How PTI ruined sports center

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:41 pm
ESPN has been selling out as of late. They just try to please the people that don't normally watch sports and are mildly interested, rather than appealing to hardcore fans of a specific or multiple sport(s). Obviously this must give them higher ratings, cuz they've stuck to that method over the last 3 or 4 years.
They repeat the top headlines over and over instead of giving you the full scope of today's sports news. Frustrating man. it's like buying a newspaper where the front page has been copied onto every other page so you just get the same shallow stuff over and over and over...

How did this come to be?
PTI was boss when it started back in 2001 or 2002, everybody loved their insightful, witty, and smart commentary about the days headlines (still great if you ask me). I know many people who tuned into ESPN just to watch them at 2:30. ESPN's ratings grew and then they said "hey! people would rather here pundits jabber about the top stories then report all the news! Lets make all of ESPN and ESPN2 like PTI".

Also like other news stations, they've become obsessed with "Pundittry". Have smart looking people tells us how we are supposed to feel about the news because we are too dumb to figure it out.

and then it started. Around the Horn, Cold Pizza, First Take, and most recently sportscenter, all just try to mimic the success of PTI.

Please don't get it twisted, I love PTI. But that doesn't mean it should be on all day. Some news just needs to be neutral and thorough. cut the bull, the pundits, just report everything that happened and STFU. Commentary is very interesting to listen to, however, it shouldn't be the foundation of a news organization.

Now a days they blow by the NBA so they can report on more popular shiit like Football or Baseball or occasionally NASCAR. talk about how the patriots are devastated by the loss of Tom "butt-chin" Brady (on a Wednesday). Remember when they were in love with Bret Farve over the summer? covering his plane ride to New York and shiit?

Warriors games and most NBA games need more coverage. Right now they either give you all back story (like the Carmelo Anthony 44pts for Obama story) and 20-30 secs of coverage, or they just show you highlights from the 4th quarter - like 1 play from the first half, two from the start of the 4th quarter and then a long clip on last play of the game.

maybe they should use that ComCasts OnDemand feature, and give you long highlights of everything. that way you can fast forward through the stuff you don't like!

If I had ESPN News channel I'd watch it. It shouldn't come to that though... why can't sportscenter just revert to it's old ways?
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:22 pm
good topic first off (for once... j/k)

Well, i think PTI ruined PTI. What i mean is that Michael Wilbon and Tony Korenhieser both had huge egos when the show started. And these 2 egos would clash on a daily basis, and brought you the best 30 minutes of TV. Then something happen. TV ratings grew, and both guys changed. There already huge egos grew even more. But instead of clashing it on each other, they resulted to laziness.

See before, both guys did their own homework, said what THEY wanted to talk about, and were in essence in charge of what they said. This was at a time when "stat boy" would often correct them for like 2 minutes, instead of the 30 seconds it is now It was genuine.

Now, ESPN producers have taken over the show. But u can't blame ESPN, blame Tony and Mike. They use the exact same topics of ATH, and the passion from both man are gone. They both act like there too good for the show. ESPN pays them more now then ever, and they do less work. PLUS, they both miss a significant amount of time all the time.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:44 pm
Well first off PTI and ATH use the same topics because they're produced by the same people and filmed at the same studio.

In my own opinion, I can see where you think PTI has lost a step. They do this crap at the Monday Night Football stadium just because Tony is on it now.

Tony takes too much time off now too. I know he's had health issues, and I understand he has like three jobs. But it's not an official PTI week unless Dan LeBatard, Bob Ryan, or JA Adande fill in for Tony. I don't mind any of them, but nothing is the same as Michael Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser.

And also, not that it really matters, its not often we see both Tony and Mike in the DC studio at the same time. Mike is either in Arizona or doing some work for ESPN elsewhere. And Tony always takes like 3 days to get back to DC from MNF if its a west coast game since he doesn't fly. So he's via satellite from like St. Louis or someplace.

But other than those mild drawbacks, I still enjoy PTI as much as I did when it first came out.

I love all the segments they do. Tony Reali is a good third wheel. And I'm not one of those people who hates LeBatard.

I also like the candid cut ins they do during commercial breaks that they've been doing for about a month now. I've always thought ESPN should air a behind the scenes special for ATH and PTI simulcasted on ESPN 2.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:46 pm
I don't like Tony, anymore. Dude is clueless these days and his commentary during MNF is pretty bad.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:18 am
i do remember when this first came out... and both michael and tony would go at it more... more screaming... more intensity and so on. Now it just seems like there are in a rush to get to the next topic and end the show. But this is one show i still do watch. ATH is so-so i'll watch it from time to time just to get different perspectives on certain topics and issues. But for sure i do agree that ESPN should cover more on games and not do like 10-20 second highlights of each game. Headlines will be recycled every what 30 min? Just recycle headlines that need to be if there are any major changes in the story.. if not just let it be. Just let the bottom line deal with headlines. and the actual show showing more action that occurs during games
THATS OUR FUTURE RIGHT THERE
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:23 pm
As of late??? Are you ****ing kidding me? ESPN has been shitty since Olberman left
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 32
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:37 pm
And what the **** is JONATHON COACHMAN doing there as a presenter.

He's a ****ing old WWE Wrestling commentator.

ESPN lost all credibility with me when i saw that. :agrue:
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:38 am
watching "jim rome is burning" makes me love PTI...
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Return to NBA Forum