Path to the playoffs

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:58 am
Not much talk around here the last few weeks, I haven't been around here either much to be honest.

Wanted to create this thread to talk about the end of the season from here on out until the playoffs.

Looking at the schedules for certain teams that are positioned around us in the West, our schedule is quite good:
8 games left, 4 at home and 4 away.
Next game is at San Antonio, likely a loss and really should be a good way to play the bench players quite a bit and try a few different things.
After that, three straight home games against west teams that are not going to the playoffs and those are must wins, not like usual playing down to the opponent.
Then at Portland, in what could be a game that decides who finishes in 5th place, then at home against TWolves and then finish at Denver, which is usually quite tough.

Realistically, the team should only lose at San Antonio and at Portland, making it 6-2, but 5-3 could be good enough to at least stay in 6th.

The health of Lee and Bogut is very important and I'd rather have them rest until they are healthy or needed, which could be much sooner than what we'd rather.

I think the team will finish 6th and matchup with the Clippers, which would be a great matchup.

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:39 am
migya wrote:Not much talk around here the last few weeks, I haven't been around here either much to be honest.

Wanted to create this thread to talk about the end of the season from here on out until the playoffs.

Looking at the schedules for certain teams that are positioned around us in the West, our schedule is quite good:
8 games left, 4 at home and 4 away.
Next game is at San Antonio, likely a loss and really should be a good way to play the bench players quite a bit and try a few different things.
After that, three straight home games against west teams that are not going to the playoffs and those are must wins, not like usual playing down to the opponent.
Then at Portland, in what could be a game that decides who finishes in 5th place, then at home against TWolves and then finish at Denver, which is usually quite tough.

Realistically, the team should only lose at San Antonio and at Portland, making it 6-2, but 5-3 could be good enough to at least stay in 6th.

The health of Lee and Bogut is very important and I'd rather have them rest until they are healthy or needed, which could be much sooner than what we'd rather.

I think the team will finish 6th and matchup with the Clippers, which would be a great matchup.

I love your analysis. It makes much sense. I would posit that winning in San Antonio is as, or even more, important than the upcoming home-stand. The Warriors are going to have to win on the road because of their record and seeding going into the playoffs. Also, San Antonio has had Golden State's number this whole season (as well as in last year's playoffs). This Warrior team needs to go into San Antonio and demonstrate that this team, the Warriors, are peaking, and not the Spurs with their ridiculous winning streak. Tonight's game is a statement game for the Warriors, especially with both Bogut and Lee being injured. I am looking for Jordan Crawford and Harrison Barnes to both step up tonight with both having big games.

Go Warriors!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:45 am
In comparison to the other teams:

Dallas - 7 games left, 2 home/5 away. Next 4 are away starting with Clips and then against three west teams not going to the playoffs. Then home for 2 straight, against the Spurs and Suns. Finish off at Memphis.
That is very tough for Dallas and I'll say that they are out of the running as it looks. That team isn't well put together anyway and they overachieved doing as well as they did. Think Minnesota has better roster than them.

Phoenix - 8 games left, 3 home/5 away. Next three games are at home against Clips, away at Portland, then home against OKC. Then 3 straight away, against NO, Spurs and Mavs. Then at home against Grizz and finish at Kings.
That's also very tough, but I think they'll get the 8th seed, though somewhat limping towards the playoffs. Phoenix has done so well with their team this season and they are so young, likely they'll only get better over the next couple of seasons.

Memphis - 8 games left, 4 home/4 away. At Minnesota, at home against Denver, then at San Antonio. Then at home against Miami and Philly, talk about the best and worst of the East. Then at Lakers, then at Phoenix and finish home against Mavs.
Not that easy either for the Grizz, but they should win most of those games. They started the season rather awful with MGasol injured, but have come home as one of the best teams the last two months or so.

Portland - 6 games left, 4 home/2 away. At home for three games against Phoenix, NO and Kings. Then away at Utah, then at home against GSW and finish against Clips.
Seems like an easy finish for the Blazers, but they could lose some of those, namely their last two games. Likely they'll hold 5th spot though.

Houston - 9 games left, 4 home/5 away. Away at Toronto, then home against OKC and Denver. Then away against Laker, Denver and Minnesota. Then at home against NO and Spurs, then finish season at NO.
Looks fairly easy as well for the Rockets, but they could lose some here, not just the obvious tough ones against OKC and Spurs. Houston should hold 4th spot.

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:53 pm
I'd say that the Spurs game is winnable, not that I have any statistical or factual foundation for that belief other than I'm a firm believer in teams being due. I believe the Spurs are due for a loss, and the Warriors are due to finally get a victory in San Antonio.

I disagree with you uptempo that the Spurs game is the most important game remaining on our schedule. I think the Blazers game will be the biggest, and determine the 5th seed. Furthermore, I believe we win that game, securing a trip to Houston in the first round. That’s what my gut tells me anyways.

Looking at things pragmatically, we’ll drop at least one more game, so Portland needs to lose three. I believe those loses come from the Suns, Warriors, and Clippers. I’ve been saying all season, that the Blazers are pretenders. They had a week schedule early on, and when the schedule roughened up, they revealed who they really were; a shallow roster too dependent on two players, that were the beneficiaries of an easy schedule.

Currently, we are the only bottom 4-seeded team that none of the top 4 want to meet in a series.

Of course, all of this depends heavily on the health of our roster. If Bogut and Lee can come back in a reasonable timeframe, I like our chances. Otherwise, we’re going be lucky to finish any higher than the 8th seed, and not be bounced in the first round.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:51 pm
Some interesting results tonight.

Memphis loses at Minnesota, Houston loses at Toronto and Phoenix loses to Clips. We lose at San Antonio but that was a given.

Good results for us.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:27 am
Dallas beats Clips in LA. They stepped up and are definitely not gone.

Thunder beat Spurs to end there win streak at 19.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:53 pm
The Dubs gain a game with the embarrassment of the Kings and the Suns beating the Blazers. Only 1.5 back, more importantly only 1 more loss. Of course, it's going to take more than just a record tie, because the Blazers have a better division record and there's no way we can catch them there.

Blazers need to drop two more games, and we need to win out to get the 5th seed.

I feel like I'm the only one looking up in the standings, and not down. I'm really not worried about falling, but I believe getting the 5th seed is important.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:11 pm
The three teams behind us are very close, as close as Portland is in front of us. I want to make the playoffs first, hold on to 6th seed at least and I'm happy. Facing the Clips, who have some injury problems right now of their own, is not a bad matchup, though I'd rather Houston.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:20 pm
Its going to be a grind. The West is from 3-9 are all super competitive and close. But the Spurs and Thunders are playing better than everyone else right now. Would be shocked if those two didn't meet in the Western Conference Finals.

The warriors cannot beat the Spurs. I feel like we get out coached, outplayed when we meet them.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:48 pm
The team won again today, big blowout against Utah.

Besides the only good result of Memphis losing to the Spurs, Dallas just beat the Kings, Portland came back to beat NO and Phoenix upset OKC in Phoenix. Could have been better for us but still looks good, even to catch Portland.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:30 pm
Bad results for us tonight. Phoenix beat NO, coming back near the end. Memphis outdoing Miami and Portland hit a three at the end to beat the Kings in what could be a big shot to hold 5th place for them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:36 pm
We clinch with a win tonight. The Blazers last game is against the Clips, so if Houston can apply pressure to them, it could be competitive. I doubt that'll be the case, so they'll need to drop one of these games that they should win.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:33 am
Whelp, that's it for the 5th seed. Thanks Mark "Can-Call-A-Timeout" Jackson. Anyone else feeling like we have no chance to get to the Western Finals while this guy is our HC?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:52 pm
JREED wrote:Whelp, that's it for the 5th seed. Thanks Mark "Can-Call-A-Timeout" Jackson. Anyone else feeling like we have no chance to get to the Western Finals while this guy is our HC?

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Jackson outcoached George Karl in Round 1 last year, he orchestrated the mob hit on Christmas against LAC that took Blake Griffin out of the game amidst an MVP performance, and he's got his starting 5 putting up higher numbers than any other 5 in the league with comparable minutes.

Until Mark Jackson flat-out loses a game for us, I'm not calling for his head (even though I know that train's picking up steam... and, damn, does the media seem to love it). When Don Nelson, Mike Montgomery, Keith Smart, or Eric Mussleman were our coach, we'd have GAMES - not just plays or runs or quarters; entire games - where we could place the blame for the L squarely on their shoulders. I don't know that we can say that for Jackson yet. Sure, sometimes his substitution patterns seem maddening (certainly, everyone's tired of watching the B Squad flounder), but for the most part, Mark puts us in a good place to win the game... and at that point, I think it's more on the players than the coach. Mark Jackson isn't missing all the shots on the 2nd unit.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:37 pm
JREED wrote:Whelp, that's it for the 5th seed. Thanks Mark "Can-Call-A-Timeout" Jackson. Anyone else feeling like we have no chance to get to the Western Finals while this guy is our HC?

I'm not so sure, but as 32 said, I'll wait to see and it will be these playoffs that show where the team is and where MJackson is. In truth, the team has been real good the last two seasons with MJackson as HC so he is to be commended. The biggest thing with MJackson is the great defense that has instilled, something this franchise hasn't had before that I can recall and I've been a fan personally for about twenty five years. One can also say that the FO, likely Meyers is responsible, have put together a very good roster of players that fit well.

Then there's also the big question, who else is out there that can be a better HC than MJackson? I can't see anyone really right now.

Next

Return to Warriors Basketball