Fire Jackson? Who'd be new Head Coach?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:05 am
Tom Izzo was in the house for Game 3 Warriors vs Clippers..

Just throwing it out there but if Mark Jackson is relived of any duties.. We should offer this man a contract!

His been to more Final Fours appearances then any other NCAAMens coach I can think of. The epitome of post season hoops.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:15 am
Izzo isn't going anywhere. He was just watching a former player in Draymond Green.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:27 am
BTW the updated the title to also discuss whether the warriors should fire jackson.

Heres my take. Jackson is the worst coach in the NBA with player match ups, ignores analytics, and does not run set plays. He might be the greatest motivator and father figure out of all the coaches, but that will only take you so far. Remember Singletary 49er fans?

The media has been bashing Lacob and GSW Personnel about canning Mark Jackson. I think he needs to leave. His stubbornness and lack of change is what is killing me. Mlke Malone, Scalabrine, Darren Erman couldn't stand working for Jackson. Apparantly, Jackson couldn't either. The media seems to ignore/forget/not care that Mark Jackson applied for other open coaching positions each of the last 2 off seasons, only to be denied, meaning Jackson has always wanted out of Golden State.

This whole situation has gotten so messy, that the need to start over.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:50 pm
I used to be in favour of MJackson, as he has taken the team to two straight playoff appearances and one series victory already.

You said it right Crackers and brought up the relevant points why MJackson has to leave. The most disrespectful point regarding MJackson is the fact that he inquired about other coaching positions the last couple of years. Right there it is reason to get rid of him.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:46 am
Do we know these rumors about shopping for another coaching job to be true? Or are they just rumors? He denies it. I don't know any other reports of this, and some of them seem to have disappeared. Do we know they are actually true? It sounds like it could be something someone made up to make it easy to get rid of him.

Then again it would not surprise me. The NBA is like a fraternity of basketball brothers, and people talk in private all the time. And I know that Mark is from Brooklyn, and has a home in Santa Monica, so both the Nets and Clippers rumors would make sense. I guess you never really know about these things until somebody goes on the record, or something happens.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:40 pm
One other 49ers similarity...Harbaugh chose 49ers over Miami mainly because the roster had better talent. If there are any premier HCs out there after the playoffs you can bet that they would love to have this roster.

Mr. Crackerz wrote:BTW the updated the title to also discuss whether the warriors should fire jackson.

Heres my take. Jackson is the worst coach in the NBA with player match ups, ignores analytics, and does not run set plays. He might be the greatest motivator and father figure out of all the coaches, but that will only take you so far. Remember Singletary 49er fans?

The media has been bashing Lacob and GSW Personnel about canning Mark Jackson. I think he needs to leave. His stubbornness and lack of change is what is killing me. Mlke Malone, Scalabrine, Darren Erman couldn't stand working for Jackson. Apparantly, Jackson couldn't either. The media seems to ignore/forget/not care that Mark Jackson applied for other open coaching positions each of the last 2 off seasons, only to be denied, meaning Jackson has always wanted out of Golden State.

This whole situation has gotten so messy, that the need to start over.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:26 am
Good point Hummbabybear.

@J1000, these rumblings of Jackson looking for a new job didn't just come out. These rumors have been going on for a couple of seasons now. Apparently, Jackson wanted the Knicks job while Woodson was the intern coach. Ultimately, they gave the job to Woodson. Last season, Jackson was reportedly interested in moving to the Nets. Again, no luck for him. Earlier this year, Allen Houston and Sam Mills (the ones running the Knicks prior to Phil Jackson joining the team), were trying to pursued Jackson to come to the Knicks (this was just weeks before Phil was hired). Apparently, Lacob found out, and told him how he felt.

People think this is where the whole Scalebrine thing comes into play. Scalebrine might be the long-term coach in waiting, and Jackson might know it, therefore demoted him because he has the rights to do what he wants with his coaches. Now obviously, the last one is a conspiracy theory with little credibility and no source (just something someone wrote on the internet). But it makes you think, what if.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:25 pm
This is a rough league, the guy has helped the warriors improve every year he's been with us. A franchise that was pretty much horrible for the last 20 years, and were finally starting to build a winning program, and we want to fire the head coach? Is he perfect? No but he's also not the reason why we lost a handful of games we should have won, he wasn't the one throwing careless one hand passes. It would be unrealistic to think any coach could win a title with our roster as is, we are at least 2 or 3 solid bench players away from being able to really contend. And we hace to be healthy IMO. I think he deserves to have to opportunity to keep coaching a few more seasons, and see where we are then.
I have seen the 49ers win a Superbowl. I have now seen the Giants win a world series. I need one more championship in my lifetime to make my life complete...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:25 pm
MJackson has coached the team to winning more than in over twenty years, but it's the facts that Crackers stated that are the reasons why he should be sacked.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:36 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Good point Hummbabybear.

@J1000, these rumblings of Jackson looking for a new job didn't just come out. These rumors have been going on for a couple of seasons now. Apparently, Jackson wanted the Knicks job while Woodson was the intern coach. Ultimately, they gave the job to Woodson. Last season, Jackson was reportedly interested in moving to the Nets. Again, no luck for him. Earlier this year, Allen Houston and Sam Mills (the ones running the Knicks prior to Phil Jackson joining the team), were trying to pursued Jackson to come to the Knicks (this was just weeks before Phil was hired). Apparently, Lacob found out, and told him how he felt.

People think this is where the whole Scalebrine thing comes into play. Scalebrine might be the long-term coach in waiting, and Jackson might know it, therefore demoted him because he has the rights to do what he wants with his coaches. Now obviously, the last one is a conspiracy theory with little credibility and no source (just something someone wrote on the internet). But it makes you think, what if.

Well, if these rumors are true, and I guess we are assuming that they are.....right? Then it's a complex situation. I don't see how you just let him go. He's done a very good job. The team's been very successful to this point. And the players love playing for him. If you let him go and replace him, I think that really disrupts the team. I guess if you had a really great coach who wanted to come in.....but is there someone better out there? Cause I'm not seeing anyone.

With what he has done, I almost feel that at this point, you have to re-sign him, even if those rumors are true, and even if they lose this series. What they've done in the first six games of this series has shown me enough.

Unless they really think Scalabrine is the man, and is gonna be the man. I really don't know enough about him to comment, and obviously he has zero head coaching experience and only assistant experience. It does sound like they are hanging on to him because they want to use him in some capacity. I get the impression they have asked him to wait until after the season, where they reassess things, and he is waiting patiently to see if he is offered the job. It would certainly be a questionable move though.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:22 pm
ultimately, i think if Lacob is willing to forgive Jackson, and if Jackson is willing to stop using his job as leverage for something else, this could be a salvable situation. its going to take both men to check their egos out the door and do whats best.

If that can't happen, then fire Jackson. No point of continuing this charade any longer.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:50 pm
The way the players have spoken it will be a disaster to remove MJackson now.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:49 am
Great article on Mark Jackson:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... rk-jackson
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:25 pm
Thanks for the link Crackers. Great article, nicely written, objective and not opinionated like many others out there. I do agree that MJackson is gone and really, this article describes well why. MJackson is stringent with his beliefs on how things should be and that just doesn't fit in with the way the nba is. It is also true that the team is an attractive destination now so there should be much interest from many good coaches.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:31 pm
I heard an interview the other day during the Clipper series, don't know where to find it to post, but Lacob seemed to be backtracking a little. He said this thing with Jackson is more media hype and that everyone will be evaluated at the end of the season. I got the impression he was giving himself a lot of wiggle room. I think Jackson stays for one more year, his 4th and final contract year (and maybe a new contract depending on how next season goes) for a few reasons:

Who is out there to replace him?

The players, especially Curry and Thompson really like him and management does have to give this some consideration.

He has gotten them to the playoffs two years in a row, but the team has not been at full strength, i.e. healthy so Jackson cannot be totally blamed.

The team really needs one more player right now. For example (and I know this one is not possible) but think of someone like Zach Randolph with Memphis at the PF position. That would do a lot more wonders than a new HC at this time. I think they need to concentrate there efforts there.

Anyway, just my thoughts on this.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball