Joe Smith can help the dubs

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:28 pm
How about we get Joe Smith. The Thunder don't want him. we desperately need another PF. He's making about 5 mill. he's got 1 year left. Maybe marco and another name for him? Im certain the Thunder wont be asking for much.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:29 pm
Is there anyway the mods can move this to the trade section, I put this in the wrong section... LOL my bad :banghead:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:45 pm
What for, that would just take time away from BWright and Randolph, moreso. Nelson just needs to use the players far better and that starts with giving the two youngster bigs I just mentioned more court time and keeping the priks on the court if they play well. Turiaf isn't bad either, especially defensively and he can rebound alright as well

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:46 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Is there anyway the mods can move this to the trade section, I put this in the wrong section... LOL my bad :banghead:

your wish is my command! 8)

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:21 pm
i agree with mgya...it would just take time away from wright and randolph. i like that nelson stuck with starting wright and that wright actually played a good amount of meaningful minutes...but i think that he should stay away from putting maggs at 4 and instead have randolph play there. turiaf can even play 4 with biedrins at 5 when need be.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:35 am
Um... why do we need Joe Smith for, exactly?. He's a role player that will only take more minutes from our young kids, as Migya and E-Man have posted. I just don't see any positive that trading for Joe Smith might bring to the team.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:23 am
bada wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Is there anyway the mods can move this to the trade section, I put this in the wrong section... LOL my bad :banghead:

thanks Genie Bada :D

TMC wrote: Um... why do we need Joe Smith for, exactly?. He's a role player that will only take more minutes from our young kids, as Migya and E-Man have posted. I just don't see any positive that trading for Joe Smith might bring to the team.

well my thinking is that we need another body. AND we dont need Marco Belineli. Thunder might want him. Plus we need another big body, cuz we CANT start Turiaf. We simply dont have another Big man in the bench to replace Beans or him when foul trouble or other issues rise. Who else can play center. So Turiaf needs to be the primary backup of Beans. So if we get Smith, he can start, and let us be respectable this year. So Maggs doesnt have to play PF. AND Smith is a pretty good rebounder, the biggest need in this team.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:29 am
what truly blows is some teams get the #1 pick and they get, oh lets say, Lebron. We get it, and nab Joe Smith

If i believed in witch-craft, i'd swear we're cursed! ( **** i don't believe in witch-craft and swear we are!!)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:33 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:well my thinking is that we need another body. AND we dont need Marco Belineli. Thunder might want him. Plus we need another big body, cuz we CANT start Turiaf. We simply dont have another Big man in the bench to replace Beans or him when foul trouble or other issues rise. Who else can play center. So Turiaf needs to be the primary backup of Beans. So if we get Smith, he can start, and let us be respectable this year. So Maggs doesnt have to play PF. AND Smith is a pretty good rebounder, the biggest need in this team.

Well, that's true, but it's not like Joe Smith is gonna help us be a contender, not even for the playoffs. So my reasoning is that it's better to have a worse team for this year and get a better draft pick in the lottery.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:39 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
bada wrote:

TMC wrote: Um... why do we need Joe Smith for, exactly?. He's a role player that will only take more minutes from our young kids, as Migya and E-Man have posted. I just don't see any positive that trading for Joe Smith might bring to the team.

well my thinking is that we need another body. AND we dont need Marco Belineli. Thunder might want him. Plus we need another big body, cuz we CANT start Turiaf. We simply dont have another Big man in the bench to replace Beans or him when foul trouble or other issues rise. Who else can play center. So Turiaf needs to be the primary backup of Beans. So if we get Smith, he can start, and let us be respectable this year. So Maggs doesnt have to play PF. AND Smith is a pretty good rebounder, the biggest need in this team.

Trouble with that is, your lineup would be =

Crawford (Or whoever)
S-Jax (Or whoever)
Mags (Or whoever)
Smith
Beans

Brandan and Randolph play even less than they are now.............which is crap.

Then..............as Ive said 174 times..............what happens when Monta comes back???

Crawford or Monta
Monta or S-Jax
Mags or S-Jax
Smith or Mags
Beans

Even less time for Brandan and Randolph...........and one of our "big 4" have to come off the bench..........which none of them will be happy about (yeah yeah yeah, Ive heard all the "Well, they will HAVE to be happy about it Bigs".........but it doesnt work like that unfortunately, any one of those players is not going to be happy coming off the bench, and wont play well, will cause a stink about it and we have more drama)

Basically, we arent making any moves, unless its to get rid of one of Monta/Crawford/S-Jax/Mags.............and I GUARENTEE YOU!!! that once Monta comes back, this will be our line-up and main rotation for the remainder of the season =

Crawford
Monta
S-Jax
Mags
Beans

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:26 am
bigstrads wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
bada wrote:

Trouble with that is, your lineup would be =

Crawford (Or whoever)
S-Jax (Or whoever)
Mags (Or whoever)
Smith
Beans

Brandan and Randolph play even less than they are now.............which is crap.

Then..............as Ive said 174 times..............what happens when Monta comes back???

Crawford or Monta
Monta or S-Jax
Mags or S-Jax
Smith or Mags
Beans

Even less time for Brandan and Randolph...........and one of our "big 4" have to come off the bench..........which none of them will be happy about (yeah yeah yeah, Ive heard all the "Well, they will HAVE to be happy about it Bigs".........but it doesnt work like that unfortunately, any one of those players is not going to be happy coming off the bench, and wont play well, will cause a stink about it and we have more drama)

Basically, we arent making any moves, unless its to get rid of one of Monta/Crawford/S-Jax/Mags.............and I GUARENTEE YOU!!! that once Monta comes back, this will be our line-up and main rotation for the remainder of the season =

Crawford
Monta
S-Jax
Mags
Beans

well i get the point of playing the youth, but frankly, neither are capable of guarding a power forword/center. We Have count it 2 players that can legitamately guard 2 positions. We are letting opponents score 120 points a night cuz we can't rebound or guard big men. Its simple. Talk about the youth all you want, but they left college too early, and there not physically ready to get consistent playing time.

as for the lets tank the season for better pick. I get the principle in it (ala get better talent), but as a sports fan, whats the point? Why take a gamble on tanking now for a unsure thing later? U think the Wizards and Raptors which drafted Kwame and bargnani respectively feel proud of their number 1 overall picks in years past? What about Pistons with Darko? The draft is generally inconsistent, so my theory is just try your best always, even with a not so great squad.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:34 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:as for the lets tank the season for better pick. I get the principle in it (ala get better talent), but as a sports fan, whats the point? Why take a gamble on tanking now for a unsure thing later? U think the Wizards and Raptors which drafted Kwame and bargnani respectively feel proud of their number 1 overall picks in years past? What about Pistons with Darko? The draft is generally inconsistent, so my theory is just try your best always, even with a not so great squad.

Well, I thought like you once, but then I thought that the biggest resposibility of a team owner/GM/coach is not to win game, but to field a contender that can win the title, and for that they have to get their team the biggest chance to win. If that means losing to increse your chance on the lottey, that's what has to be done.

If the pick turns out to be an ugly one, then the GM should be blamed for it, but trying hard to win 5 more games when you know that hurts your chances to pick between different players doesn't make sense to me.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:09 pm
TMC wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:well my thinking is that we need another body. AND we dont need Marco Belineli. Thunder might want him. Plus we need another big body, cuz we CANT start Turiaf. We simply dont have another Big man in the bench to replace Beans or him when foul trouble or other issues rise. Who else can play center. So Turiaf needs to be the primary backup of Beans. So if we get Smith, he can start, and let us be respectable this year. So Maggs doesnt have to play PF. AND Smith is a pretty good rebounder, the biggest need in this team.

Well, that's true, but it's not like Joe Smith is gonna help us be a contender, not even for the playoffs. So my reasoning is that it's better to have a worse team for this year and get a better draft pick in the lottery.

There's nothing Joe Smith provides that BWright and Randolph don't. He has experience over them, that's it and it's not like he does a whole lot anyway. Nelson wouldn't use him much anyway so just nothing there

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to Trades