Warriors coach Mark Jackson forces reassignment of assistant

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:39 pm
It is amazing how the media has put Mark Jackson under such scrutiny. If Nelson was still coaching the team, the media would be kissing his a$$ for having the team on pace for its second playoff appearance in a row.

Like in business or any other professional organization; a coach, manager, executive, etc needs to have the authority to hire and fire his/her staff.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/warriors-c ... 42899.html

Written by: Adrian Wojnarowski

In what's become an increasingly dysfunctional atmosphere, Golden State Warriors coach Mark Jackson has forced a reassignment of assistant coach Brian Scalabrine, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Ownership and management have been strong advocates of Scalabrine and his performance on the job, sources told Yahoo Sports. Nevertheless, Warriors officials decided that as long as Jackson is the head coach, he'll have control of his coaching staff.

Ownership and management have been strong advocates of Brian Scalabrine and his performance. (USA TODAY Sports …
It is immediately unclear what kind of a role to which the Warriors will transition Scalabrine, but management has no intention of letting him leave the organization, sources said.
Over the past two years, Jackson's difficulty with managing his coaching staff and creating a functional work environment has developed into one of the issues that threatens his future on the job, league sources said.

Scalabrine, who joined the staff in July, was Jackson's choice as an assistant coach. For two straight years, Jackson has had issues with assistant coaches that he hired. Michael Malone and Jackson would go weeks without speaking to each other a year ago, league sources said. Malone left Golden State to become the head coach of the Sacramento Kings.

Jackson, in his third year at the helm of the Warriors, has one year left on his contract, but has come under increased scrutiny within the organization for how he has run the team and worked on the job. There have been no conversations about an extension for Jackson – nor are they expected to take place, sources said.

Jackson, 48, has tried and failed to get involved with several head-coaching openings over the past several months, including the Los Angeles Clippers and Brooklyn Nets, league sources said.

Scalabrine, 36, had an 11-year NBA playing career. He had been offered a chance to join Tom Thibodeau's coaching staff with the Chicago Bulls after finishing his playing career there in 2012, but elected to try broadcast media for a year. He had come to Jackson's staff highly recommended by Thibodeau.

Golden State is 44-27 and the sixth seed in the Western Conference.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:40 pm
If this source has any truth, MJack is not being treated that well by FO, whether warranted or not. Trying to get a head coaching job is showing something.

migya make the ring fall on ya

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:40 am
It will be interesting to see what happens to the coaching staff after this year. Supposidly Jackson is trying to find a "better" job, but he has denied looking for a different job. Jackson had issues with Malone last year as well. Sounds like a coach who doesn't want to be told wrong.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:10 pm
Sounds like a coach who is rather inexperienced and doesn't realise how to handle the situation with others working with him whose job is to try to help him.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:38 am
Spot on Migya...

CMJ will not be back next year, IMO.
This season is not a flop.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:53 am
Scal: "Dude, Coach, the other team has scored 9 consecutive points in 55 seconds maybe we should call time out to stop the momentum or change our strategy."

MJ: "Don't worry, I got this... we're still up by 11."

Scal (27 seconds later): "Um, Coach, the lead is down to 7."

MJ: "Pffffft...relax they'll work it out."

Scal: "When I played for Coach Popovich, he would call time out if the other team had one easy bucket...oh great, we're down by 2."

MJ: "Hey, Ginger, zip it...I can't put the starters back in until exactly 56.4 seconds from now...I have a formula."

Scal (raises hand): "Um, Coach, can we please call time out, now WE'RE losing by 11?"

MJ: "Alright, you want a time out? I'll grant you one...in Santa Cruz."
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:31 am
Yeah, I'm getting sick of this. I officially blame MJax for wasting a year with excellent talent; a year that we should be finals contenders.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:57 pm
Wait, so now we're vouching for Scalabrine over Jackson..??

The 4th assistant down the bench gets canned and now people are claiming Jackson had issues with Malone, Bogut, Lacob, his mother, etc... C'mon, people. Don't be prisoners of the moment. Did ANYONE hear beef between Malone and Jackson last year... or is this the media trying to turn a lukewarm story into a series they can market?

Mark Jackson and Brian Scalabrine had different philosophies on what was best for the team. Personally, I don't think Scalabrine is half the coach Jackson is... and if he was, why's he holding his coffee and clipboard with no head coaching gigs on the horizon?

This story is a herring meant to drum up controversy. Best thing a rationale fan could do would be to ignore it.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:44 pm
I agree with 32, MJackson should not be thrown out in this way. There is no indication that he is a major problem as he just got rid of one assistant, something that has happened before in the nba with HCs. The other assistant getting fired was unrelated to MJackson if I read it right.

We can't forget that thus far MJackson has what seems like a very good relationship with his players, probably the most important thing, and has the team winning and in the playoffs two seasons straight, the first time in over twenty years. The man needs to be some sort of major negative enough at least before he should be removed as HC.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:20 pm
32 wrote:Wait, so now we're vouching for Scalabrine over Jackson..??

The 4th assistant down the bench gets canned and now people are claiming Jackson had issues with Malone, Bogut, Lacob, his mother, etc... C'mon, people. Don't be prisoners of the moment. Did ANYONE hear beef between Malone and Jackson last year... or is this the media trying to turn a lukewarm story into a series they can market?

Mark Jackson and Brian Scalabrine had different philosophies on what was best for the team. Personally, I don't think Scalabrine is half the coach Jackson is... and if he was, why's he holding his coffee and clipboard with no head coaching gigs on the horizon?

This story is a herring meant to drum up controversy. Best thing a rationale fan could do would be to ignore it.

Nobody is asking for SCAL over MJ, LOL... that would be absurd. I contended coach is showing his inexperience by having a problem--apparently--with dissenting voices. MJ is not a horrible coach, but he is limited and flawed right now. Being the players best buddy is not a championship formula. After nearly two decades of horrible product, getting to the playoffs in consecutive years is nice, but I think many fans--and the owners--can see the way CMJ is running the team that its not going to bring a title to GS.

And if Wojo was correct in saying MJ was angling for "better" coaching gigs, then I'd can him too.

Return to Warriors Basketball