Does Bogut have a shot at Defensive Player of the Year?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:38 am
Warriors are statistically one of the best defensive teams in the league and Bogut has a lot to do with that. Of course Klay and Iggy have been excellent and Lee and Curry somewhat improved, but Bogut is having a pretty good year. Just think the way he changes games, protects the rim, and anchors the D, I can't think anyone in the league who's had as much impact on their team's defense than Bogut. Haven't checked the stats but would guess they're good. Thoughts?
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:05 pm
I would say that Roy Hibbert is the favourite. The Pacers have played better D and Hibbert is a big part of that. Bogut would need to play more minutes. We haven't used him much lately because the bench is playing so well.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:17 pm
If it's not Hibbert, it'll be George.

The Pacers are the best defensive team in the league and all the stats that show Bogut's value, Hibbert is better across the board (except rebounding and passing, which aren't particularly relevant defensive stats). Combined with him only going 29-30 minutes a night... And, yeah, I can't see it.

Doesn't mean he's any less valuable to us, but national accolades are unlikely.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:51 am
I'm sure you guys heard during the Clips game, that Bogut is leading the league in something like scoring per 100 processions. I'm not sure how much that plays a role in voting, but Barnet and Fitz sounded like it was a big deal.

I don't think it's as much of a wash in favor of Hibbert, in terms of actually how good he and Bogut are, but like everything in the NBA, popularity plays a role. So I think it'll be Hibbert even if Bogut deserves it more.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:29 pm
^ the stat was Defensive Rating, which tracks points against per 100 possessions.

And he literally JUST overtook Hibbert and George. He's been in 3rd place 95% of the season... so, of course, our PR hype team is gonna bring the stat to light amidst the single game where Bogut is in the lead. The Pacers have been slipping and the Warriors are surging, so Hibbert is now 4th, George is 3rd, and even Joakim Noah overtook the 2nd spot... but, yeah, he's still 9th in Defensive Win Shares, behind Hibbert, Noah, DeAndre Jordan, and Dwight Howard (among centers), so that gives you an idea of how much of the season Hibbert has dominated compared to Bogut.

Don't get me wrong; I totally agree that Bogut SHOULD be in the runnings for DPOY. I just don't see it happening.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:34 am
How about Iguodala? The man has dropped offensively but yet is #1 in the nba in +/-, with 8.7. He is still doing the defense this season.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:40 am
Yeah migs, I think that stat is particularly impressive given his lack of offense, so he's doing that on just D. With that said, I think the time he missed is going to be his biggest obstacle.

Return to Warriors Basketball