A Worrying Yet Accurate Team Report

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:05 am
I just read this team report from the yahoo Warriors page, I dont know who wrote it but it is spot on and makes me feel like to sh*t to be honest...............so I thought Id share the sh*t! :mrgreen: hey, what are friends and fellow suffering fans for huh? :wink:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... eam_report

General manager Chris Mullin probably wants to give Don Nelson a tongue-lashing right about now, but it’s hard to determine if the coach even knows the location of his boss’ office anymore.

After watching the Warriors run out of gas and fall two games short of the playoffs last season, Mullin called Nelson on the carpet and told him he’d have to coach differently in 2008-09. Like it or not, the NBA’s second-winningest coach of all-time would have to play his younger guys more, even if the short term had to be sacrificed a bit for the bigger picture.

Nelson nodded in approval but has yet to follow through this season. He’d burned his starters like last year and generally not gone more than eight deep before getting some garbage-time minutes for his ninth, 10th and 11th players in Monday’s blowout loss at Memphis.

What happened Monday to the Warriors was exactly what occurred to the team late last season. Playing for the third time in four days on the road and fourth time in six days overall, Nelson’s stars had nothing when facing an opponent against which usually even a little something has been good enough to register a win.

A trip to Mullin’s office might have been on Nelson’s to-do list Tuesday if not for the fact the club’s chief decision-maker of recent years clearly is losing his power. In fact, many believe Mullin won’t be back with the Warriors after his contract expires at season’s end.

Why? Because someone who had used financial restraint in recent years after a free-spending spree in his early days running the team’s basketball operations suddenly asked owner Chris Cohan to break the bank again last summer. He wanted to re-sign Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins and give Baron Davis a contract extension to prevent him from opting out of the final year of his contract.

After approving about $120 million to retain Ellis and Biedrins, team president Bob Rowell said no to a long-term Davis deal and effectively wrestled away much of Mullin’s power. Not coincidentally, when Nelson recently received a two-year contract extension, Mullin did not.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:41 am
That definitely is the most precise and honest team report I've read so far and as much as I love Nelly for being the mad scientist that he is but I'm starting to think it was a mistake giving him a contract extension and not giving one to Mullin. Yes, Nelson's smallball basketball makes the game exciting and makes the Dubs the most exciting non-championship contender to watch but, it doesn't get us any closer to a title. Plus, his bad habit of playing a short lineup isn't giving any of the young players a chance while we are in rebuilding mode.

Since its obvious we aren't going to get anywhere in the league in the next few years anyways, why not just buy Nelson a boatload of sunscreen and let him go at the end of the season so we can start rebuilding mode with a new coach that is willing to change the way we play basketball?
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:48 am
nice post bigs... but I am led to believe that mullin is no longer in the future of the warriors. Seriously Rowell and Cohan should be happy with what Mullin did... it is because of him that Cohan is getting all this money. I dont want to sound redundant but we already know what mullin did... bad contracts but made up for them. brought us BD,Jax,Harrington. HE brought us to the playoffs. He got the players... nelly ran the show.If mullin truly is gone... and the team keeps going in the direction its in, i will be scared for the future of this team. Rookies will hate being drafted by the warriors... i already know bandwagon fans are already jumping off. Not one warrior fan have i talked to has said anything positive. Last yr... we were all in the games during jacksons suspension. This year we just look horrible. that is a huge difference in itself.
THATS OUR FUTURE RIGHT THERE
All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:56 pm
What's Nelsons motive for not going deeper into the rotation?

He wants power. He wants Mullins job and he's sending a message to Mullin by not playing the bench.

Maybe...

He feels that we have a better chance of winning with a 7 man rotation. Plus, it's a long season and there is going to be plenty of time for our bench to get involved.

Either way, I don't like it.
Wish List

*New Owner and Management =D>
*Trade Monta
*Trade Maggette =D>
*Tank the season, get the top pick and draft Harrison Barnes
to be continued...

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:33 pm
Nellie didn't think we have this much trouble against teams!!! So he's playing the starter who have a better chance at winning the games...Once he's comfortable which he is not. The rookies will see their time in the games...

Nellie wants the fans to see that the W's are a quality team that can win...But if he keeps losing then his head will be on the line...

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:33 pm
You actually had good vibes about this team??? PLEASE!!! :)

Return to News Articles