Previewing The Warriors' Offseason Cap Situation

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:31 pm
http://basketball.realgm.com/blog/233295/Previewing-The-Warriors-Offseason-Cap-Situation

Previewing The Warriors' Offseason Cap Situation
By: Daniel Leroux
May 06, 2014 5:20 PM EDT

Now that the Golden State Warriors’ season is over, we can start to figure out what the offseason could hold in terms of on-court personnel. Having a clear understanding of the starting point for the summer makes a huge difference, especially given the NBA’s soft salary cap system.

The 2014-15 Salary Cap and Luxury Tax

While we will not know the exact lines until early July when the moratorium is lifted, the league informed franchises in mid-April that their projection is that the cap will be at $63.2 million and the luxury tax at $77 million for the 2014-15 season.

Golden State’s guaranteed (and near-guaranteed salaries)

Now that we know the number the Warriors have to work with, we should assess what they already have on the books for 2014-15.

In terms of guaranteed salary, Golden State has ten players on locked-in deals: Stephen Curry, Andrew Bogut, Andre Iguodala, David Lee, Klay Thompson, Harrison Barnes, Festus Ezeli, Marreese Speights (whose final year is a team option, as opposed to what some are saying), Nemanja Nedovic, and Ognjen Kuzmic, along with Draymond Green’s partially guaranteed $915,243 salary.

Their combined salary for those 11 players comes in at $61,429.008. That by itself nearly puts the Warriors over the salary cap. It should also be noted that moving slightly under the cap in terms of total salary makes no difference since exceptions like the Mid-Level actually count against a team’s cap number unless renounced. That means Golden State would have to make dramatic moves shedding major salaries to generate any usable cap space.

Other salary cap factors to consider

The Warriors have cap holds for Steve Blake, Jordan Crawford (a Restricted Free Agent) and Jermaine O’Neal. However, these do not have any effect unless the Warriors go far under the cap because holds only matter for the salary cap and make no difference in terms of the luxury tax. Jordan Crawford’s status as a Restricted Free Agent opens up some possibilities in terms of a sign-and-trade as well.

Additionally, the team still has a little time on one Trade Exception generated in the Andris Biedrins/Richard Jefferson deal last July with the Jazz. The remaining portion of the Richard Jefferson exception amounts to a little over $9.8 million and expires July 10th. That means the Warriors can use some or all of that to acquire players currently under contract. Interestingly, the Warriors can actually use that exception between now and July 10th as long as the other team’s season has concluded as well and none of the players involved will be free agents. That gives Bob Myers a little more time to make a larger improvement if desired.

The luxury tax

The new Collective Bargaining Agreement substantially changed the way that being in the luxury tax affects NBA teams. Teams above the apron ($4 million above the tax line) cannot acquire players via sign and trade, have a smaller Mid-Level exception, and cannot use the Bi-Annual exception (which the Warriors used last season on Jermaine O’Neal and thus do not have any way for 2014-15).

These restrictions illuminate what teams are choosing to do earlier on because using any of these tools puts a hard cap on the team for the rest of the league year. For example, the Warriors acquiring Andre Iguodala via sign-and-trade last summer meant that they could not go over the luxury tax apron for any reason, even using the Trade Exception discussed earlier. This prevents franchises from playing games with the flexibility offered to below the tax teams and then moving over.

As such, we could end up having a solid idea of whether Joe Lacob intends to pay the luxury tax by the moves the Warriors make early on. If they use the larger Mid-Level or a sign and trade, the most they could go is in the tax but below the apron. Moves that do not violate the terms for taxpaying teams could indicate that the Warriors will go into the tax for the first time under this ownership group.

Summary

The Warriors will be over the cap for 2014-15 barring a shocking series of trades but have a choice to make when it comes to being over the luxury tax. If ownership is willing to go into the tax, they should use the trade exception remaining from the Utah deal before it expires July 10th and then build from there since it allows them to add another useful piece while keeping the Mid-Level to sign another player.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

That 9.8 million TE should be used and used well. First of all, a backup PG should be signed with the roughly remaining 1.8 million under the cap, either resigning Blake or going after another FA PG like Chalmers or my preferred Greivis Vasquez.

Then pickup the QO for JCrawford, not that he's worth 3.2 million, more like 1.5-2.0, but at least we have a backup SG then that has potential.

I'd rather make the following trade for Love first before anything to know what other positions need to be filled. For Love, give Lee, Barnes and Speights, throw in JCrawford, for Love and CBrewer. CBrewer replaces Barnes and adds proven defense and we get superstar Love.

Then use the 9.8 million TE to get either a resigned PGasol or Pierce. The MLE should be used to get the one the TE didn't.

The team would likely still be under the 77 million luxury tax and yet have the following lineup:

PG - Curry/(Vasquez, Chalmers, Blake or other FA PG/Nedovic
SG - Klay/Pierce/CBrewer
SF - Iguodala/DGreen/CBrewer
PF - Love/PGasol/DGreen
C - Bogut/PGasol/Ezeli/Kuzmic

Add SVG, championship roster, best in the nba.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:56 pm
Love and Curry together would be superstar tandem that would lift us to one of the top teams in the league. to compete with the Heat, Thunder, Spurs and Clippers. Especially if we could surround them both with defensive players like Bogut, Iguodala and Green. I like Thompson and his game has improved every season so far but if we could get Love for Lee and Thompson, then I'd take that trade. Iggy could slot back into SG and Barnes or Green could play SF.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:02 am
I think the deal I said would be more than enough. Minnesota has holes everywhere and they will lose Love for nothing if they don't do a trade this offseason. Klay is young and should be kept next to Curry for a decade at least. I think Klay will only add to his game as well. He added defense and next I think passing will improve. In three years he could be close to the best SG there is.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:25 am
Good Post Migya. I mention a lot of your point guard situation on this post a couple days ago.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10676

My problem is that Chalmers would not accept a backup role. I can see him signed something cheaper for one year (for another team) in order to set himself up for another bigger contract (sort of like getting away from the shadows of Miami). I mentioned Patt Mills. He would be great with the Warriors (warriors need more 3 point shooting. Besides Curry and Thompson, they have none).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:16 am
I don't think Chalmers would start anywhere in the nba right now. Can't think of a team right now, but if it'd money he wants then yea, he will have to find a team where he'll start, have a couple of good years and then he'll get some money. If he wants more championships, he'll look to stay on a very good team and with us that's the situation. As for Patty Mills, I can see some time wanting him to start for them, one of the not so good teams at the moment, like New York, Milwaukee, Orlando and likely where he'll end up, Indiana. Otherwise he's a backup and he'd stay with the Spurs, especially with Parker now in his thirties and the team in a few years being handed over to Mills. Might be the smartest decision for him.

I would like G.Vasquez from Toronto, as he was great when he was in NO and even now gets the assists and plays well as a backup. Think he'd be cheap and would be ideal for us.

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:11 pm
Migya's has got to be the most unrealistic warrior fan alive.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:24 pm
Haha, yea, getting all that is a bit of a reach, but not impossible though, as a contender can attract great veterans.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:54 pm
Actually, getting all of those players IS impossible. Bc after you use the TPE, you will be over the luxury tax and you can no longer use exceptions to sign players. So, that means you lose the MLE. You oughta study the CBA just a bit more. Not even a lot. Just a little bit.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:55 pm
and holy fuk... you really would spend 9M on a bench player? Think about that for a second.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:31 pm
Think about what you said about "impossible to get hose players". For starters nothing is impossible in the nba, we've seen enough evidence of that throughout the years.

Love is on his way out of Minnesota, he has hinted that more than once. The Minnesota FO will be smart to trade him, so I'm not sure they'll see it and actually look for a trade :| The deal I stated is about the best they'll get as well, so the chance is high to do that.

Pierce and PGasol are veterans will want a chance at a championship. Both will take 5 million for a season to be backups here. Yea, that's rather expensive for backups but these are starting caliber players who at their best can still be allstar caliber. One of the could sign for the MLE and the other could resign with their current team with the agreement to be traded for about 5 million of the existing 9.8 million TE, that's what I had meant, not the full 9.8 million.

After signing a backup PG, which would be done as the first or second move, so either before or after the Love trade and before signing the two vets. The team will still be under the lux tax, being at about 74-75 million.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:38 pm
Also, just read this article:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/233335/Pau-Gasol-Prioritizes-Contenders-In-Free-Agency-Believes-Bulls-Could-Be-Interesting-Team

Pau Gasol Prioritizes Contenders In Free Agency, Believes Bulls Could Be 'Interesting Team'

Pau Gasol said he will prioritize title contenders as a free agent in July.

Gasol also praised potential landing spots such as the Memphis Grizzlies, Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Clippers.

Gasol reportedly viewed the Bulls as an "interesting team," with the return of Derrick Rose and potential addition of Nikola Mirotic.

“I’m not ruling anything out,” Gasol said. “Of course, I hope the Lakers will make an offer - one that is good enough for me to consider - but I’m open to any offers that I would consider interesting and motivating for my present and my future.

“The city of Memphis attracts me because it’s a city I know, there’s an opportunity of playing with my brother and they have a solid team."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

The team's FO obviously hasn't spoken to PGasol, but they should because the team is a great situation.

Looking at it, I think PGasol will go and play with his brother in Memphis.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:30 pm
Just read this little piece from Gortat: http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/11/23/5136574/marcin-gortat-washington-wizards-feature-2013

How important was Stan for you?

He was a godfather of my career. He basically taught me everything. He gave me the discipline, he told me the most important things in basketball. He taught me what to do, how to act and how to prepare yourself for the game. He taught me basically everything about the game, this guy is always going to be the guy that I'm going to always appreciate for everything he did for me. If one day he's going to be back in the league, I would like to play for him.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Gortat is a FA but maybe a sign and trade can be done where we send Lee, Barnes and Crawford for Gortat (at about 10 million), Otto Porter and either Webster or Booker.

Gortat isn't the scorer that Lee is but rather crafty himself offensively and is a better defender.

Return to Warriors Basketball