Can We Trade Maggette?

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

As of right now, who needs to go?

Maggette
10
67%
Azubuike
0
No votes
Crawford
3
20%
Ellis
0
No votes
Other
1
7%
No one
1
7%
 
Total votes : 15


All Star
Posts: 1471
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: SF
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:18 pm
Is it even possible? 2 questions:

1) Is there any precedent for trading a semi-star player just a couple months after signing him as a FA??

2) Will Don Nelson be able to part with his small ball power forward?

I'm not saying he needs to be traded, because he's only played in a handful of games, and we haven't seen him play with Crawford and Ellis yet. I'm curious as to the potential of possibly moving him.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:30 pm
Possible?. In a month, yes.

Why him?. Because, considering his contract, production, injury history and the kind of roster we have, he makes the most sense to be moved.

Will it happen?. I can't see the team trading him this season.

All Star
Posts: 2035
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:33 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:39 pm
I like Maggette!!! I like his rebounding, defense and hit able to get fouled in half court situations!!! Plus, he's the biggest 6'6 player that we have!!! We are not going to get equal value for him...So I'd don't know why he's the player everyone wants to see get traded!!!

Brandan is still not ready!!! He's good when we play an uptempo team like the Nuggets but Maggette produces more right now so that's way Nellie goes to him...
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1758
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am
Location: napa
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:18 am
J-Rich wrote:I like Maggette!!! I like his rebounding, defense and hit able to get fouled in half court situations!!! Plus, he's the biggest 6'6 player that we have!!! We are not going to get equal value for him...So I'd don't know why he's the player everyone wants to see get traded!!!

Brandan is still not ready!!! He's good when we play an uptempo team like the Nuggets but Maggette produces more right now so that's way Nellie goes to him...


Maggette is really good, but there is no place for him once Monta comes back. He is making too much $$ to stay with the team. There is about 40 million tied up in the swing position on a team with no real point guard.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3244
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:29 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:07 pm
has there ever been a situation where a big(ok biggish) named free agent signs only to be traded in the first year though? I can't think of any recently?

for the record i like mags, just not when he turns into a jump shooter
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1396
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:03 pm
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:05 pm
Evening Scoop: Maggette Next Traded?

By: Bill Ingram Last Updated: 11/24/08 5:34 PM ET | 2463 times read



In case you're wondering why the Golden State Warriors are stockpiling swing players (and why wouldn't you be wondering?) get ready for the next major move. The Warriors didn't exactly have Corey Maggette on their short list when they approached free agency 2008, but when the time came for them to use their cash he was simply the best name left.

The thinking was that they could keep him until December 15th, when he will be eligible to be traded, and make a better move at that time. Given that the Warriors recently locked up Stephen Jackson long-term, which they weren't sure they'd be able to do, it seems more and more likely that Maggette will be the one who gets the Warriors the point guard they need.

So who will it be?

One possiblity might be the Dallas Mavericks' Jason Terry. The Clippers were close to making a Maggette-for-Terry swap last summer, but it was killed by ownership. Terry, of course, is intimately familiar with the Don Nelson system, and is among the best scoring point guards in the league. The Mavericks would hate to give up Jet, but they desperately need a two who can create his own shot. Maggette would immediately start and improve the starting lineup drastically.

The Mavericks could also swap Jerry Stackhouse for Maggette straight up. Stackhouse was a favorite of Nellie's, as well, and represents not only a potential ending contract but also a person who could move to the coaching staff next season. That was the long-term plan in Dallas when Nellie was the coach there.

It may seem to be a stretch that the Warriors and Mavericks get anything done. The bad blood between Mark Cuban and Nellie has been well-documented, but perhaps Donnie Nelson, GM of Mavericks, could help smooth things over if it means making a deal that drastically helps both teams.


http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10716
Wish List

*New Owner and Management =D>
*Trade Monta
*Trade Maggette =D>
*Tank the season, get the top pick and draft Harrison Barnes
to be continued...

Moderator
Posts: 5356
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:23 pm
Mr.KC wrote:
Evening Scoop: Maggette Next Traded?

By: Bill Ingram Last Updated: 11/24/08 5:34 PM ET | 2463 times read



In case you're wondering why the Golden State Warriors are stockpiling swing players (and why wouldn't you be wondering?) get ready for the next major move. The Warriors didn't exactly have Corey Maggette on their short list when they approached free agency 2008, but when the time came for them to use their cash he was simply the best name left.

The thinking was that they could keep him until December 15th, when he will be eligible to be traded, and make a better move at that time. Given that the Warriors recently locked up Stephen Jackson long-term, which they weren't sure they'd be able to do, it seems more and more likely that Maggette will be the one who gets the Warriors the point guard they need.

So who will it be?

One possiblity might be the Dallas Mavericks' Jason Terry. The Clippers were close to making a Maggette-for-Terry swap last summer, but it was killed by ownership. Terry, of course, is intimately familiar with the Don Nelson system, and is among the best scoring point guards in the league. The Mavericks would hate to give up Jet, but they desperately need a two who can create his own shot. Maggette would immediately start and improve the starting lineup drastically.

The Mavericks could also swap Jerry Stackhouse for Maggette straight up. Stackhouse was a favorite of Nellie's, as well, and represents not only a potential ending contract but also a person who could move to the coaching staff next season. That was the long-term plan in Dallas when Nellie was the coach there.

It may seem to be a stretch that the Warriors and Mavericks get anything done. The bad blood between Mark Cuban and Nellie has been well-documented, but perhaps Donnie Nelson, GM of Mavericks, could help smooth things over if it means making a deal that drastically helps both teams.


http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10716


ugh. Terry or Stackhouse, i think i would perfer Maggette.

But i agree with the general consensus, that i prolly would want Maggette gone, before anyone else. I just dont feel that warrior passion in him, as i seen in some of the young pups and Jax. No way we trading monta if he's healthy 100%, and Crawford is a good combo guard to have (poor man's Joe Johnson..err maybe working class, he's not that bad). However, i wouldnt want Maggs traded for a PG, unless its a top 7 pg, or one that will develop into one. I would perfer a PF/C.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3244
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:29 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:38 pm
I just don't see anyone else taking on his contract
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1396
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:03 pm
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:02 pm
02-22-2007
Yahoo! Sports is reporting that the Utah Jazz are in talks to acquire Corey Maggette from the Clippers. What does the team have to offer? According to Yahoo! -- "Gordan Giricek (two more years on his contract at $4 million per year); Rafael Araujo ($2.4 million, expiring contract); rookie Ronnie Brewer; all their draft picks, plus a New York Knicks pick that becomes unprotected in 2010."

http://www.goteamsgo.com/forum/utah-jaz ... umors.html

:?:

interesting...

maybe its possible we could work out a trade centered around Maggette to Utah for Andrei Kirilenko?

there would have to be other players involved...

maggette, marco and williams for kirilenko?
Wish List

*New Owner and Management =D>
*Trade Monta
*Trade Maggette =D>
*Tank the season, get the top pick and draft Harrison Barnes
to be continued...
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:19 pm
I'm down for anything really. I just want to see the youngsters grow and get playing time. But since that's not really happening, I guess trading Maggs away could be something... but not for Terry or Stackhouse. No way would I take on either of those two..
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3244
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:29 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:24 pm
Mr.KC wrote:
02-22-2007
Yahoo! Sports is reporting that the Utah Jazz are in talks to acquire Corey Maggette from the Clippers. What does the team have to offer? According to Yahoo! -- "Gordan Giricek (two more years on his contract at $4 million per year); Rafael Araujo ($2.4 million, expiring contract); rookie Ronnie Brewer; all their draft picks, plus a New York Knicks pick that becomes unprotected in 2010."

http://www.goteamsgo.com/forum/utah-jaz ... umors.html

:?:

interesting...

maybe its possible we could work out a trade centered around Maggette to Utah for Andrei Kirilenko?


there would have to be other players involved...

maggette, marco and williams for kirilenko?



lol that was last year! (ie before signing for $50mil)

All Star
Posts: 1471
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: SF
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:15 pm
Mr.KC wrote:
Evening Scoop: Maggette Next Traded?

By: Bill Ingram Last Updated: 11/24/08 5:34 PM ET | 2463 times read



In case you're wondering why the Golden State Warriors are stockpiling swing players (and why wouldn't you be wondering?) get ready for the next major move. The Warriors didn't exactly have Corey Maggette on their short list when they approached free agency 2008, but when the time came for them to use their cash he was simply the best name left.

The thinking was that they could keep him until December 15th, when he will be eligible to be traded, and make a better move at that time. Given that the Warriors recently locked up Stephen Jackson long-term, which they weren't sure they'd be able to do, it seems more and more likely that Maggette will be the one who gets the Warriors the point guard they need.

So who will it be?

One possiblity might be the Dallas Mavericks' Jason Terry. The Clippers were close to making a Maggette-for-Terry swap last summer, but it was killed by ownership. Terry, of course, is intimately familiar with the Don Nelson system, and is among the best scoring point guards in the league. The Mavericks would hate to give up Jet, but they desperately need a two who can create his own shot. Maggette would immediately start and improve the starting lineup drastically.

The Mavericks could also swap Jerry Stackhouse for Maggette straight up. Stackhouse was a favorite of Nellie's, as well, and represents not only a potential ending contract but also a person who could move to the coaching staff next season. That was the long-term plan in Dallas when Nellie was the coach there.

It may seem to be a stretch that the Warriors and Mavericks get anything done. The bad blood between Mark Cuban and Nellie has been well-documented, but perhaps Donnie Nelson, GM of Mavericks, could help smooth things over if it means making a deal that drastically helps both teams.


http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10716


even though it's just a rumor, it's great to see that basketball minds think it's possible. but i wonder what the rest of the league will think of our organization if we trade a player just after signing him to 5 years.
i'd say it affects FA wanting to come here, but they never wanted to come anyway.


the spurs and the celtics were looking into signing maggs in the offseason. with all the injuries, the spurs might be a good team to offer him to.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3244
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:29 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:19 pm
fine wrote:
Mr.KC wrote:
Evening Scoop: Maggette Next Traded?

By: Bill Ingram Last Updated: 11/24/08 5:34 PM ET | 2463 times read



In case you're wondering why the Golden State Warriors are stockpiling swing players (and why wouldn't you be wondering?) get ready for the next major move. The Warriors didn't exactly have Corey Maggette on their short list when they approached free agency 2008, but when the time came for them to use their cash he was simply the best name left.

The thinking was that they could keep him until December 15th, when he will be eligible to be traded, and make a better move at that time. Given that the Warriors recently locked up Stephen Jackson long-term, which they weren't sure they'd be able to do, it seems more and more likely that Maggette will be the one who gets the Warriors the point guard they need.

So who will it be?

One possiblity might be the Dallas Mavericks' Jason Terry. The Clippers were close to making a Maggette-for-Terry swap last summer, but it was killed by ownership. Terry, of course, is intimately familiar with the Don Nelson system, and is among the best scoring point guards in the league. The Mavericks would hate to give up Jet, but they desperately need a two who can create his own shot. Maggette would immediately start and improve the starting lineup drastically.

The Mavericks could also swap Jerry Stackhouse for Maggette straight up. Stackhouse was a favorite of Nellie's, as well, and represents not only a potential ending contract but also a person who could move to the coaching staff next season. That was the long-term plan in Dallas when Nellie was the coach there.

It may seem to be a stretch that the Warriors and Mavericks get anything done. The bad blood between Mark Cuban and Nellie has been well-documented, but perhaps Donnie Nelson, GM of Mavericks, could help smooth things over if it means making a deal that drastically helps both teams.


http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10716


even though it's just a rumor, it's great to see that basketball minds think it's possible. but i wonder what the rest of the league will think of our organization if we trade a player just after signing him to 5 years.
i'd say it affects FA wanting to come here, but they never wanted to come anyway.


the spurs and the celtics were looking into signing maggs in the offseason. with all the injuries, the spurs might be a good team to offer him to.


I can't think of anything they've got that we'd want(besides the obvious that they wouldn't trade)

All Star
Posts: 3317
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:33 pm
Location: the STACK
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:31 pm
i like the affect he's had on this team already. instead of a bunch of young head cases, our team is a blue collar hard working team that doesnt just fall in love with the 3pt shot anymore. even jackson (though still throwing up 7 3pt attempts a game) has cut down and started to prefer getting a closer shot.

i say hang on to him for the rest of the season and maybe next season too before trying to trade him.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Image

All Star
Posts: 1471
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: SF
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:52 am
Quazza wrote:
fine wrote:
Mr.KC wrote:
Evening Scoop: Maggette Next Traded?

By: Bill Ingram Last Updated: 11/24/08 5:34 PM ET | 2463 times read



In case you're wondering why the Golden State Warriors are stockpiling swing players (and why wouldn't you be wondering?) get ready for the next major move. The Warriors didn't exactly have Corey Maggette on their short list when they approached free agency 2008, but when the time came for them to use their cash he was simply the best name left.

The thinking was that they could keep him until December 15th, when he will be eligible to be traded, and make a better move at that time. Given that the Warriors recently locked up Stephen Jackson long-term, which they weren't sure they'd be able to do, it seems more and more likely that Maggette will be the one who gets the Warriors the point guard they need.

So who will it be?

One possiblity might be the Dallas Mavericks' Jason Terry. The Clippers were close to making a Maggette-for-Terry swap last summer, but it was killed by ownership. Terry, of course, is intimately familiar with the Don Nelson system, and is among the best scoring point guards in the league. The Mavericks would hate to give up Jet, but they desperately need a two who can create his own shot. Maggette would immediately start and improve the starting lineup drastically.

The Mavericks could also swap Jerry Stackhouse for Maggette straight up. Stackhouse was a favorite of Nellie's, as well, and represents not only a potential ending contract but also a person who could move to the coaching staff next season. That was the long-term plan in Dallas when Nellie was the coach there.

It may seem to be a stretch that the Warriors and Mavericks get anything done. The bad blood between Mark Cuban and Nellie has been well-documented, but perhaps Donnie Nelson, GM of Mavericks, could help smooth things over if it means making a deal that drastically helps both teams.


http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10716


even though it's just a rumor, it's great to see that basketball minds think it's possible. but i wonder what the rest of the league will think of our organization if we trade a player just after signing him to 5 years.
i'd say it affects FA wanting to come here, but they never wanted to come anyway.


the spurs and the celtics were looking into signing maggs in the offseason. with all the injuries, the spurs might be a good team to offer him to.


I can't think of anything they've got that we'd want(besides the obvious that they wouldn't trade)


nevermind boston, i don't think their entire bench equals 8 million in payroll.

as for a trade with the spurs, we can get bowen and kurt thomas. thomas would be semi-useful. and we'd get bowen just so we can boo him more often.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
Next

Return to Trades

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron