Seattle Seahawks Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:57 pm
With Mike Holmgren about to depart is it time to hand over the reigns to Jim Mora and see what the dude can do with the remaining scheduale?

It's also a perfect time for Jim Mora to develop his love with a run happy Quarterback in Seana Wallace... i for one think Jim Moras offense in Atlanta was better with a scrambling Vick as opposed to a On Target Schuab...

Hasselbeck trade is definately something the squad should consider doing because the athleticism associated with Wallace.

Anyways please feel free to drop your comments on this thread about the 3rd most talked about ballclub on goldenstwarriors.com
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:33 am
I don't like Jim Mora Jr. I think Holmgren could of picked a better successor.

Like I said before, if this team was healthy, they're a 9-7 team. They can compete with the elite NFC teams. Some things I think this 'Hawks team needs to do to be able to be a Superbowl contender again in no specific order:

1. They need to stay healthy.

2. They need a true pass catching TE.

3. A better RB... though Jones has had his days, he's nothing more than a backup. Same with Duckett.

4. A revamped o-line. After the loss of Hutchinson, the run game hasn't been the same.

I think the defense is there... Trufant and Tatupu have played hurt all year. Although, I think they could use an upgrade at safety.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:46 am
xbay wrote:
4. A revamped o-line. After the loss of Hutchinson, the run game hasn't been the same.

I think the defense is there... Trufant and Tatupu have played hurt all year. Although, I think they could use an upgrade at safety.

Yeah the defense is getting too worked over on the offense lack of ability to stay on the field and put some phases together.

The O line has definately dropped off... we all saw Shaun Alexanders numbers dip when Hutchinson left.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:25 am
The Seahawks have always been my second team, so try I follow them quite a bit.

One question for Bada, tho. Signign Jim Mora Jr. (who I like as coordinator, but not so much as HC) as your next HC in advance doesn't violate the Rooney rule?. Seems like the same case of the Rams with Haslett, and the league has voided that agreement. I don't really care if it was done in the offseason or not, because the situation is exactly the same.

Other than that, I think they're a 10-6 team (due to the division they play in), but injuries have ended their season way too soon. But hey, they'll have a high pick for next year's draft, and that's gonna help them a lot for the future.

One thing I don't agree with XBay's list is its second point, the TE. I like what Carlson has done so far. Other than that, I totally agree.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:58 am
thanks for starting Pawno! Awesome

But dude, you gotta give up the Wallace thing. He is NOT an NFL QB and is nor ever will be in Mora's plan

I think Mora will be a much better coach the 2nd time around. I think he learned a lot and he will offer a much different style than Holmgren. He will provide some enthusiasm and aggresiveness.

Holmgren does not really allow his players to have much fun. He demands perfection and it is a lot like playing for your Dad. You are disciplined and do the fundamentals right, but you dont have much fun.

To xbay's points:
1- Need to stay healthy - Yes, this year has been brutal. Hard for any team to function with these injuries.
2- Need a true pass catching TE - agree with TMC. Carlson has looked very good (with the exception of a big drop last week). Coaches rave about his ability and Holmgren has said he is the most natural pass catching TE he has ever coached.
3- Better RB- dont think this is a huge need. While they COULD improve, JJ is adequate and there are bigger needs.
4- Revamped O-line - Former 1st round pick center Spencer has been a bust. Wahle at LG was a great signing but sadly Walter Jones is nearing the end of his career although he is still SO dominant. The right side of the line needs improving. RT Locklear has regressed after a very promising rookie season

Defense- They HAVE the personell. The could use a corner with more size and I am praying they make a BIG run at Nmandi from the Raiders. Their problem is a SHITTY defensive coordinater in Jim Marshall. He is so vanilla and has no originality and cant make adjustments.

TMC about the Rooney rule. Yeah, it is a bit strange. I think how they did it is because there NEVER was an opening and they hired someone from within. Holmgren is still under contract and they signed a new contract with More to take over. They were required to sign a new contract with him stating he would take over the HC.

The Hasslet thing was different becaue Linehan was FIRED so there was a job opening. So before they can hire a permanent HC, they have to follow the rooney rule.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:19 am
bada wrote:But dude, you gotta give up the Wallace thing. He is NOT an NFL QB and is nor ever will be in Mora's plan

Hey, you can always trade him to the Raiders. I bet Al would be willing to give you... I don't know, a second and a fourth, maybe? :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:05 pm
bada wrote:I am praying they make a BIG run at Nmandi from the Raiders.

I'd **** myself if that happens. Last thing I need to see is, IMO, the best under the radar player in the NFL go to the Seahawks. Nnamdi is very underrated. And while opposing teams do give him the respect by not throwing to him, he doesn't get the attention he should get for being one of the top 3 corners in the league. But heck, I wouldn't want to see him on the Rams and Cardinals as well.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:13 pm
xbay wrote:

I'd **** myself if that happens. Last thing I need to see is, IMO, the best under the radar player in the NFL go to the Seahawks. Nnamdi is very underrated. And while opposing teams do give him the respect by not throwing to him, he doesn't get the attention he should get for being one of the top 3 corners in the league. But heck, I wouldn't want to see him on the Rams and Cardinals as well.

Absolutely. Nmandi is by far the best player in that organization. And he seems like a man of character as well.

A lot of fans on message boards are calling for the Hawks to sign Hall now that he has been released. I guess the Mora connection. I would NOT be happy about that.... unless of course he signed a dirt cheap contract but you know he will want to get PAID.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:15 pm
bada wrote:
xbay wrote:

Absolutely. Nmandi is by far the best player in that organization. And he seems like a man of character as well.

A lot of fans on message boards are calling for the Hawks to sign Hall now that he has been released. I guess the Mora connection. I would NOT be happy about that.... unless of course he signed a dirt cheap contract but you know he will want to get PAID.

That's just stupid. Why would the guy want to be paid after two teams dumped him because he sucks? Doesn't he get the message already? Guess he'll never understand that he'll never prove the smack talkers wrong.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:29 pm
bada wrote:A lot of fans on message boards are calling for the Hawks to sign Hall now that he has been released. I guess the Mora connection. I would NOT be happy about that.... unless of course he signed a dirt cheap contract but you know he will want to get PAID.

Same thing happens with Bucs fans. Everybody wants to sign Hall, considering Ronde Barber's age and that he's slowed down a bit this year.

Still, I DO NOT want him, not even as a cheap signing. We already have Ronde's replacement in Aquib Talib, and I'd hate to add a guy that doesn't know the system and will get burned too much to rely on him on single coverage.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:14 pm
From a Seahawks beat writer's blog:

I don't know if this is like the game of telephone, where something is passed on from one person to the next, the context of the message gets changed and the misinformation picks up steam; or whether there is legitimacy to any of it, but the Jim Mora-to-Washington rumors simply will not die.

I was just taking a look at Bob Condotta's blog over at the Times, and he posted an item that says Mora's Wikipedia entry was briefly updated -- then changed -- saying Mora would be announced as UW's coach on Dec. 3. It is an eight-year deal, the item said, before being taken off the site. Here is a link to Bob's post.

I myself have gotten a flurry of emails informing me that Mora would be announced in the next 24 hours; that Paul Allen and Scott Woodward have sat down to discuss the issue; that Mora is definitely going to be the Huskies' next coach and it will be announced any moment. There has been no indication from Renton that anything has changed from Mora's initial -- and only -- statement on the topic, saying he is not a candidate for the position. Yet the rumors will continue in earnest until UW hires a head coach -- whether that is Mora or somebody else.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:54 pm
I know Mora has previously expressed his interest to take over Washington, but I didn't think it was actually going to happen and he'd stay in the NFL. If this happens, what's in line for the Seahawks' future at HC?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:09 am
xbay wrote:I know Mora has previously expressed his interest to take over Washington, but I didn't think it was actually going to happen and he'd stay in the NFL. If this happens, what's in line for the Seahawks' future at HC?

Yeah, I thought he had already signed to be the Seahawks HC. Is he going to pull a Saban even before coaching his first practice with the Seahawks or what?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:05 am
yes, he does have a deal in place to become the new head coach of the Seahawks. He has denied he is a candidate but certainly the rumors have not died. He is a former Husky player and yes he did say a couple years ago that it is his dream job.

Will be interesting to see what happens.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:37 am
today's update:

KJR-AM host Dave "Softy'' Mahler just announced on his show that any chance of Jim Mora becoming the Husky coach is dead.

Mahler said he spoke this morning with former UW quarterback Hugh Millen --- whose close relationship with Mora is well known, the two were roommates in college -- and that Millen told him that "there's no chance, no way'' of Mora becoming the next Husky coach.

Millen told Mahler he had had communication with Millen in the last 12-24 hours and that Mora will not coach the Huskies in 2009 and will coach the Seahawks.

So that should begin to put this issue to bed. As we have reported on numerous occassions, there was no thought that anything had ever really changed since Mora released his statement Oct. 31 saying he is not a candidate.

Return to Sports Board