A's Get Holliday

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:28 pm
The Oakland A's have just made a trade to get Matt Holliday for Greg Smith, Huston Street, and Carlos Gonzalez. As an A's fan i love the move based on who we had to give up to get a player like Holliday. Even though i think Gonzalez will be a STAR in the league in the future i still love the deal.

However it is also being reported that this might just part of another deal Beane has in mind. They say hes only getting Holliday to trade for a few other prospects that he wants, but couldn't get with the players he already had. Either way im happy we got rid of Street and either got better prospects, or a stud outfielder!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:20 pm
Street has struggled ever for couple years now. I haven't seen much of Greg Smith, but I doubt he'll be nothing more than a solid bull pen man/5th rotation starter. Gonzalez should be an all-star one day, but Holliday is the man of the deal. You guys got a good player. I'm glad we won't have to see him in the NL West, anymore.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:16 pm
YEAH!!!! I heard some guy in my class talking about this. I questioned him cuz it sounded so not Billy Beane, but he reassured me it was legit. And it is.

Lets hope my other team (the Giants) become active as well. We need the bay to rise, and baseball gives us the biggest hope of the Big 3 sports. Sharks are doing their job, but the NHL doesnt count.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:22 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:YEAH!!!! I heard some guy in my class talking about this. I questioned him cuz it sounded so not Billy Beane, but he reassured me it was legit. And it is.

Lets hope my other team (the Giants) become active as well. We need the bay to rise, and baseball gives us the biggest hope of the Big 3 sports. Sharks are doing their job, but the NHL doesnt count.

Screw you Pal, the NHL Counts!!!! hahaha

well, the Giants are barely starting to get some prospects in the organization, I hope they Sign an infielder with a big bat (I'm looking at you Mr. Teixeira) and keep bringing the young guys up. Posey, Gillespie,Sandoval,Frandsen,Burriss, Schierholtz.... and maybe Villalona can crack the AA or AAA roster. It'll be exciting.

On the other hand, great move for the A's. As much as I don't like them, Holliday is a freakin stud.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:27 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:YEAH!!!! I heard some guy in my class talking about this. I questioned him cuz it sounded so not Billy Beane, but he reassured me it was legit. And it is.

well, the Giants are barely starting to get some prospects in the organization, I hope they Sign an infielder with a big bat (I'm looking at you Mr. Teixeira) and keep bringing the young guys up. Posey, Gillespie,Sandoval,Frandsen,Burriss, Schierholtz.... and maybe Villalona can crack the AA or AAA roster. It'll be exciting.

On the other hand, great move for the A's. As much as I don't like them, Holliday is a freakin stud.

well i love hockey, and i wish the NHL actually got media attention as it deserves. It is a great sport.

The Giants have 0% chance getting Tex. The favorite has to be the Angels by far. What the giants need to do is trade on of their stud pitchers for an infielder. Not Tim Beasticom, but Cain? I think many teams would want a Matt Cain. If we get a legit infielder for him, I'm down.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:32 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:

well i love hockey, and i wish the NHL actually got media attention as it deserves. It is a great sport.

The Giants have 0% chance getting Tex. The favorite has to be the Angels by far. What the giants need to do is trade on of their stud pitchers for an infielder. Not Tim Beasticom, but Cain? I think many teams would want a Matt Cain. If we get a legit infielder for him, I'm down.

Weren't you one of the few who posted in my Sharks thread? that's cool i love hockey too.

From what i heard the Giants are in the top 4 in terms of players in the Texeira sweepstakes and that the Angels might bow out due to them chasing C.C. One thing I like that the Giants did, they put a high value on Cain. Sabean basically made him untouchable unless a mindblowing deal comes along. The sad part is, if Cain got traded, he stated that he loves being a Giant and he takes pride in it. Thats what we need

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:55 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:

Weren't you one of the few who posted in my Sharks thread? that's cool i love hockey too.

From what i heard the Giants are in the top 4 in terms of players in the Texeira sweepstakes and that the Angels might bow out due to them chasing C.C. One thing I like that the Giants did, they put a high value on Cain. Sabean basically made him untouchable unless a mindblowing deal comes along. The sad part is, if Cain got traded, he stated that he loves being a Giant and he takes pride in it. Thats what we need

wow matt cain said that... forget my trade then... if Cain has passion to stay in this organization, then by all means, we should keep him. I agree with you, we need all the hard work and dedication we can get.

The great part about the Giants, unlike my Warriors and Raiders as of late, is the fact they have a brilliant organization. I have never seen an organization find jobs for so many ex players after they been fired, and even when someone is well past their prime, still play them. The organization gives back to its players and fans, and isn't afraid to shell out money for a big name, whether it pans out or not (Zito).
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:23 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:

wow matt cain said that... forget my trade then... if Cain has passion to stay in this organization, then by all means, we should keep him. I agree with you, we need all the hard work and dedication we can get.

The great part about the Giants, unlike my Warriors and Raiders as of late, is the fact they have a brilliant organization. I have never seen an organization find jobs for so many ex players after they been fired, and even when someone is well past their prime, still play them. The organization gives back to its players and fans, and isn't afraid to shell out money for a big name, whether it pans out or not (Zito).

Yeah, the Giants have this sort of prestige out here that even though the A's have the Championships, they don't match. And the organization is obligated to maintain that prestigious image. I just can't wait until it is reflected on the field again.
Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:19 pm
Cant wait till they trade him before the deadline for 5 more prospects. Now thats a bright future right there billy beane is a miracle worker.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:30 pm
Quetzalcoatl wrote:Cant wait till they trade him before the deadline for 5 more prospects. Now thats a bright future right there billy beane is a miracle worker.

I doubt beane would trade holliday this season. I've never seen him do that. Maybe next year though.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:31 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:
Quetzalcoatl wrote:Cant wait till they trade him before the deadline for 5 more prospects. Now thats a bright future right there billy beane is a miracle worker.

I doubt beane would trade holliday this season. I've never seen him do that. Maybe next year though.

He is a free agent at the end of the year. I dont think Holliday sees one day in a A's uni. I think he gets traded within the month. If he does not get what he is looking for, then I could see it going to the deadline but no way did he trade some prospects for a one year rental when they are nowhere close to competing this year. Does not make sense.

The A's and Rangers have the most stocked farm system of arms. Rangers have young bats to go along with it but A's do not. The A's will get the wave of young pitchers ready for the bigs in about 2 years. I am assuming Beane will trade Holliday for a few top hitting prospects that will be ready about that same time.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:19 am
bada wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:

He is a free agent at the end of the year. I dont think Holliday sees one day in a A's uni. I think he gets traded within the month. If he does not get what he is looking for, then I could see it going to the deadline but no way did he trade some prospects for a one year rental when they are nowhere close to competing this year. Does not make sense.

The A's and Rangers have the most stocked farm system of arms. Rangers have young bats to go along with it but A's do not. The A's will get the wave of young pitchers ready for the bigs in about 2 years. I am assuming Beane will trade Holliday for a few top hitting prospects that will be ready about that same time.

yea thats true,but i was pretty pissed they traded Carlos Gonzalez for him he's the only one in the A's last season that looked promising (Bat-wise)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:24 am
Quetzalcoatl wrote:
bada wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:

yea thats true,but i was pretty pissed they traded Carlos Gonzalez for him he's the only one in the A's last season that looked promising (Bat-wise)

Yeah i got to see a couple games of Gonzalez when he was up in the Sacramento Rivercats (A's triple A affiliate). He was solid. I don't remember how he did when he got called up to Oakland.
Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:29 am
He bat 242 Avg with 4 HR and 26 RBI in 85Games, to me is pretty good for a rookie. Does anybody know if Emil Brown is returning to A's?
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:04 am
Quetzalcoatl wrote:He bat 242 Avg with 4 HR and 26 RBI in 85Games, to me is pretty good for a rookie. Does anybody know if Emil Brown is returning to A's?

Emil Brown will not be back. Gonzales will be a good player, but to get an impact player the magnitude of Holliday, you have to give up something. Who better than Holliday to open the new ballpark with? I know this never happens, but I think he may be in Oakland for the long haul. If this is not the case, I think Beane may be thinking if he puts up good #s in the first half, outside of Colorado it will tremendously increase his value. If you look at what he gave up, he got Holliday relatively on the cheap.

As of right now, the A's starting OF should be Holliday in LF, Raj Davis in CF and Ryan Sweeney in RF....lots of speed, if Davis is not starting then maybe Sweeney will be in CF and TRavis Buck will be in RF.
Next

Return to Sports Board