Rookie Discussion

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:41 am
I have not been able to watch as much hoops this season as in years past so have not seen a lot of the rookies play other than who the Warriors have played against.

Wanted to get some thoughts of who you guys have seen and how are they doing.

Rose was nothing short of spectacular in that 2nd half last night. What a remarkable offensive player.

So if you have seen some rookies please share your thoughts good or bad.
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:16 pm
Nice thread idea Bada. :wink:

Well, Ive only seen Rose in ALOT of highlights and I have to say..........he is just fearless!!!

His combo of speed, athletisism, strength and confidence is just simply devastating! I didnt think he would be this good, this quick but he just tears defenses apart!

The only game Ive watched of another team this year was Phoenix vs New Jersey, the first match-up of the Lopez brothers.

The Phoenix one plays a little outside himself sometimes, and looks like he gets a little too excited and eager to do something.........and hence screws up.

The New Jersey one looks like a real nice player.........strong, not affraid to mix it up, and plays within himself, nice defensive and rebounding instincts.

Also for New Jersey, Chris Douglas-Roberts looks like a nice scorer, long, strong and confident........should be a nice efficient player soon.

And Ryan Anderson for them too, he was good against Phoenix, works real hard, fearless and great instincts around the basket..........and can shoot outside abit too.

Im sure Ill catch some more games but thats what Ive seen so far.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:25 pm
bigstrads wrote:Nice thread idea Bada. :wink:

Yep. I've seen a few. Not many, but it has to count for something.

First, I guess we're talking about non-warriors rookies, so I'm gonna pass on those.

1.- Derrick Rose. Only highlights, but looks fearless and lightning quick. I won't say anything else without watching a whole game, tho.

2.- Michael Beasley. I've seen a couple of Miami games, so I've got more to say than about Rose. Beasly looks like a scoring machine and decent rebounder who has no clue about what to do on defense. That's keeping him out on 4th quarters.

3.- O.J. Mayo. Great scorer. Not much else.

4.- Eric Gordon. Looks like the real deal. I think he's ready to start and contribute, doing a bit of everything. Really intense player. I like him a lot.

5.- Darrell Arthur. Good rebounder and decent defender. Might develop into a good role player.

6.- Marc Gasol. Already knew him. Great rebounder, good defender (although still adapting to the speed of the game), can score in the low post. Would look much better in a different kind of team. Memphis is just too anarchic for him.

7.- Rudy Fernandez. Same as Marc, I've seen him enough playing here. And he keeps doing the same. Scoring, rebounding, always being the first on fast breaks, good on steals, although he has to improve in other areas of his D. He's having a great year so far. On the bad side, he's an almost developed product. He'll improve a bit, once he gets more adapted to the NBA game, but what you see is what you get with him. Don't look for any hidden potential.

8.- Nicolas Batum. I didn't know Ime Udoka was still playing for the Blazers.

9.- Mario Chalmers. Good defender, great on steals, decent passer... doesn't help much on offense, tho. I think Miami counted on him being more of a factor with his outside shooting, but so far, he's been anything but accurate.

10.- Mike Taylor. Um... plays for the Clips. I've seen like two minutes of him, so don't ask.
All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:37 pm
Rose, Mayo, Rudy Fernandez , Gasol and Beasley... All are playing good.
Its looking like Rose was worth that number 1 pick but there a lot of good players in this draft class.
Morrow is the surprise.

Its all about next year... Blake Griffin, PF, Oklahoma. Future #1 pick and All-Star. He's the next great PF.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-42dQVvm_o[/youtube]
Wish List

*New Owner and Management =D>
*Trade Monta
*Trade Maggette =D>
*Tank the season, get the top pick and draft Harrison Barnes
to be continued...
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:00 pm
A second round I pick I really like is Luc Mbah a Moute. The man is a beast. His FG percentage is UGLY, but he's rebounding and playing defense real well.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:50 pm
1. Rose....great scorer handles ball well....not playing like a rookie PG
2. Mayo....(yes before beasley) Good Scorer
3. Beasley....he has been benched latley in the 4th Q because of his D other than that hes good on offense and his defense will come
4. Gasol
5. Oden...i have a feeling hell move up soon
6. Anthony Morrow!!!!! i hope this kid keeps up what hes doing to help out my warriors
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:01 pm
xbay wrote:A second round I pick I really like is Luc Mbah a Moute. The man is a beast. His FG percentage is UGLY, but he's rebounding and playing defense real well.

and he's a Prince!

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:12 pm
Thank you NBA League Pass.... I am fortunate enough to watch a lot of these rookies every night. Here are my seven, in PARTICULAR ORDER:

1- Rose - Lighting quick, every night he brings it, and is capable of clutch shots at the end of game. Not one can stay in front of him, as seen in the GSW game. I like him a lot, can work on defense a little more, and a suspect 3 pt shooter. These areas can be taught.

2- Jason Thompson - Maybe Nelly was setting up other teams or MAYBE he is just that good. Guy is a beast in my opinion. Excellent feel of the low post game, and understands the game from a basketball standpoint. High BBALL IQ...

3- Beasley - Joe Smith CLONE.... Its not a bad thing but that is what you get....

4- OJ Mayo - Better pro than college. Understands the game and has a Dwayne Wade type game. I think he should be a PG rather than a SG but he is at worst Larry Hughes but at best, Wade.... I like his game

5- Oden - I consider him to be a rookie and I am VERY impress with his defense. Game speed is something he needs to work on. I watched several games and he is lasting longer and longer without getting winded. He will inevitably start and play 25-30 a game. Defensively he gets it. He protects the middle and alters ALOT of shots. Rebounding is also very easy for him, understand positioning, and he is def a #1 pick.

6 - Rudy - He might be a finish product but so what. Everyone says he is fearless and I see why. Plays D, he should probably start on any other team. Love watching him play the game.

7 - Javale McGee - DONT MISTAKE HIM FOR POB.. Guy is much more active and aggressive. Excellent pick up for Wizards. I think he would of been a perfect compliment to AB... Blocks shots, puts backs, and plays LONG....

Return to NBA Forum