Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:57 am
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...in_could_.html

It seems Warriors GM Chris Mullin could be part of Knicks' leadership troika
Saturday, November 22nd 2008, 4:23 PM

Chris Mullin
With the trade of Al Harrington to the Knicks, the curtain has come down on Chris Mullin's reign as general manager of the Warriors.

Larry Riley, a recent import with Golden State, has been performing all of the Warriors' GM duties the last few weeks, signaling the end for Mullin, whose contract expires at the end of the season.

LUPICA: KNICKS SET STAGE FOR RUN AT LEBRON
The one exception came when several teams called the Warriors in the days leading up to the Harrington deal on Friday to try to propose a three-way package.

"When it comes to Harrington and New York, that's between Mully and Donnie," Riley told one Eastern Conference GM, referring to Knicks president Donnie Walsh. "They go back a long time."

So long that Mullin is seen as the most logical candidate to come to work for Walsh as the Knicks' GM in July. He was always among the favorites, which included Denver VP Mark Warkentien, ex-76ers president Billy King and and Detroit executive Tony Ronzone.

LAWRENCE: DONNIE WALSH HAS DEALT DESPAIR FOR HOPE
Besides having a relationship with Walsh that dates back to his playing days in Indiana, it can't hurt Mullin's chances that he did Walsh an enormous favor two days ago. He helped the Knicks start clearing cap room for LeBron James in 2010 by taking back Jamal Crawford for Harrington. Then another old Walsh guy, Mike Dunleavy, who played under Walsh and the legendary Frank McGuire at South Carolina, completed the Knicks' banner day by taking on Zach Randolph.

The Knicks cleared what could be $46 million in cap room, but it can't all go to James. So Walsh still might hire a GM to help him assemble the kind of team that James wants to come to New York to play for in two seasons. It's not viewed as a deal-breaker, but the Knicks know that even a player of James' skills can only take a marginal supporting cast so far.

A GM would also bring a new dynamic to the Walsh-Mike D'Antoni relationship, which had one rough bump (Stephon Marbury's demotion/deactivation) but seems to be going smoothly otherwise.

"If Donnie brings in someone else, that will be something we'll talk about," D'Antoni said. "Then all three of us will have to be on the same page. But one of the reasons I came here is because I really trust Donnie and his experience. That's the main reason. I don't really see a problem, at all. The only way it works in this league is when you're on the same page."

D'Antoni knows from recent experience. After his boss in Phoenix, Bryan Colangelo, left and eventually wound up in Toronto, his new boss, Steve Kerr, had a different outlook on what the team should stress (more defense in particular). When the Shaquille O'Neal trade couldn't get the Suns out of the first round last spring, D'Antoni felt that he was the one who had to take the majority of the blame for the failure, when the Shaq deal was Kerr's brainstorm from the start.
Wish List

*New Owner and Management =D>
*Trade Monta
*Trade Maggette =D>
*Tank the season, get the top pick and draft Harrison Barnes
to be continued...
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:03 pm
Mr.KC wrote:http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...in_could_.html

Chris Mullin
With the trade of Al Harrington to the Knicks, the curtain has come down on Chris Mullin's reign as general manager of the Warriors.

Larry Riley, a recent import with Golden State, has been performing all of the Warriors' GM duties the last few weeks, signaling the end for Mullin, whose contract expires at the end of the season.

The one exception came when several teams called the Warriors in the days leading up to the Harrington deal on Friday to try to propose a three-way package.

"When it comes to Harrington and New York, that's between Mully and Donnie," Riley told one Eastern Conference GM, referring to Knicks president Donnie Walsh. "They go back a long time."

So long that Mullin is seen as the most logical candidate to come to work for Walsh as the Knicks' GM in July. He was always among the favorites, which included Denver VP Mark Warkentien, ex-76ers president Billy King and and Detroit executive Tony Ronzone.

Besides having a relationship with Walsh that dates back to his playing days in Indiana, it can't hurt Mullin's chances that he did Walsh an enormous favor two days ago. He helped the Knicks start clearing cap room for LeBron James in 2010 by taking back Jamal Crawford for Harrington. Then another old Walsh guy, Mike Dunleavy, who played under Walsh and the legendary Frank McGuire at South Carolina, completed the Knicks' banner day by taking on Zach Randolph.

The Knicks cleared what could be $46 million in cap room, but it can't all go to James. So Walsh still might hire a GM to help him assemble the kind of team that James wants to come to New York to play for in two seasons. It's not viewed as a deal-breaker, but the Knicks know that even a player of James' skills can only take a marginal supporting cast so far.

A GM would also bring a new dynamic to the Walsh-Mike D'Antoni relationship, which had one rough bump (Stephon Marbury's demotion/deactivation) but seems to be going smoothly otherwise.

"If Donnie brings in someone else, that will be something we'll talk about," D'Antoni said. "Then all three of us will have to be on the same page. But one of the reasons I came here is because I really trust Donnie and his experience. That's the main reason. I don't really see a problem, at all. The only way it works in this league is when you're on the same page."

D'Antoni knows from recent experience. After his boss in Phoenix, Bryan Colangelo, left and eventually wound up in Toronto, his new boss, Steve Kerr, had a different outlook on what the team should stress (more defense in particular). When the Shaquille O'Neal trade couldn't get the Suns out of the first round last spring, D'Antoni felt that he was the one who had to take the majority of the blame for the failure, when the Shaq deal was Kerr's brainstorm from the start.

NY Daily News ::lol:

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:09 pm

Chris Mullin

what kind of sh*t is this.... this article is so dumb. Riley the guy who did this trade?

Aint this the same paper that had Ellis going to the knicks. This makes bay area sports writers look like honest saints compared to this crap.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:46 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

Chris Mullin

what kind of sh*t is this.... this article is so dumb. Riley the guy who did this trade?

Aint this the same paper that had Ellis going to the knicks. This makes bay area sports writers look like honest saints compared to this crap.

That's why I have started to hate the media. And the NY media is the worst of them all.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:50 pm
This paper is delusional. Not saying that the Mullin/Riley thing isn't true, but they think EVERYONE is going to the Knicks. If stuff this paper said was true, all of the players and most of the coaches/GMs in the NBA would be in New York.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:25 pm
They were talking about Mullin going to the Knicks couple months ago. And they're still talking about it? Wow.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:27 pm
Xbay I think your sig needs some updating :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:31 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:Xbay I think your sig needs some updating :mrgreen:

Yeah... I'll never know how many players he'll play. So I just changed it to a bunch of question marks.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:33 pm
xbay wrote:

Yeah... I'll never know how many players he'll play. So I just changed it to a bunch of question marks.

Ha ha, that'd be funny. Just put Jack and a whole bunch of question marks around him 'cause you know Jack is likely to play 48 minutes.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:38 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:
xbay wrote:

Ha ha, that'd be funny. Just put Jack and a whole bunch of question marks around him 'cause you know Jack is likely to play 48 minutes.

Ha yeah, I'm going to re-create my sig since some of those guys left and Wright hardly plays. But I'll keep Wright because I like him.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:39 pm
Yeah I would keep Wright, just get rid of Harrington and Nelson
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:41 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:Yeah I would keep Wright, just get rid of Harrington and Nelson

I have to add Crawford, though, and put question marks on Brandan.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:51 pm
Yeah, this team is a mess.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:44 pm
What's with the Knicks?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post ... nba,124641
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:52 pm
Well, since D'Antoni and Nash were together in Phoenix, it makes sense. Although, hearing nearly every superstar available in 2010 going to the Knicks is getting ridiculous.

Return to News Articles