baron Davis, is showing more of a creative passing ability, and is scoring over 11 points a game (yes, sharing minutes behind a healthy Baron Davis). His defense is always above average (he grabbed the steal during a 3-on-1 break away against Toronto... not just forced a jumper out of them, but stole it) and his veteran leadership is showing through our back court for the most part.

On the flip side, I'd like to take this opportunity to say that (for the most part) the Fish Haters were all Dunleavy Haters as well... and, say what you want about his contract but, Pietrus has probably been the most disappointing thing this season. I expected a near-break out season. Not only were his 3-point and free-throw percentages down, but his already horrid assists were also cut in half (not to mention his "defense", which so many of you praised, seemed to fall off... not just in pressure, but his spg average was down, too). And the response on the offensive end was barely a 1.0 ppg increase in 2 more minutes? Disappointing start so far.

:mrgreen: Being right is too sweet.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:27 pm
Im going with Baron purely because he's been mostly healthy. I didnt expect it before the season and I still expect him to go down any second. For the time being its been a nice surprise though.
Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:51 pm
Fisher has been a huge boost off bench and he is scoring for Pietrus also, over 50% 3's is just ridiculous......ridiculously awesome to have. Let's hope this kind of shooting is contagious...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:18 pm
#32 wrote:Pietrus has probably been the most disappointing thing this season. I expected a near-break out season.

You gotta be kidding on this one. All your points about Pietrus are valid, but most dissapointing than Dunleavy?. No way.

Well, now that I think about it, you may be right, as Dun has been awful before nad we didn't have any knind of hope for him at the beginning of the season, so, in fact, he hasn't disappointed at all...

About the biggest unexpected bonus, I'll pick the defense. I know it's nothing great yet, but is way better than expected. Fish been good, too. But he's doing what he did in LA, so it's not unexpected. So, the D is my pick.

PS: I know this is about players, so take it as compliment to them all. If it has to be one player, then T-Double.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:32 pm
I would put Calbert in the mix too. I was literally shocked the other day when he shot twice in a row, making both. I was even more shocked when he posted on the block, got the ball and actually made a serious move to the hoop. I was so blown away that I don't remember whether he made the shot or not. I haven't seen him try to move around like that at any time he as been with the Warriors. It would be sweet if he could keep that youthful mentality whenever he is on the floor.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:02 pm
I voted for other because Chris Taft has been the biggest surprise to me this season. I honestly didn't think that he would be able to contribute and play meaningful minutes for at least a year, maybe two, but he has come out of the gate like a champ.

It was hard to expect much out of him because he was injured for the preseason but I doubt anyone here thought he would make an impact like he has this early in the season.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:28 pm
TMC wrote:You gotta be kidding on this one. All your points about Pietrus are valid, but most dissapointing than Dunleavy?. No way.

Well, now that I think about it, you may be right, as Dun has been awful before nad we didn't have any knind of hope for him at the beginning of the season, so, in fact, he hasn't disappointed at all...

You answered your own question. I didn't buy into Mike Dunleavy being a better player for more than about 2 weeks. Mickael Pietrus, on the other hand, I expected to be better the entire off-season. In my eyes, he had a bigger fall. As bad as Dunleavy's been, you can always just shake your head and say "that's Mike... always up and down". Pietrus is different. He improved a lot last season and showed flashes of brilliance that seemed to get more and more frequent as the season went on. I expected at least 15 a game from him (especially in the improved minutes he's been getting! He plays about 30 minutes a game now, right?).

I think JSW brings up a good point about how good Calbert's been... but, in my eyes, he's always been bringing this sort of thing to the table. Sure mid-range, slight post ability, and steady defense. He's rock solid most nights, and nothing's really changed this season. I've always believed in him because he's played well during his minutes for the Warriors (especially back in the Speedy Claxton days). He hasn't been more of a bonus than Fisher, Murphy, or Baron in my opinion, though.

And Chris Taft still seems ineffective to me, Thunder. Don't get me wrong; he's leaps and bounds ahead of what I thought he WOULD be... but I think the title "biggest bonus" should go to a guy who's helping us win games and, at the moment, I dunno if we could really say Taft's been helping us with that. Showing flashes of what he will become? Absolutely. But I wouldn't call him our best surprise this season (not even over Diogu, who's doing more with his minutes than Taft did).
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:16 pm
Murphy's low post game, it came out of nowhere. D fish will come back to earth, but murphy has proved to me that his post skills are now legit.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:28 pm
#32 wrote:Pietrus has probably been the most disappointing thing this season. I expected a near-break out season.

What? and let me repeat. What? and let me repeat. What?
Wow man, u are obviously partial toward dunleavy. Cause the guy couldn’t hit water if he fell out of the boat, his first twelve games of the year were awful.

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:12 am
I agree about Fish and others, but I like Ike. He seems like he can be the down low threat with Troy that will make Baron and JRich's game that much easier.
11 years of no playoffs and counting...
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:17 am
I guess it is a matter of the question #32.

The "biggest bonus" wouldn't be Taft but rather the team defense or Murphy's ability to go towards the basket. However, I was thinking in terms of who has produced far above what you expected them to. J-Rich, BD, and all the other vets are doing pretty much what I expected them to do. I am not that surprised at what Diogu is doing because I saw him play enough at the college level. It didn't take many ASU games to know that he is going to be a huge player at the next level. I didn't think Taft was going to do much at all this year so that is why the few minutes, and value of the minutes, has been the biggest surprise to me.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:27 am
#32 wrote:I didn't buy into Mike Dunleavy being a better player for more than about 2 weeks. Mickael Pietrus, on the other hand, I expected to be better the entire off-season. In my eyes, he had a bigger fall. As bad as Dunleavy's been, you can always just shake your head and say "that's Mike... always up and down". Pietrus is different. He improved a lot last season and showed flashes of brilliance that seemed to get more and more frequent as the season went on. I expected at least 15 a game from him (especially in the improved minutes he's been getting! He plays about 30 minutes a game now, right?).

Firstly #32, you were one of the strangley enough, many that said that dun was going to have a great year and you referred to the preseason game where he scored 30. Now you would have undoubtedly changed your mind (you obviously are not stupid). Also, with dun getting the new big contract, it was to be expected that he would get increased minutes, which he has gotten, especially in the first 8 or so games of the season. Pietrus has done better than last season in the lesser playing time he has had.

NO - Pietrus does not get anywhere near 30mins per game. He should but he gets about half of that.

Pietrus was such a bright spot and then he got injured. Fisher has done a great job stepping up to cover the loss and I have given him credit already.

The biggest disappointment and perhaps the only disappointment has been Dunleavy. Much was expected and nothing delivered so far!

The rest of the Warriors are to be comended for their play so far this season, including Foyle who has scored a little and rebounded more than I have ever seen him!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:29 am
The Real Newman wrote:What? and let me repeat. What? and let me repeat. What?
Wow man, u are obviously partial toward dunleavy. Cause the guy couldn’t hit water if he fell out of the boat, his first twelve games of the year were awful.

He probably couldn't get laid in a whore house either! hahahaha

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:32 am
By the end of the year we all might be saying that Diogu has done real well and been the most surprising. Hope so

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:01 am
To be honest, Pietrus was playing 22.1 minutes, and shooting only slightly better than others (.318 from 3pt). He wasn't exactly a bright spot. Just not as bad as Dun.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball