Kevin Love Interested in Warriors

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:30 am
My take on Love. I want him BTW, but there are a couple concerns.

Love is a below average defender. At least while at Minny. His personal foul calls are below average because he doesn't always play defense. Now, I still think he is an improvement over Lee. He is taller and can run just as well. Plus, with another star in the team, he doesn't have to worry so much to fouling out (like he did in minny). PLus, he is a top 5 rebounder in the league, so that really helps.

Love is interesting. He was Top 3 in Player Efficiency Rating (PER). However, if you break that down just to the fourth quarter, he is outside of the top 20. Love is an amazing #2 player on a team. By getting Love, he needs to know that this is Curry's team, and Love/Klay are the Sidekicks for this to even work. Still, having to guard him in the perimeter will give teams nightmares with Curry and Klay also on the floor.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:25 am
He made 190 threes this year. That's crazy. That's got to be some kind of record for a guy his height.

I love that he's got such great range, but it's interesting....he shoots close to 7 threes a game, and less than 12 twos....three point shooting is a huge part of his game. I'd actually prefer that he spend a little more time in the paint, to give the offense more of an inside-outside, 1-2 punch. If he comes to the Warriors I think that is what they'll do. Not that they won't have different sets...I think they'll use him many different ways.

The fact that defenders have to close out on him way out there will leave space in the middle for his teammates to get to the rim. God just thinking about it, one crisp pass on to the next...it would be a thing of beauty. Options galore.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:54 am
Interesting, Love certainly is a very good three point shooter and that makes him the best PF right now. He will have to be more of an inside scorer, but really, he just needs to be like he has been in Minnesota, because that is exactly what will fit in for us. It's his passing that will make the difference I think, as he will allow others on the team to be better players.

I really don't see a need for the team to be known as belonging to one certain player and I don't see who is better out of Curry and Love. Both are part of the team and both are superstars. Both have to be great offensively to offset their average defense and both do that.

Love would make the team better to the level of being a top 3 team in the West and able to win 60 games a season.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:56 am
migya wrote:Interesting, Love certainly is a very good three point shooter and that makes him the best PF right now. He will have to be more of an inside scorer, but really, he just needs to be like he has been in Minnesota, because that is exactly what will fit in for us. It's his passing that will make the difference I think, as he will allow others on the team to be better players.

I really don't see a need for the team to be known as belonging to one certain player and I don't see who is better out of Curry and Love. Both are part of the team and both are superstars. Both have to be great offensively to offset their average defense and both do that.

Love would make the team better to the level of being a top 3 team in the West and able to win 60 games a season.

Right now, Curry is largely considered the 3rd best player in the league. I think establishing team "ownership" is important from a leadership, and first-option when the game is on the line, standpoint. I get what you're saying, and I feel like it's an over-used cliché.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:51 pm
JREED wrote:
migya wrote:Interesting, Love certainly is a very good three point shooter and that makes him the best PF right now. He will have to be more of an inside scorer, but really, he just needs to be like he has been in Minnesota, because that is exactly what will fit in for us. It's his passing that will make the difference I think, as he will allow others on the team to be better players.

Right now, Curry is largely considered the 3rd best player in the league. I think establishing team "ownership" is important from a leadership, and first-option when the game is on the line, standpoint. I get what you're saying, and I feel like it's an over-used cliché.

I think Curry and Love could both be considered top 5 players. Sure, Curry was here first, so the team should be considered more his than anyone else but it really isn't important, the team concept is.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:37 pm
K LOVE baby!

--I landed on this website because of the Chat Sports iPhone app - http://bit.ly/1gUOeTA
Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:21 am
Both Curry and Love are team players. At the end of the game both are equal options in my opinion. It all depends on what match ups are presented in the given situation. Take what the defense gives you. If one draws a double team, which they both can, the other will be open. And if they both get double teamed, somebody will be all alone under the basket. That would be an offense that is tough to stop.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:56 am
An interesting take on Love and Carmelo, both stars that are almost certain to leave.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/basketball/bulls/27548796-579/plenty-to-like-about-kevin-love-but-carmelo-anthony-better-fit-for-bulls.html#.U39fQKyQD1m

Plenty to like about Kevin Love, but Carmelo Anthony better fit for Bulls
BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter May 19, 2014 9:14PM

The NBA is one game into the conference finals, and the Bulls continue to lead the league in splashy offseason rumors.

Minnesota Timberwolves big man Kevin Love reportedly has told the team that he won’t be signing a contract extension when his deal is up after next season and that the Bulls and Golden State Warriors would be ideal destinations if they want to trade him.

The fact the Bulls were mentioned is no surprise, especially considering Love’s longtime friendship with Derrick Rose.

So while Joakim Noah is busy trying to persuade Carmelo Anthony to opt out of his deal with the New York Knicks and join him in Chicago, it would seem the Bulls now have a Plan B.

The question is, which player would be a better fit?

FINANCIALLY

Love: He is signed through next season at $15.7 million and has a player option worth $16.7 million for 2015-16. Basically, Carlos Boozer money. The problem with Love, 25, is that he might want to play for his hometown Los Angeles Lakers when he becomes a free agent.

Bulls general manager Gar Forman and vice president of basketball operations John Paxson would have to get some sort of commitment from Love if they are going to dance with the Timberwolves in a trade. And that trade wouldn’t come cheaply.

Anthony: The only thing the Bulls need to know from Anthony, 29, is his asking price. The score-first, ask-questions-later forward has said he is tired of losing, but would he forfeit close to $7 million a year over the next four seasons for that alone? Anthony never has shown an unselfishness in his decision-making on or off the court, so this would be a first.

Best for the Bulls: Anthony, provided he would settle for $14 million a year to chase a legacy.

ON THE COURT

Love: Love would be the ideal kick-out target for Rose because of his ability to stretch the floor and would be interchangeable with Noah in the high-post game because of his ability to pass and play down low.

Anthony: He has a reputation as a ball-stopper. But Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau pointed out that when Anthony played with a talented roster as a member of Team USA, he showed he could be a playmaker when needed. Great scorers figure it out.

Best for the Bulls: Love is nice, but Anthony is lethal.

INTANGIBLES

Love: After playing in 81 games as a rookie, Love hasn’t been the most durable soldier. He has averaged only 56.6 games in the last five seasons and never has sniffed playoff basketball.

He has had some diva moments with the Timberwolves, but the friendship with Rose can’t be overlooked.

Anthony: He has seen his share of great playoff moments — in the first round. He already has had his big paydays and has insisted the last few months that it’s all about the ring. It’s time to test that.

Best for the Bulls: Love fits, but there are too many unknowns. The Bulls likely would have to part with Boozer and his expiring contract, at least one of their two first-round draft picks next month and the rights to power forward Nikola Mirotic to acquire him in a trade. Then what happens when he is eligible for free agency after next season?

Anthony, meanwhile, seems desperate to hold up the Larry O’Brien Trophy. That’s hard to overlook. If the price is right, get Anthony and get out of the way.

WINNER

Anthony.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't agree that Carmelo is better than Love but I do agree that he is a better fit for the Bulls. Chicago needs a scorer since they traded Deng and Carmelo is that, one of the best there is right now. Rose is also the kind of player that commands all the opposition's defensive attention but since he's practically missed the last two seasons, he may not be the same again and/or may miss more time in the coming seasons. Chicago actually needs a star player because they have done the best they can without one playing for them since Rose went out.

Carmelo is a better scorer than Love but that's all he is better at as far I can see. We need a player that makes others around him better and doesn't take away from them and that's Love, not Carmelo. If all goes well Chicago will get rid of Boozer and sign Carmelo, thus almost making it a sure thing that Love comes here and for the cheapest possible, as Minnesota will have their backs against the wall and be forced to trade him for what we offer to get anything for him at all.

I admit I called it, getting Love about two years ago and the scenario I thought would occur looks like it may indeed happen. We may have a championship contender very soon and finally all the years of losing will be a memory, especially if the team can win at least one championship.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:29 am
Anyone agree that the Dubs have the top chance of landing Love?
Bulls and Rockets present the toughest competition but I think a Lee and Barnes combo outdoes what they can offer and also if you consider D. Rose's injury history. Depends if the Twolves want to compete now or rebuild I guess.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:27 am
Lee and Barnes for Love is not a fair deal, especially how Barnes had a strangely ineffective season where he didn't improve. It's the fact that Love will leave in a year if Minnesota doesn't do as he asks that puts them in a total position of weakness. Other teams have been put in that position and have never got a fair deal but that's how it is.

I think if we take their unwanted contracts, namely KMartin and Mbah a Moute, along with Love, they'll be well off, having cap space in a couple of years. I think the players we give will be something like Lee, Barnes, Speights and JCrawford, maybe Ezeli replacing one of the last two, also a future 1st round pick, likely next year.

If Minnesota does play hard ball and/or another team is rumoured to have a better deal and Love likely being traded to them, I think the FO will give Lee and Iguodala, maybe Barnes as well, for Love, CBrewer, KMartin and Mbah a Moute.

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:30 pm
Ringo wrote:
Stairway Man wrote:
uptempo wrote:The Warriors should offer Lee and Bogut for Love, which would allow for us to jettison two "useless-in-the-playoffs" players for a star power forward.

Festus is much better suited for the spread the floor offense that Kerr is likely to install than Mr. MIA Bogut anyway.

In trades, the team which lands the star always wins. Let's see if Myers can pull this one off.

Go Warriors!

That's crazy talk. Why offer Bogut and Lee right off the bat when you can offer Lee and Barnes? Do you realize what you are saying? 2 useless in the playoffs players? The Warriors beat Denver in the playoffs last year mainly because of Bogut. Love on the other hand has never even played in the playoffs.

You said the team that lands the star always wins. Well first of all, Minnesota landed Love and they have never made the playoffs, and secondly, what about the time Denver traded away Iverson or Melo? They only got better and Detroit got worse when they got Iverson. You clearly are not making much sense here.

I agree Stairway Man.

I gotta say, I admit with the peanut gallery, uptempo. Have you forgotten Bogut's Russell-esque 1st round against Denver? I know Curry gets all the ink, but the Warriors don't win that series without Andrew Bogut. Plus, Kerr has mentioned he'll run a triangle-like offense and great passing bigs like Bogut & Lee THRIVE with the spacing created by the triangle.

But in regards to the topic: I've said it for 3 years, you CANNOT clown an offer for Kevin Love. It will take Klay Thompson, plus David Lee, and likely Harrison Barnes, with us taking back Barrea's contract (which isn't the worst thing in the world, considering we're desperate for a backup PG), plus another bench player (Turiaf or Brewer, depending on where Myers wants to add depth).

Don't believe me?

Boston will offer Avery Bradley, Jeff Green, Jared Sullinger, and 2 first round picks (they have like 5 first rounders in 3 years). That's WAY more attractive thst DLee, Harrison Barnes, and garbage.

Hell, it's probably better than our offer with Klay.

If Boston puts Bradley AND Green in a package with 2 of their top picks, we've got next to no shot. It would take a 3rd team and a huge miracle for us to get enough expendable assets to beat that deal.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:24 pm
You forget the biggest factor 32, Love has said he wants to go to a winning team and Boston certainly is far from that, especially after such a trade for Love. Out of the teams that have been listed in getting Love, us and the Bulls are the only playoff teams and only ones that are built to contend once getting Love.

What I've read is that Rubio has said he will likely leave if Love goes because he wants to start winning and hasn't made the playoffs yet in his nba career and he used to win alot when playing in Spain. Flip Saunders needs to keep Rubio happy as well otherwise the TWolves are back to being one of the worst teams, which they were early in Love's career. They want to transition from Love without becoming a bad team and they can only do that by getting established players, not with draft picks, even lottery ones, because as we've seen in many drafts, picks are far from a sure thing, unless ofcourse it's Anthony Davis.

I think we're in the best position to get Love, because he'll just leave any other team that gets him, as he wants to win. That alone will scare off most teams from even offering anything. Just as history has shown us, stars never get back equal value, far from it usually. Like with Dwight traded from Orlando, Shaq from Lakers to Miami and the Barkley trades of old, from Philly to Phoenix and then Phoenix to Houston, the team trading the star got not equal value in return and also lost more games after the trade, usually because they did not get established players but more draft picks than anything else.

The FO should really play hard ball with the Minnesota FO and not offer any other starter besides Lee. A package of Lee, Barnes, Speights, JCrawford should do it but I'd be alright with adding our 2015 1st rounder. We'd get Love and two contracts they hate, KMartin and Budinger. Salaries workout and we get Love and they get four players that likely will all start for them next season, as they just don't have better players than that, besides maybe CBrewer who could start at SG. In a year, Lee is a big expirer that they can swing a trade for if they don't want him but the best move could be (and this actually applies to us if we don't make the trade and still keep Lee), to resign him after his current contract ends, as Lee could resign for half or less than what he's on now, to get a long term contract which he want get if he thinks he can get over 10 million a year for his next contract.

Minnesota is stuck, in the position of weakness and risk losing Love for nothing in a year. They can be happy getting an allstar from last season, two young players with alot of potential who just need to be in the right situation and one of the best backup bigs who scores and rebounds very well.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:44 am
32 wrote:
Ringo wrote:
Stairway Man wrote:
uptempo wrote:The Warriors should offer Lee and Bogut for Love, which would allow for us to jettison two "useless-in-the-playoffs" players for a star power forward.

Festus is much better suited for the spread the floor offense that Kerr is likely to install than Mr. MIA Bogut anyway.

In trades, the team which lands the star always wins. Let's see if Myers can pull this one off.

Go Warriors!

That's crazy talk. Why offer Bogut and Lee right off the bat when you can offer Lee and Barnes? Do you realize what you are saying? 2 useless in the playoffs players? The Warriors beat Denver in the playoffs last year mainly because of Bogut. Love on the other hand has never even played in the playoffs.

You said the team that lands the star always wins. Well first of all, Minnesota landed Love and they have never made the playoffs, and secondly, what about the time Denver traded away Iverson or Melo? They only got better and Detroit got worse when they got Iverson. You clearly are not making much sense here.

I agree Stairway Man.

I gotta say, I admit with the peanut gallery, uptempo. Have you forgotten Bogut's Russell-esque 1st round against Denver? I know Curry gets all the ink, but the Warriors don't win that series without Andrew Bogut. Plus, Kerr has mentioned he'll run a triangle-like offense and great passing bigs like Bogut & Lee THRIVE with the spacing created by the triangle.

But in regards to the topic: I've said it for 3 years, you CANNOT clown an offer for Kevin Love. It will take Klay Thompson, plus David Lee, and likely Harrison Barnes, with us taking back Barrea's contract (which isn't the worst thing in the world, considering we're desperate for a backup PG), plus another bench player (Turiaf or Brewer, depending on where Myers wants to add depth).

Don't believe me?

Boston will offer Avery Bradley, Jeff Green, Jared Sullinger, and 2 first round picks (they have like 5 first rounders in 3 years). That's WAY more attractive thst DLee, Harrison Barnes, and garbage.

Hell, it's probably better than our offer with Klay.

If Boston puts Bradley AND Green in a package with 2 of their top picks, we've got next to no shot. It would take a 3rd team and a huge miracle for us to get enough expendable assets to beat that deal.

32, the board misses your insights and analysis. Welcome back! Let's get after it with some hard-core Warrior talk...

Addition by subtraction: I refuse to look at the Denver series as a form of Bogus...err... 'Bogut-redemption.' I would rather see Festus starting with Love than see a weak-willed Bogus and a anemic David Lee who is afraid to go at a Griffin, Duncan, Aldridge, or a Durant in the Warriors starting lineup. Also, the Denver series was won because Lee was gone and Barnes stepped up, which has always been my main criticism of Coach Jackson. Yes, he was a great players' coach and a guy who got this team to play some serious defense; however, he coddled David Lee and retarded the progress of Barnes by continuing to start Lee at power forward when Barnes was the perfect stretch 4 power forward. The Warriors will be a much better team without the malinger and fragile-ego-ed Bogut/Lee duo.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:18 pm
I think malinger is a bit harsh. The dude played with a broken rib, when it snapped, he decided to not risk permanent injury. Other than that, he's had some injuries not common in basketball. I think he needs to reevaluate the way he plays, because I believe it's his over-aggressive play that leads to him constantly riding the bench.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:43 pm
JREED wrote:I think malinger is a bit harsh. The dude played with a broken rib, when it snapped, he decided to not risk permanent injury. Other than that, he's had some injuries not common in basketball. I think he needs to reevaluate the way he plays, because I believe it's his over-aggressive play that leads to him constantly riding the bench.

Bogut played most of last season, just got injured right before the playoffs. Bogut is still, to me at least, a top 5 Center, not by his numbers, but by his effect on the game and on his team mates. The only gripe I've got with Bogut is the low minutes he plays. If he is to be paid as much as he does and be the starting Center, he has to play at least over 30 minutes a game, should be 34-35 minutes. Defensively, they is none like Bogut among Centers, with his intelligent play. He doesn't block the most shots but there are few Centers that make the smart play like taking a charge. I think if the team got Love, Bogut would help him become a much better defender, maybe a top 10 PF defender, which would make Love a top 3 player.

Bogut is a keeper until a better Center is available. Lee is expendable for sure but there is also the option of keeping him another a year, then trading him as an expirer for a nice player or two or the option of keeping him until his contract ends, then signing him for half what he's on, which I think he'd take, that then would make him great value and much more of an attractive trade piece.

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball