Here We Go........Regular Season Game In Europe

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:44 pm
Ohh dear, its gonna happen guys and as much as it would be fun for me (well, I probably wouldnt bother unless I got incredibly lucky and it was our boys coming over here) its the start of bad things for the league and its players, IMO.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3639848

Stern is saying that ATLEAST 1 regular season game WILL be held in London before the 2012 Olympics.

I thinks its bad, players wont want to go, or will be all f*cked up from the trip............and if its one game, how unfair is it to the two teams to have to travel that far for one game, then all the way back..............whilst the rest of the league doesnt have too!!!

Bull sh*t evil marketing tosh..............god I hate this world.

What you guys think?

LONDON -- NBA commissioner David Stern said Sunday the league likely would play regular-season games in London before the British capital hosts the 2012 Olympics.

Stern, however, also said the possibility of taking meaningful games to Europe was nowhere near a done deal.

"Although we have no plans on the drawing board, it has been suggested to us that we should schedule in the next three years or so some regular-season games here -- more than just one -- on some regular basis," Stern said before the New Jersey Nets-Miami Heat preseason game at the O2 Arena. "It's fair to say that we'll see a minimum of one and possibly more regular-season games by 2012."

Stern sees the Olympics as a springboard to increasing the NBA's marketability in Britain, which is one of the richest countries in the world.

The NBA has a history of playing outside North America, including a regular-season game in Tokyo in 1991. But Stern has been hesitant to commit to anything specific in regards to Europe, while at the same time announcing a joint venture with Anschutz Entertainment Group on Sunday to build about a dozen or so NBA-style arenas in major Chinese cities.

China is one of the NBA's biggest overseas markets, and Beijing hosted the 2008 Olympics.

The NHL opened its season in London last year, and then did so again this season with games in Prague, Czech Republic, and Stockholm, Sweden. The NFL also played a regular-season game in London last year, and the New Orleans Saints are scheduled to face the San Diego Chargers on Oct. 26 at Wembley Stadium.

Stern said he was aware of the success the other leagues were having.

"We pretty much keep our own counsel with respect to our agenda, although we always watch what everyone does and if we see a good idea we unabashedly copy it," he said.

But despite sounding positive about playing regular-season games in London, Stern downplayed the chances of having an NBA All-Star game at the O2 Arena, which is hosting one of the four preseason games around Europe this year.

"It would take too many air buses and Boeing 747s to transport our 6,000 guests," Stern said. "We're in the basketball business, not the travel business.

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:47 pm
yeah that sucks...especially since its probably gonna end up happening the way baseball did, where they play the regular season game, then they come back and its still the preseason.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:28 pm
E-Man wrote:yeah that sucks...especially since its probably gonna end up happening the way baseball did, where they play the regular season game, then they come back and its still the preseason.

Really??? what happend there man?..............do you mean they played a regular season game, before the real season started, and the two teams that played started with either the win or the loss!!!

Thats insane...........although slightly better than travelling DURING the hectic season.............

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:03 pm
bigstrads wrote:
E-Man wrote:yeah that sucks...especially since its probably gonna end up happening the way baseball did, where they play the regular season game, then they come back and its still the preseason.

Really??? what happend there man?..............do you mean they played a regular season game, before the real season started, and the two teams that played started with either the win or the loss!!!

Thats insane...........although slightly better than travelling DURING the hectic season.............

the a's and red sox started the season over seas, in japan i think. they played a full series and then came back to the US with preseason games still going on and 3 weeks or so before the regular season finally started. basically it was stupid cuz people were still in preseason mode and then these two teams kick off the regular season in a sort of baseball tease. so they had 3-4 games on their record and go back to play a preseason game.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:21 pm
E-Man wrote:
bigstrads wrote:

the a's and red sox started the season over seas, in japan i think. they played a full series and then came back to the US with preseason games still going on and 3 weeks or so before the regular season finally started. basically it was stupid cuz people were still in preseason mode and then these two teams kick off the regular season in a sort of baseball tease. so they had 3-4 games on their record and go back to play a preseason game.

Nah, the A's/Sox played their season opener March 25 while the rest of the league started the last day of March/first day of April. So the regular season started only a few days after the A's/Red Sox opener in Japan.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:02 am
The NFL has had a couple of regular season games in London and nothing happened. I don't see a problem with it, actually. It might even help increase the popularity of the game in England.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:13 am
xbay wrote:
E-Man wrote:
bigstrads wrote:

Nah, the A's/Sox played their season opener March 25 while the rest of the league started the last day of March/first day of April. So the regular season started only a few days after the A's/Red Sox opener in Japan.

maybe it just seemed so much longer for me...cuz i swear it took so long for the season to start. either way if the NBA did it, itd be dumb to play one game in europe then come back. gives their next opponent a distinct advantage.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:13 am
TMC wrote:The NFL has had a couple of regular season games in London and nothing happened. I don't see a problem with it, actually. It might even help increase the popularity of the game in England.

with football its easier cuz they only play once a week.

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:10 am
TMC wrote:The NFL has had a couple of regular season games in London and nothing happened. I don't see a problem with it, actually. It might even help increase the popularity of the game in England.

Hey, Im all for increasing the popularity of basketball.............of course!!! you know something, I dont know ONE SINGLE PERSON WHO FOLLOWS THE NBA OVER HERE anymore...........none.

So of course I want that.

However, as E-Man says, NFL only plays once a week, whereas nba teams play what? on average 3-4 games a week? not healthy for them or fair when the rest of league doesnt have to travel across the Atlantic.

The only way you will increase the games popularity in another country is to have something relatable for the people of that country to look at and say "Hey, hes made it, hes English, this might be interesting or I want to support him" like Chinas explosion of interest after Yao, Spains hightened interest after Pau (although there was good stuff before him) and all the others.

Unfortunately, nothing has happend with Luol Deng or Ben Gordon, basketball is as un-popular as ever (when in theory it should be more popular than it was before)...........and then it comes to the back up plan, if having one of your own making it doesnt do the trick.

EXPOSURE!!! now I know your gonna say "Well, a fully competitive regular season game is good exposure"............but its not when that is basically the ONLY nba game your gonna see all year because no decent TV network shows any games/programmes, and if they do, it is at 3am ONCE A WEEK!

At the height of the nba's popularity over here in the mid-90's, there were 6 programmes a week =

Saturday morning magazine show (great time because kids would be able to watch and thats important)

Straight after that show, a 1 hour highlight pick from a single game.

A live game on a Sunday night.

A recorded full 2 hour game on Wednesday evening, around 6pm.

A live game on Thursday nights.

Then NBA Action on Friday about 6pm.

THAT! was how to do it.............but the ratings started to die and the TV contracts werent renewed, and its been downhill to this pit of crap ever since.

Playing ONE meaningful game here in the next 4 years is not going to do anything to change the fact that no-one cares about basketball over here...........yes the game will sell out..........but when they dont even put these pre-season games on TV!!! what does that say.

*EDIT* - Look how many empty seats there are for last nights "showpiece" game in London (loads in the first half, and even in the 4th you can see alot of empty seats) =

http://www.nba.com/video/games/nets/200 ... index.html
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:04 am
E-Man wrote:

with football its easier cuz they only play once a week.

Hey, the NBA has had games in Japan the last few years, and the schedule was adjusted so those teams only had to play each other on the first week of the season. It's not that hard.

Also, I think it's even worse with football. Keep in mind one of those teams is gonna lose one home game, and they don't have 41 games on their own turf, like NBA teams. Losing that court advantage is a much bigger problem for NFL teams.

As for the NBA exposure Bigs was talking about... that's a problem of the local networks. There's nothing the NBA can do to directly affect their willingness to buy the product, so trying to reach the fans in any other way it's a must. One of the few things the league can do is to schedule regular season games there, and it worked pretty well with japanese fans.

Return to NBA Forum