This is David Lee's team

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:25 am
migya wrote:I think after evening the series and taking it to the seventh game that the team has to use the small ball as much as possible. The speed and shooting is just too good having Curry, Klay, AI, DGreen and Lee out there together and the defense is good also. With Lee, the pick and roll is his bread and butter and because of his niftiness he can score well with either hand. I like what Lee brings offensively, but it has to take to his strengths, not post ups against DJordan which obviously doesn't work in his favour.

The team has shown they can beat the Clips and step up. We are far better defensively and if the shots start to fall well, we will win rather easily.

I agree with 80% of what you have posted!

Sit Lee down and replace him with Barnes and then this Warrior team can go to a real small ball lineup that can "out-quick" the Clippers! Again, it is not about Lee's talent; it is about his lack of commitment to playing defense that is inexcusable. A defender can never let his man beat him down the court in a transition situation; yet, Lee does this no matter who he is guarding (Griffin, DJordan, etc.)!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:02 pm
uptempo wrote:
migya wrote:I think after evening the series and taking it to the seventh game that the team has to use the small ball as much as possible. The speed and shooting is just too good having Curry, Klay, AI, DGreen and Lee out there together and the defense is good also. With Lee, the pick and roll is his bread and butter and because of his niftiness he can score well with either hand. I like what Lee brings offensively, but it has to take to his strengths, not post ups against DJordan which obviously doesn't work in his favour.

The team has shown they can beat the Clips and step up. We are far better defensively and if the shots start to fall well, we will win rather easily.

Sit Lee down and replace him with Barnes and then this Warrior team can go to a real small ball lineup that can "out-quick" the Clippers! Again, it is not about Lee's talent; it is about his lack of commitment to playing defense that is inexcusable. A defender can never let his man beat him down the court in a transition situation; yet, Lee does this no matter who he is guarding (Griffin, DJordan, etc.)!

Barnes has been short of awful this season and though he has improved in this series, he is a bench player to stay and certainly nothing to be compared with Lee. Lee has to have a fairly big game offensively for the team to win. The pick and roll has to be effective in this game when Lee is out there and the defense as well as the running has to be there as well.

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:03 am
migya wrote:
uptempo wrote:

I agree with your analysis, Migya; however, you are not addressing the biggest problem with Lee's game: He plays no defense and that is killing the Warriors. Defense is about desire and drive, both of which Lee is lacking when he half-heartedly

Barnes has been short of awful this season and though he has improved in this series, he is a bench player to stay and certainly nothing to be compared with Lee. Lee has to have a fairly big game offensively for the team to win. The pick and roll has to be effective in this game when Lee is out there and the defense as well as the running has to be there as well.

I agree with you, Migya; however, you are missing the most important part of what is being discussed on this thread: How David Lee is hurting this Warrior team with his half-hearted attempt at playing defense. Lee lacks the desire and drive required to play adequate (he is not even adequate or even marginal) defense. And, for this, he should be benched! Coach Jackson has to discipline Lee or else Lee's pi$$-poor attitude about defense will affect the whole team. Between Andrew Bogut (aka Andrew Bogus) hiding behind his "injury" and Lee's horrible defense, Jackson needs to make a stand to show his team that neither will be tolerated.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:02 am
uptempo wrote:
migya wrote:
uptempo wrote:

I agree with your analysis, Migya; however, you are not addressing the biggest problem with Lee's game: He plays no defense and that is killing the Warriors. Defense is about desire and drive, both of which Lee is lacking when he half-heartedly

I agree with you, Migya; however, you are missing the most important part of what is being discussed on this thread: How David Lee is hurting this Warrior team with his half-hearted attempt at playing defense. Lee lacks the desire and drive required to play adequate (he is not even adequate or even marginal) defense. And, for this, he should be benched! Coach Jackson has to discipline Lee or else Lee's pi$$-poor attitude about defense will affect the whole team. Between Andrew Bogut (aka Andrew Bogus) hiding behind his "injury" and Lee's horrible defense, Jackson needs to make a stand to show his team that neither will be tolerated.

MJackson has his job on the line and his aim is to win every game, which he has a better chance at doing with Lee playing. As for Lee's not good defense, same thing for Curry, so are we going to say that he should be bench too?

There are many players in the nba that don't play good defense, Lee is one of them, but Lee is worth much more than many of those players and is effective for us. He has to play and play well for the team not only to win this series, but to be a contender in the future.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:40 am
migya wrote:
uptempo wrote:
migya wrote:
uptempo wrote:

MJackson has his job on the line and his aim is to win every game, which he has a better chance at doing with Lee playing. As for Lee's not good defense, same thing for Curry, so are we going to say that he should be bench too?

There are many players in the nba that don't play good defense, Lee is one of them, but Lee is worth much more than many of those players and is effective for us. He has to play and play well for the team not only to win this series, but to be a contender in the future.

Curry, at least, gets back quickly on defense. Lee consistently allows himself to be beaten down the floor by whomever he is guarding. Whether it be 1-on-1 defense, rotation help, or protecting the basket, David Lee is a horrible defender, and much of this stems from his lack of hustle. I would love to see Lee prove me wrong; he is one of my favorite players to watch on offense; however, I highly doubt that this will ever happen.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:21 am
uptempo wrote:Between Andrew Bogut (aka Andrew Bogus) hiding behind his "injury" and Lee's horrible defense, Jackson needs to make a stand to show his team that neither will be tolerated.

Bogut isn't faking a fractured rib. I'm pretty sure he'd rather be involved in the playoffs.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:51 am
Ringo wrote:
uptempo wrote:Between Andrew Bogut (aka Andrew Bogus) hiding behind his "injury" and Lee's horrible defense, Jackson needs to make a stand to show his team that neither will be tolerated.

Bogut isn't faking a fractured rib. I'm pretty sure he'd rather be involved in the playoffs.

A few weeks ago on the Greg Papa and John Lund show a sports medicine orthopedist explained how if Bogut wanted to, he could expedite the healing of his rib so that he could have been ready to play by game 5 of this series through a medical procedure that many professional athletes use when trying to return from bone fractures. It sure sounded this doctor was very skeptical of Bogut even wanting to come back to play (very disturbing).

Also, how many times during this past season did Bogut miss games due to some minor ailment?

At least with Lee, horrible defender that he is, we know that he wants to play.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:53 pm
An orthopedist who actually viewed the X-Rays and examined Bogut? Because I find that highly unlikely.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:06 pm
I don't know about this other doctor you're referring to, but as I understand, Bogut's fractured rib is very close to the lung. If he came back too soon and re-injured it he could risk puncturing the lung. Perhaps if the Warriors win game 7 he may be able to play in the next series.

I don't understand where you get the idea that he does not want to play. Of course he wants to play. He just doesn't want to play injured. Playing injured should only be a last resort. You risk worsening the injury, or you are favoring it, and put too much stress on other parts of the body, leading to another injury.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:34 pm
"[Pay me for six days, but I will give you sunday for free.]"

Players like playing. They'd rather play than rehab. It's pretty asinine to say Bogut is avoiding playing.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:52 pm
Coming back when not ready is the worst thing Bogut could do. The team has played well without him anyway.

Role Player
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:05 am
I think Draymond Green's play in this series against the Clippers has shown us the future and signalled the end for David Lee and the Warriors. I'd expect him to be traded this offseason.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:26 am
I agree that DGreen's performance makes him definite starter material. I think the man is one of the most great stories in recent team history and hope he continues to develop into a great player. I do think that he is better suited to SF than PF, but can see why many would think PF. He also makes Barnes totally expendable, maybe even Iguodala a bit and what that allows is to definitely go for Love this offseason. Even offering Lee, Iguodala and Barnes for Love and KMartin could be a good deal. DGreen has allowed much future progress for the team.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:23 am
Hell they SHOULD trade David Lee after how he was UTILIZED (or lack thereof) this season. How many times in the playoffs did we actually see an iso in the post for him. He could've been taking D Jordan off the dribble all series. Agree, the silver lining of the series loss is D. Green showed he steps up in big games. Warriors have options, bring in Kevin Love and nothing less. all star / superstar PF or nothing.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:10 pm
rockyBeli wrote:Hell they SHOULD trade David Lee after how he was UTILIZED (or lack thereof) this season. How many times in the playoffs did we actually see an iso in the post for him. He could've been taking D Jordan off the dribble all series. Agree, the silver lining of the series loss is D. Green showed he steps up in big games. Warriors have options, bring in Kevin Love and nothing less. all star / superstar PF or nothing.

Rocky, DLee has a horrible offensive post game. DLee is devastating when he can face up his man and drive to the hoop. DLee can finish the fast break better than any other big man in the game. DLee moves incredibly well without the ball.

On defense, DLee is MIA. I blame him more than anyone for the series loss to the Clippers. How many times did we see DLee's man, whether it be Griffin or Jordan, have easy and not-contested dunks and layups with DLee just watching from behind? To play good defense requires desire and heart, two qualities that Lee is lacking. Green and O'Neal have it. DLee does not.

If the Warriors can package DLee and Bogut to bring in Kevin Love and if the team can sign Greg Monroe, we would see big improvement in the front court. Too often, we love to point out DLee's offensive capabilities; however, nobody seems to want to address what wins championships: defense. DLee is a horrible defender and it was obvious to all of us Warrior fans that he will never improve on the defensive end of the floor.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball