Al, Curry, Terry

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:11 pm
I hate Dallas like the next warrior fan but... I have always liked Jason Terry's play.

So I'm thinking since this Curry three way deal is in the news...

Golden State
In: Jason Terry (DAL)
out: Al Harrington (GSW), Marcus Williams (GSW)

New York
In: Al Harrington (GSW)
Out: Eddy Curry (NYK)

Dallas
In: Marcus Williams (GSW), Eddy Curry(NYK), Draft Pick (GSW)
Out: Jason Terry

Why you ask?
1. Al to NY - Dantoni loves run and gun style that Al can bring

2. Marcus Williams to Dallas - he works well with slow offenses, he'll fit right at home behind Jason Kid, again.

3. Dallas is a slow offensive team and they could probably get the most out of him. Curry is also twenty five years old, giving them much needed youth, and is actually an offensive threat unlike Dampier (just gets offensive rebounds and puts them back in) and Diop (no offense what so ever).

4. Jason Terry to GSW it's a long shot, maybe if we throw in a draft pick they'll bite. Dallas needs all the young players they can get (and we obviously don't).

5. Dirk is slowly on his way out, best to get someone who can play with him down low now, and keep him till Brandon Bass can properly fill Dirk's shoes at the PF. Cuban's dumb enough to accept over-paid players too (2nd in pay-roll only too new york), and they are trying to stay in the playoff race. Also, Dirk is known for being soft as a baby's ass, so adding curry would give them a tougher presence down low.

6. Terry is old at 31 but unlike Baron has been able to stay really healthy and really consistent his entire career. look at his stats

7. I know cuban likes to spend big money, but if he's going to resign Jason Kidd at the end of the year (who is still putting up good numbers I may add) there's no need for two starting PGs, esp since both are in their 30's. Give 'em our draft pick let'em draft a point guard and bring him up while jason kidd declines - seems like the logical move.

8. Diop is a glorified third string back-up. good at blocking shots, but c'mon, the guy is just tall, end of story. he should be their reserve, and Dampier, at 33, should be back-up.

9. Terry'd be a perfect fit for our system. Someone besides Jax that can shoot the three (we couldn't buy a three last night), a quick, scrappy player, not as much of a ball hog as Baron was, like Harrington he can take a bit of the offensive burden from time to time, good passer, proven floor general, and unlike jackson, doesn't lead the league in turn overs per game!

10. We can see how Wright does starting at PF. If he's just awful, that's what we spend next off season on. McDyess maybe? he can split the minutes with Wright. I do think we need a 2nd banger besides turiaf. Hopefully hendrix can fill that roll, but to be honest, I'd rather trade him maybe him and marco for an experienced vet that knows the speed of the nba game, and can defend well. Like a third string center that can back up Biedrins if Turiaf has to play PF.

11. Dallas has plenty of Shooting Guards. Jerry Stackhouse can fill terry's shoes. Terry's playing out of pos anyway.

-the only thing that can throw a wrench into the system is that Dallas just made a huge trade for Jason Kidd last year, so I'm not sure if they want to shake things up again.

-I know I posted this in my crazy Ideas thread, but I'm starting to think it might be possible. 4/6ths of the equation is already definite: GSW and Al want to seperate, NY wants Al, and Want to ship Curry, GSW want a guy like Terry. now it's just: does Dallas want Curry and want to part with Terry?
Last edited by first off on Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:21 pm
for some reason, i dont think that works.

besides...i wouldnt wanna do it. why would we wanna be tied to jason terry's huge contract for 4 years when we have monta coming back in about a month? what happens to terry then? give him over 9 million a year to play only 25 minutes and take away time from buike? too much tampering with the team goin on there. we need to find someone who will fit right in and has the ability to learn the system quickly. not go for a quick fix point guard to play while monta is hurt...cuz once monta comes back, everyone's time is affected.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:35 pm
AL, a Pick, and Williams for a FAKE point guard... No thanks!
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:43 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:AL, a Pick, and Williams for a FAKE point guard... No thanks!

Exactly...........beat me to it. :wink:
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:22 pm
for some reason, i dont think that works.

besides...i wouldnt wanna do it. why would we wanna be tied to jason terry's huge contract for 4 years when we have monta coming back in about a month? what happens to terry then? give him over 9 million a year to play only 25 minutes and take away time from buike? too much tampering with the team goin on there. we need to find someone who will fit right in and has the ability to learn the system quickly. not go for a quick fix point guard to play while monta is hurt...cuz once monta comes back, everyone's time is affected.

firstly - this is assuming you don't like Monta as point. I don't. I can't really see him commanding an offense the way baron, CJ or even Jax can. Just like Iverson can't play point I don't think monta can either. pass the ball to him and let him shoot.

- well yeah, there is still a problem having to many twos (monta, maggs and Jax) I'll admit that. However, we're missing a good opportunity if we pass this up.

-Another 3pt shooter besides Jax (who is streaky) would really help us out. Barons gone, Marco hasn't lived up to the hype, Morrow isn't ready for the NBA game, and we are losing Al. we need a 3pt shooter.

- Maggs and Jax would have to split time on the bench :( . we are not resigning Jax though, so it's just one more season like this (or a trade). If he bitches then trade him.

- If anyone can learn the system I'd think it'd be a vet PG like terry, so I don't get that part of your argument.

-yeah terry's contract seems huge, but were missing a starting player at either the 1 or 4 (or both) depending on what you believe, so any way you go about it, we're going to be shoveling out 7-9M a year for another player. Also, we have like the 2nd lowest payroll in the league, so I don't think we really have to worry about pinching pennies right now.

-I mean Hinrich is 10M for 4 years, Felton is on the last year of his 4M contract, David Lee is on the last year of his contract, Steve Blake is on the last year of his contract. Most PFs or PGs in the league either can't match Al's/Curry's salary, or just don't want to do business with us cause they are happy where they are. so where are all these cheap options?

-I don't want to get back a PG and PF. Curry is only worth either two awful players, or two players with a ton of hype but don't preform. just has bad news written all over it.

- If we are not getting a PG back, We're getting a PF that will again be putting Brandan Wright on the bench... So some talent is going to be on the bench any way we look at it.

Additionally, I believe Terry is actually worth 9M a year, unlike Harrington. out of all the candidates mentioned in the trades forum, he seems like the most reliable option. he's had 80 game seasons his last SIX YEARS and has basically put up the same stat numbers throughout.

It basically comes down to this - I'd rather get someone back who is worth their 9 Mill a year, even if it means they might be coming off the bench through the back half of the season. we have the cash for it.

Monta Ellis/ Kelenna Azubuike/ Marco Belinelli
Corey Maggette or Stephen Jackson/
Brandan Wright/Anthony Randolph/Hendrix
Andris Biedrins/Ronny Turiaf

Or if Monta Starts at PG

Monta / CJ / Nelson
Jax / Terry / Marco
Mags / Azu /
Wright / Randolph / Hendrix
AB / Turiaf

Azu's got enough bulk on him to back up the SF position. so it's just a question of small ball (terry + monta) or big ball (Monta + Jax).

AL, a Pick, and Williams for a FAKE point guard... No thanks!

how is he a FAKE PG I don't understand. he's one of the most consistent players in the league and the only reason his assist numbers dipped is because Kidd has the starting spot. can you please explain?
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:45 pm
He's a poor man's Moe Williams. Meaning his stats look good, but he doesn't benefit the team.

Who was the ONLY one that said the Moe Willams trade wont do **** for the Caviliers. ME! ( http://goldenstwarriors.com/viewtopic.php?t=7108 ) and Terry will do the same thing for the warriors. Just because he of pg size, and he has numbers, does not mean he can lead a professional basketball club. He's a small SG, and we got enough of those.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:58 pm
I don't mind Jason Terry but he is not the pure PG the team needs. I've just sat back and looked at the team and the roster and how it could actually fall into the right place. The way Azu is playing, he is a key contributor, playing like a starter as such. If BWright or Randolph or both can slot into the starting PF spot well, like they have the last two games, things look much better. All you need then is adequate passing from the PG and pretty good defense out on the court and the team could be much better than what they may have looked to start the season so far.

I still want Felton, if not him then Hinrich, but this has to happen quick and Harrington needs to go now so things can calm down

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:06 am
God, a trade that involves only players I can't stand... It's hard to envision a trade that damages all teams involved, but this one does a good job at that. :mrgreen:

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:16 am
first off wrote:
firstly - this is assuming you don't like Monta as point. I don't. I can't really see him commanding an offense the way baron, CJ or even Jax can. Just like Iverson can't play point I don't think monta can either. pass the ball to him and let him shoot.

same thing with terry..terry is actually more the way nelson used al last year: plant him on the 3 pt line and let him shoot. and it's not a matter of monta being able to run the point or not...it's a matter of who is gonna sit when monta comes back? monta will be in the starting lineup as well as beans. now if you have jason terry starting then you have maggs at 3 and jack at 4. this would probably work against one western conference playoff team...the mavericks, and only cuz jack will shut down dirk. i dont believe there should be anyway that maggs or jack starts the game sitting on the bench.

-Another 3pt shooter besides Jax (who is streaky) would really help us out. Barons gone, Marco hasn't lived up to the hype, Morrow isn't ready for the NBA game, and we are losing Al. we need a 3pt shooter.

jason terry is just as streaky from 3. if he's on, he's on...if he's off, he'll go 1 for 11.

- Maggs and Jax would have to split time on the bench :( . we are not resigning Jax though, so it's just one more season like this (or a trade). If he bitches then trade him.

whether we re-sign jax or not, terry would not be a long term answer...his contract goes 3 years beyond this year if im not mistaken, and the warriors shouldnt want to be committed to that kind of contract for someone who doesnt bring much to the table.

- If anyone can learn the system I'd think it'd be a vet PG like terry, so I don't get that part of your argument.

i think you're confused as to what our system is....its not just that up and down system anymore where any shot is a good shot and you can launch a 3 if its open. im sure you've watched most of the games this season and saw that the warriors are now passing up 3s (that they for damned sure would have taken last year) in order to get a closer, higher percentage shot whether it be by pass, driving, or simply stepping a step closer. that's not jason terry. jason terry would have to get used to that cuz when nellie coached him in dallas, he was under the nellie ball system that said shoot the 3 all you want as long as you make it. the new warriors mentality is TAKE IT TO THE HOLE.

-yeah terry's contract seems huge, but were missing a starting player at either the 1 or 4 (or both) depending on what you believe, so any way you go about it, we're going to be shoveling out 7-9M a year for another player. Also, we have like the 2nd lowest payroll in the league, so I don't think we really have to worry about pinching pennies right now.

2nd lowest payroll? not sure about that there, buddy. keep in mind we still have foyle's buyout on our payroll until this next summer. then we got 30 million going to monta, beans, and maggs alone. and im pretty sure we're pretty close to hitting that luxury tax threshold...im almost 100% certain we're over the cap. i still think we can do well with getting a serviceable backup big man so that we can start either wright or turiaf (preferably wright cuz turiaf is an energy master off the bench).

-I mean Hinrich is 10M for 4 years, Felton is on the last year of his 4M contract, David Lee is on the last year of his contract, Steve Blake is on the last year of his contract. Most PFs or PGs in the league either can't match Al's/Curry's salary, or just don't want to do business with us cause they are happy where they are. so where are all these cheap options?

correction: Hinrich's contract is at 10M for THIS YEAR, then each year it goes DOWN to 8M in the last year of his contract. so he would be cheaper than terry and give us more financial flexibility in the future than terry would.

-I don't want to get back a PG and PF. Curry is only worth either two awful players, or two players with a ton of hype but don't preform. just has bad news written all over it.

i never said i wanted curry. in fact, i remember saying that curry is the ONE person id never want to see near the warriors organization. so i dont know where you're going with that. and al is a talented player (despite what he's shown so far this season) and im sure a couple teams would love to have him. the only thing is, the warriors need to find the best deal, and a deal that would help the warriors...not just get rid of al because he wants to be traded.

- If we are not getting a PG back, We're getting a PF that will again be putting Brandan Wright on the bench... So some talent is going to be on the bench any way we look at it.

why does it have to be someone that puts brandan on the bench? why not two players? why not a wingman and a big man? if we could get a cheap wing that could hold it down til monta gets back and can easily be moved to the bench AND get a decent backup big man, then why not? harrington for Etan Thomas and Deshawn Stevenson come to mind (that deal would never happen, btw).

Additionally, I believe Terry is actually worth 9M a year, unlike Harrington. out of all the candidates mentioned in the trades forum, he seems like the most reliable option. he's had 80 game seasons his last SIX YEARS and has basically put up the same stat numbers throughout.

It basically comes down to this - I'd rather get someone back who is worth their 9 Mill a year, even if it means they might be coming off the bench through the back half of the season. we have the cash for it.

i would rather get someone back worth 9 million also...terry isnt that. terry is worth 6-7 million IMO. he's a 3pt shooter that can handle the ball. so in that regard, he's worth a lil more than kyle korver. at least al has a bunch of different ways of scoring other than shooting (i am NOT saying that al is worth 9 million, but simply that he is just like terry in his worth).

how is he a FAKE PG I don't understand. he's one of the most consistent players in the league and the only reason his assist numbers dipped is because Kidd has the starting spot. can you please explain?

his assist numbers dipped when he went to dallas and became shooting guard. once devin harris became the starting point guard terry's assists plunged as far as consistency. when kidd came around, terry's assist numbers were consistenly inconsistent. he averaged under 6 apg his whole career except for once. even iverson has averaged more assists than that and im sure you will agree with me when i say that he's not a real pg. jason terry is a shooter. that's what he has become, and he seems to be comfortable in that role.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:14 pm
you have shown me the light E-Man.... I suppose this isn't the best idea :(

I like the way terry plays but I guess he won't fit here :cry:
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two

Return to Trades