The Tampa Bay Choke Artists Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:46 am
Hey, no love for TMC's team? :mrgreen:

Well, after seeing 3 of this board's favored teams by specific members have threads, why not the Bucs?

I'm going to be honest, I've been a Bucs fan since 2001. They're like my second team. It's a weird trend because I know many 49ers fans that are Bucs fans as well. Well, on to the discussion...

How about them Bucs? I know you haven't been watching, yet TMC, but they're looking good on defense. Inconsistent on offense at times. Running game is there with Graham and Dunn. Props to the Bucs for keeping the run game going without one of my favorite FB's of all time in Alstott. Passing offense is iffy, though.

Antonio Bryant is looking more and more like a great pick up. His attitude was not welcomed by Mike Nolan, so he was released. Now, he's turning into a clutch play threat from the highlights and stats he puts up.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:50 am
Haha... I always knew you were a closet Bucs fan, XBay. Thanks anyway for creating this thread. I thought about doing it once, but I though I was gonna be the only one posting.

I don't have much time right now, but I'll post again later to give my thoughts on the Bucs season (what I've been able to follow, at least).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:47 am
Ok, let's talk some Bucs football. I'd love to do a mid-season positional report like you did for the Niners, XBay, but without having watched a full game, it would be pretty presumptuous of me to try to do so.

On to some Bucs news, then. Cadillac Williams might be back as soon as next game. We have a bye this week, so it's a good time for him to try to get up to speed.

Graham injured his knee against the Chiefs, and Dunn has been playing through back issues the last few games, so having Caddy back can be a big boost to our running game. That's IF (with capital letters) Caddy is back to some kind of playing shape, because the rehab has been kept under wraps, so nobody really knows if he's able to play right now.

Personally, I think we'll be lucky if he can help come playoff time, but with Bennet in Gruden's doghouse (Clifton Smith is our 3rd back on the depth chart right now) and our two key guys injured, the team would welcome Caddy back with open arms.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:56 pm
Caddy's had trouble staying healthy for the past years ever since he was first injured. That's unfortunate. He's a good back, too, when healthy.

What's up with the TE situation? Lots of different options: Stevens, Smith, etc. I've seen a different TE name putting up a score each week.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:07 pm
xbay wrote:What's up with the TE situation? Lots of different options: Stevens, Smith, etc. I've seen a different TE name putting up a score each week.

Well, we basically don't have a clear starter at TE. Alex Smith has great hands, but poor blocking skills, Gilmore is exactly the opposite and Stevens has it all... except a brain.

So Gruden uses all of them in different game situations. Usually, it's gotta be Alex or Jerramy on goal line situations, tho. Gilmore scored a TD early on this season, but he's a bit of a liability as a passing threat.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:10 am
Ahh, I see. Sounds a lot like Vernon and Delanie. Vernon is a terrific blocker while Delanie has solid hands.

BTW, is Gruden's job still on the line? I mean, I heard last year that his job was on the line if they didn't make the playoffs. They did so he was safe.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:23 am
xbay wrote:BTW, is Gruden's job still on the line? I mean, I heard last year that his job was on the line if they didn't make the playoffs. They did so he was safe.

I don't think so. Quite the opposite, in fact. Gruden has done a wonderful coaching job the last two years. Previous to that, let's say he "outcoached himself", trying to do too much and confusing the players more than helping. But his last two seasons have been pretty good.

Also, it has helped that we've added a few playmakers to our aging D in the last couple of drats, so the offense doesn't have to carry the team.

With that said, there's a rumor that the University of Tennessee (the Vols) are willing to pay him $5 million per year to be their new HC, but I certainly doubt that will happen. He doesn't look like the kind of guy that goes mid-season like Petrino did.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:31 pm
TMC wrote:
xbay wrote:BTW, is Gruden's job still on the line? I mean, I heard last year that his job was on the line if they didn't make the playoffs. They did so he was safe.

I don't think so. Quite the opposite, in fact. Gruden has done a wonderful coaching job the last two years. Previous to that, let's say he "outcoached himself", trying to do too much and confusing the players more than helping. But his last two seasons have been pretty good.

Also, it has helped that we've added a few playmakers to our aging D in the last couple of drats, so the offense doesn't have to carry the team.

With that said, there's a rumor that the University of Tennessee (the Vols) are willing to pay him $5 million per year to be their new HC, but I certainly doubt that will happen. He doesn't look like the kind of guy that goes mid-season like Petrino did.

If he was going to become the Vols new head coach, it'd probably be next season. Doubt he'd do that to Tampa. He's an offensive mind, though, so I'd expect some upgrades with the weapons so the defense doesn't have to carry them so much.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:50 am
A few notes on our bye week by the St. Pete's Bucs beat writer:

1.- The team is already considering who to cut so Caddy can come back. He's been practicing all week and seems like they're gonna give him a chance sooner than later, considering how banged up Warrick and Earnest are.

Between the names in risk of being cut if Caddy is activated, there are a few surprises: Dexter Jackson (our second round WR this year, who's having an awful season, demoted from his return man duties and struggling mightily to learn the offense), Josh Johnson (our 5th round QB who won't play for us anytime soon) or even putting BJ Askew on the IR, thus ending his season.

Personally, I think he's forgetting about a prime candidate to be cut, and that's none other than Michael Bennet, who's on Gruden's doghouse for a while and is currently 4th on our depth chart at RB. I doubt Johnson will be cut, as the team has high hopes for him and have been carrying him on the active roster for the whole season. And Askew is among the best blockers at FB in the NFL. I don't think he'll be put in IR, as he's gonna be a big boost to our running game in the playoffs, if he comes back healthy by then.

As for Jackson, he's been playing so bad that I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut, but I think Bennet should go first, considering how many injuries we have at WR.

2.- Michael Clayton can be back?. That's what Gruden says, that Clayton is in his best shape since he's rookie season, both physically and mentally, and his role will increase in the second half of the season.

I'll believe it when I see it. Seems like we read this kind of stories year after year, so I'm gonna keep my hopes down.

3.- The bye week couldn't come at a better time, with Dunn, Graham, Askew, Alex Smith, Arron Sears and Jermaine Phillips being injured. And those are only the starters.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:22 pm
God, the Vikings right side of their o-line is terrible. It's been 4 sacks already, all on that side.

On other news, after losing Earnest to another knee injury in his first touch and having lost more yards on penalties than we have gained on the ground, we ain't doing too bad. But we still suck on the red zone.

Oh, and Ray Edwards is a cheap shot artist.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:45 pm
And you pulled it out, somehow. Good win, much needed after the Panthers, Saints won while the Falcons dropped one.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:18 am
xbay wrote:And you pulled it out, somehow. Good win, much needed after the Panthers, Saints won while the Falcons dropped one.

Basically, the D won the game for us, getting to Frerotte with ease and, somewhat, limiting AP's performance.

That and Jerramy Steven's big game (84 yards, with some key catches) gave us the chance we needed to score. Although the game would have been over by the 3rd quarter if we had been able to score half of our red zone chances.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:38 am
Yeah, stopping AP, somehow, was huge. He was basically, the Vikings only source of offense in the second half. They have a favorable match up this week as they face the Lions, so this win was big.

Hopefully, they don't blow it. The Lions have been playing better lately, somehow. But it doesn't change the fact they're 0-10. Although, they did test the Panthers.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:34 am
xbay wrote:Yeah, stopping AP, somehow, was huge. He was basically, the Vikings only source of offense in the second half. They have a favorable match up this week as they face the Lions, so this win was big.

Hopefully, they don't blow it. The Lions have been playing better lately, somehow. But it doesn't change the fact they're 0-10. Although, they did test the Panthers.

The only problem will be our running game. Graham's knee injury is a big concern, considering that Dunn ain't totally healthy and Clifton Smith... well, he did alright for a 4th string RB, I guess.

Seems like Caddy might be active next week, tho. We'll need him. The Panthers won the game on the ground, and I guess we'll have to do the same.

Oh, and before I forget, John Lynch officially retires after nine pro bowls and a SB ring won with the Bucs. It was a shame he played his last few seasons for Denver, only because Bruce Allen thought he was done as a player. He should have been a Buc his whole career.

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:46 pm
I'm having a look at the brutal NFC... And i just think it's gonna be a hard road for the BUCS to make the playoffs. Destiny is in there own hands. But if they don't win there division then i don't see them slidiing into a NFC Wildcard spot just due to the fact that the Eagles, Redskins and Dallas are all still really competitive and they probably have the tie breakers considering they've played stonger teams.

NFC South had played AFC West remember... and that doesn't help there case :-P

What your thoughts TMC? Are you a playoff bound team.
Next

Return to Sports Board