Important Time.......Coming Soon.

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

What Do You Think About Sf's Return? How Are you Going To Act?

I Couldnt Care Less, Let Him Believe What He Wants.
3
15%
I Dont Think His Comments Were That Bad, So He Should Be Allowed Back Without Trouble.
0
No votes
I Agree With What He Said.
0
No votes
I Dont Like What He Said But I Wont Say Anything To Him About It
6
30%
Im Going To Get Militant On His Ass.
11
55%
 
Total votes : 20

User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1787
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Where Da Wild Things R
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:18 pm
I just don't see the problem with having a resident racist on the board. Its not like there arent racists in society, why not allow one into the fold here? I realize the mods want to keep this place as anti-drama as possible, but sfx3 might keep the board interesting lol. Let him spew his hatred or as he may call it, his "opinion", and we can continue to respond the way we always do, with logic and sound reasoning. If he truly is a ignorant racist then there is no way he can even stand his own in an argument without looking like a complete fool..

Let him back for humor purposes if anything...
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3610
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:16 pm
for some reason... im very interested in resuming the discussion that happened in the " what song are you bumpin" :|
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 7512
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:44 pm
Location: Brighton, England.
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:21 pm
speakonitgod wrote:I just don't see the problem with having a resident racist on the board. Its not like there arent racists in society, why not allow one into the fold here? I realize the mods want to keep this place as anti-drama as possible, but sfx3 might keep the board interesting lol. Let him spew his hatred or as he may call it, his "opinion", and we can continue to respond the way we always do, with logic and sound reasoning. If he truly is a ignorant racist then there is no way he can even stand his own in an argument without looking like a complete fool..

Let him back for humor purposes if anything...


Dude............you know I love you..............but come on!

Racism IS everywhere, as you say......... but in a place where you CAN actually control it and hinder those who want to say it/think it.............then why would you not take that opportunity to excercise some control, for once, over the worthless c*nts???

The reason I dont want him back is because HE WONT say anything like he said before............he will come back as normal, and act as nothing happend.

As such, new members and those who chose to forget will not remember that they are actually conversing with a complete racist, and someone that they wouldnt even p*ss on if he was on fire.

I for one, wouldnt be able to stomach seeing him, carrying on as normal and all the people I like and respect talking to him like he isnt a complete waste of typing strokes.

Thats just me, and my moral stance.............the mods/Hobbes will reach their decision based on whats good for the board, I will accept that............but wont like it, and I wont abide it.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1787
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Where Da Wild Things R
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:25 pm
bigstrads wrote:
speakonitgod wrote:I just don't see the problem with having a resident racist on the board. Its not like there arent racists in society, why not allow one into the fold here? I realize the mods want to keep this place as anti-drama as possible, but sfx3 might keep the board interesting lol. Let him spew his hatred or as he may call it, his "opinion", and we can continue to respond the way we always do, with logic and sound reasoning. If he truly is a ignorant racist then there is no way he can even stand his own in an argument without looking like a complete fool..

Let him back for humor purposes if anything...


Dude............you know I love you..............but come on!

Racism IS everywhere, as you say......... but in a place where you CAN actually control it and hinder those who want to say it/think it.............then why would you not take that opportunity to excercise some control, for once, over the worthless c*nts???

The reason I dont want him back is because HE WONT say anything like he said before............he will come back as normal, and act as nothing happend.

As such, new members and those who chose to forget will not remember that they are actually conversing with a complete racist, and someone that they wouldnt even p*ss on if he was on fire.

I for one, wouldnt be able to stomach seeing him, carrying on as normal and all the people I like and respect talking to him like he isnt a complete waste of typing strokes.

Thats just me, and my moral stance.............the mods/Hobbes will reach their decision based on whats good for the board, I will accept that............but wont like it, and I wont abide it.


I admire ur enthusiasm and trust me I know where you're coming from, I've experienced more racism than the average American. But regardless of all that, sf is what, 12 years old? He's just a kid, lets see if he has anything to say when he comes back from time out...
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:52 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:36 pm
xbay id be kind of interested to hear your input
Go Ham
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3610
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:19 am
webelieve wrote:xbay id be kind of interested to hear your input


me too
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1787
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Where Da Wild Things R
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:22 am
8th ave wrote:
webelieve wrote:xbay id be kind of interested to hear your input


me too


me three
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 7512
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:44 pm
Location: Brighton, England.
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:13 am
speakonitgod wrote:I admire ur enthusiasm and trust me I know where you're coming from, I've experienced more racism than the average American. But regardless of all that, sf is what, 12 years old? He's just a kid, lets see if he has anything to say when he comes back from time out...


He should be 17 now I think, definately 16..........big difference.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:11 pm
My take...he should be allowed back, but banned for life if he violates Hobbes' rules of conduct one more time. Since I missed the thread in which the racist bile was spewed, I have only read his posts where he has seemed pretty reasonable, but I was made aware of what he said in that thread and it was really offensive.

Btw, I obviously agree that racist comments are utterly unacceptable. However, we don't seem to get as worked up over sexist or homophobic comments. I see no difference, and wonder if, because we are a virtually all male and (presumably) straight group of posters in a sports forum, we just don't care? It appears pretty inconsistent to me. Can someone explain the difference between a racist and sexist slur to me? Just curious...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 7512
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:44 pm
Location: Brighton, England.
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:32 pm
coltraning wrote:My take...he should be allowed back, but banned for life if he violates Hobbes' rules of conduct one more time. Since I missed the thread in which the racist bile was spewed, I have only read his posts where he has seemed pretty reasonable, but I was made aware of what he said in that thread and it was really offensive.

Btw, I obviously agree that racist comments are utterly unacceptable. However, we don't seem to get as worked up over sexist or homophobic comments. I see no difference, and wonder if, because we are a virtually all male and (presumably) straight group of posters in a sports forum, we just don't care? It appears pretty inconsistent to me. Can someone explain the difference between a racist and sexist slur to me? Just curious...


I wont comment about your stance on the Sf situation.

On the rest, let me just say that Im not expecting to convince you of anything here Colt, you know I respect you immensely but I fully expect to be shot down here and most of what I say labelled as "contradictory" and "double standards"..........ohh well, here goes =

The sexist and homophobic stuff...........well to me, the big difference is that those kind of comments will be in a playful manner, where the person whos saying them can clearly be seen to be joking and just having a laugh.

Also, they are not said in a hateful sense.........no-one says "Ohh I hate gays, they are disgusting" if they do then they get warned/banned appropriately.

What Sf said, and what any other racist views here contained, was hate and real discrimination............where as things said about women and gay people (as far as Ive seen) have basically been people messing about but clearly not really meaning it.

And its not double standards, I personally believe the above but if I actually thought that anyone really meant a sexist/homophobic view, then I would say so and not be happy about it.

Also, sexism and homophobia havnt caused the deaths and kind of discrimation that people who are victims of racism have..........so theres that difference, and extra seriousness attatched to it.

Ps: The mods have warned and banned people over homophobic comments before (like that guy who kept calling Fitz gay) and others who voiced anti-semetic views have also been punished...........so I dont think there has been any treating racist views more harshly than others, when they are put in the same was as Sf saying "Black and Mexican people are scum" "They have ruined this country" "Hitler was a great man and I would have voted for him" "I wish I didnt have to be around "these" people" etc etc etc, how can they not be taken more serious than other comments.
Last edited by bigstrads on Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Moderator
Posts: 5311
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:39 pm
coltraning wrote:My take...he should be allowed back, but banned for life if he violates Hobbes' rules of conduct one more time. Since I missed the thread in which the racist bile was spewed, I have only read his posts where he has seemed pretty reasonable, but I was made aware of what he said in that thread and it was really offensive.

Btw, I obviously agree that racist comments are utterly unacceptable. However, we don't seem to get as worked up over sexist or homophobic comments. I see no difference, and wonder if, because we are a virtually all male and (presumably) straight group of posters in a sports forum, we just don't care? It appears pretty inconsistent to me. Can someone explain the difference between a racist and sexist slur to me? Just curious...


I agree Coltraining completely with your assessment of two lopsidedness between the inconsistency of racial slurs and sexual/sexist ones, especially in American Society.

However, i cannot comment of the extremity of how SFx3 presented his rant(s) on the matter, as i missed that conversation entirely. I do think (based on what numerous members have informed me on the situation) that the presentation of these comments are different then the ones being presented about in a sexist or homophobic way. For example, the nagging on bigs being "gay". I assume bigs knows its all one joke, as well as the persons playing along with it. Same thing goes with the remarks on Capt. Jack, as she is one of very few woman on the board(if not the only one), she gets remarks too, but again the matter is done in a joking matter.

One thing on this, which i think you would agree with me coltraining, there is a fine line on what could be a joke to what can be offensive. I would assume that if someone crosses that line, or does feel offended in any matter, they would PM a person and explain to them how they felt about it. And of course if that doesnt always solve it, there always the Mods.

So in summary, I do think everyone is aware that racial slurs are just as offensive as ones depicting hate or offense on sexual orientation and gender, but the key difference between SFx3 and the others was the matter that they were depicted. Does this make sense? I tend to confuse people on my writing.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2334
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:33 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:57 pm
My take is, if he behaves himself then he can come back. Really guys, he is entitled to his opinion, no matter how wrong we think it is. We are no better than him if we can't tolerate a difference of opinion. If you don't like him, don't talk to him and that's that.

As long as he follows the rules of the forum then there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to not let him participate. However racist comments shouldn't be tolerated and are violations of the rules.
Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 7512
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:44 pm
Location: Brighton, England.
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:04 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:My take is, if he behaves himself then he can come back. Really guys, he is entitled to his opinion, no matter how wrong we think it is. We are no better than him if we can't tolerate a difference of opinion. If you don't like him, don't talk to him and that's that.

As long as he follows the rules of the forum then there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to not let him participate. However racist comments shouldn't be tolerated and are violations of the rules.


So in this day and age, we just allow racism to be seen as an "opinion"...........that isnt going to get us anywhere Im affraid, its not an opinion, its wrong...........theres no debate to it and people who spew such bile should be made example of.

Everyone keeps talking about him being allowed back and only banned fully if he violates the rules again...............well, hes violate the rules already...........if he was a new member, there would be no discussion about it, hed be gone............so just because he isnt new, does that give him lenieancy to BE racist, and get a second chance???...........Im sorry but it doesnt.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2334
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:33 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:09 pm
bigstrads wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:My take is, if he behaves himself then he can come back. Really guys, he is entitled to his opinion, no matter how wrong we think it is. We are no better than him if we can't tolerate a difference of opinion. If you don't like him, don't talk to him and that's that.

As long as he follows the rules of the forum then there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to not let him participate. However racist comments shouldn't be tolerated and are violations of the rules.


So in this day and age, we just allow racism to be seen as an "opinion"...........that isnt going to get us anywhere Im affraid, its not an opinion, its wrong...........theres no debate to it and people who spew such bile should be made example of.

Everyone keeps talking about him being allowed back and only banned fully if he violates the rules again...............well, hes violate the rules already...........if he was a new member, there would be no discussion about it, hed be gone............so just because he isnt new, does that give him lenieancy to BE racist, and get a second chance???...........Im sorry but it doesnt.


Bigs racism is a difference of opinion. I think it's wrong, but I also think owning guns is wrong and I know there are plenty of people who disagree with me. It is not our place on an internet message board to try and fix the world.

As for the second part, he's a kid who is a product of his upbringing and culture, if he's willing to come back and behave like an adult then I don't see why he shouldn't get a second chance.
Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:28 pm
The reason he was suspended was because he didn't take back his racist views and said no apology about it. Bada is of Jewish decent, and although he's not one of those extremely religious Jews, the fact that sf brought up Hitler's views as acceptable ones was extremely intolerable. And the fact he didn't take it back was another.

If he's going to come back, he better apologize for his actions. If you all actually saw and witnessed what happened between Bada and Bigs in a talk with sf in the chat, you'd understand.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron