I hate to be negative but....

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:22 pm
They were the 6th seed last season and are currently a borderline playoff team clinging to the 8th spot. I think many people thought they'd improve and be in that 4th or 5th seed, keeping up with the other Western Conference teams. But that hasn't been the case. Whats going on this season?

They're a jump shooting team. They still don't have that one player that can attack the rim. I thought they'd be getting one when they signed Iguodala, but that hasn't been the case. I've watched plenty of Sixers' games and even remember watching him in Arizona and I don't remember seeing him shoot so many jumpers. Klay Thompson has almost become one-dimensional offensively and can do very little else but shoot the 3 pointer or 20 foot jumper. If his shots don't fall, he becomes a liability because he just won't stop shooting.

Some of it also has to go on Mark Jackson. Without Mike Malone, they're missing that basketball mind that comes up with plays. This season, it almost looks as if they're just playing street ball. No one is going to mistake Jackson for Doc Rivers, who scribbles plays furiously during time outs. Last season, during time outs, the team huddled around Malone who drew up the plays and then Jackson comes in and says "C'Mon Guys". He's the Mike Singletary coach of the NBA. He's also failing in the player development part of the job as well because Thompson and Barnes haven't improved or expanded their games. This is a talented team, probably more talented than the teams sitting in the 5th through 7th spots. If they don't advance much more this season, I don't see the Warriors picking up Jackson's option for next year.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:41 am
>They're a jump shooting team. They still don't have that one player that can attack the rim. I thought they'd be getting one when they signed Iguodala,

Top six in the league in points in the paint.

>Some of it also has to go on Mark Jackson. Without Mike Malone, they're missing that basketball mind that comes up with plays. This season, it almost looks as if they're just playing street ball.

Not really true. Mike Malone has already stated, while on the Kings that all the play calling has been Mark Jackson and he simply drew up what Jackson told him too.

We are the best defensive West team.

I am not going to cover everything you said, but it was all wrong in one way or another.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:44 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:They were the 6th seed last season and are currently a borderline playoff team clinging to the 8th spot. I think many people thought they'd improve and be in that 4th or 5th seed, keeping up with the other Western Conference teams. But that hasn't been the case. Whats going on this season?

They're a jump shooting team. They still don't have that one player that can attack the rim. I thought they'd be getting one when they signed Iguodala, but that hasn't been the case. I've watched plenty of Sixers' games and even remember watching him in Arizona and I don't remember seeing him shoot so many jumpers. Klay Thompson has almost become one-dimensional offensively and can do very little else but shoot the 3 pointer or 20 foot jumper. If his shots don't fall, he becomes a liability because he just won't stop shooting.

I really empathize with a lot of what you're saying, Bay.

It's REALLY worrisome to see this team completely abandon the David Lee post game in the hopes that Thompson or Curry's jumpers continue to stay automatic. I'd feel a lot easier if they switched up their looks on offense every once in a while. Nothing major; just your usual, run-of-the-mill low block feed (and, no, I'm not talking about Barnes or Thompson taking on a smaller guard... give the big guys some love, for Chrissakes). There's definitely nothing more infuriating than watching Klay Thompson continue to launch amidst a 3-for-13 night; I, personally, have had enough Nellieball for my lifetime.

To the team's credit, the West got even tougher and they're still in it with 27 games left. They're 2-0 after the all-star break. I think they realize they squandered a huge opportunity when the schedule got home-heavy. So long as they get into the dance, that's all that matters. Given 7 games against anybody, I like our chances.

BayAreaHoopz wrote:Some of it also has to go on Mark Jackson. Without Mike Malone, they're missing that basketball mind that comes up with plays. This season, it almost looks as if they're just playing street ball. No one is going to mistake Jackson for Doc Rivers, who scribbles plays furiously during time outs. Last season, during time outs, the team huddled around Malone who drew up the plays and then Jackson comes in and says "C'Mon Guys". He's the Mike Singletary coach of the NBA. He's also failing in the player development part of the job as well because Thompson and Barnes haven't improved or expanded their games. This is a talented team, probably more talented than the teams sitting in the 5th through 7th spots. If they don't advance much more this season, I don't see the Warriors picking up Jackson's option for next year.

I think you're overestimating Malone's value. Malone himself credited Jackson with creating and calling the plays; he merely drew up what Mark would tell him to draw. I dunno where this rumor about how integral Malone was came from, but it's definitely a falsehood.

And Jackson has handled the sheer amount of egos and talent on this team famously, all while transforming the defensive culture from doormat to best in the West. I'm pretty happy with the job he's done.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:40 pm
32 wrote:...It's REALLY worrisome to see this team completely abandon the David Lee post game in the hopes that Thompson or Curry's jumpers continue to stay automatic. I'd feel a lot easier if they switched up their looks on offense every once in a while. Nothing major; just your usual, run-of-the-mill low block feed (and, no, I'm not talking about Barnes or Thompson taking on a smaller guard... give the big guys some love, for Chrissakes). There's definitely nothing more infuriating than watching Klay Thompson continue to launch amidst a 3-for-13 night; I, personally, have had enough Nellieball for my lifetime.

Has the team really abandoned the David Lee post game, and would that be such a bad thing? If anything, I see David Lee as mediocre (at best) when on the block, but devastatingly effective when running the floor and finishing the break, on isolation plays at the elbow, and when rolling to the basket on the pick-and-roll.

32 wrote:To the team's credit, the West got even tougher and they're still in it with 27 games left. They're 2-0 after the all-star break. I think they realize they squandered a huge opportunity when the schedule got home-heavy. So long as they get into the dance, that's all that matters. Given 7 games against anybody, I like our chances.

I agree. Great observation.

32 wrote: I think you're overestimating Malone's value. Malone himself credited Jackson with creating and calling the plays; he merely drew up what Mark would tell him to draw. I dunno where this rumor about how integral Malone was came from, but it's definitely a falsehood.

And Jackson has handled the sheer amount of egos and talent on this team famously, all while transforming the defensive culture from doormat to best in the West. I'm pretty happy with the job he's done.

Agreed. The media (read: Ray Ratto) had played up Malone and implicitly downplayed Jackson's coaching abilities.

The team is now healthy (minus Festus (does anyone know when he is scheduled to return?)) and finally has a good second unit with Blake, Crawford, O'Neal, Barnes and Green that can play for extended minutes without any dropoff.

Let's see how this team plays for the final 20 games of the regular season and let's see how it does in the playoffs before criticizing the coaching staff, the front office, and the roster.
Last edited by uptempo on Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:47 pm
32 wrote:...It's REALLY worrisome to see this team completely abandon the David Lee post game in the hopes that Thompson or Curry's jumpers continue to stay automatic. I'd feel a lot easier if they switched up their looks on offense every once in a while. Nothing major; just your usual, run-of-the-mill low block feed (and, no, I'm not talking about Barnes or Thompson taking on a smaller guard... give the big guys some love, for Chrissakes). There's definitely nothing more infuriating than watching Klay Thompson continue to launch amidst a 3-for-13 night; I, personally, have had enough Nellieball for my lifetime.

Has the team really abandoned the David Lee post game, and would that be such a bad thing? If anything, I see David Lee as mediocre (at best) when on the block, but devastatingly effective when running the floor and finishing the break, on isolation plays at the elbow, and when rolling to the basket on the pick-and-roll.

32 wrote:To the team's credit, the West got even tougher and they're still in it with 27 games left. They're 2-0 after the all-star break. I think they realize they squandered a huge opportunity when the schedule got home-heavy. So long as they get into the dance, that's all that matters. Given 7 games against anybody, I like our chances.

I agree. Great observation.

32 wrote: I think you're overestimating Malone's value. Malone himself credited Jackson with creating and calling the plays; he merely drew up what Mark would tell him to draw. I dunno where this rumor about how integral Malone was came from, but it's definitely a falsehood.

Agreed. The media (read: Ray Ratto) had played up Malone and implicitly downplayed Jackson's coaching abilities.

The team is now healthy (minus Festus (does anyone know when he is scheduled to return?)) and finally has a good second unit with Blake, Crawford, O'Neal, Barnes and Green that can play for extended minutes without any dropoff.

Let's see how this team plays for the final 20 games of the regular season and let's see how it does in the playoffs before criticizing the coaching staff, the front office, and the roster.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:57 am
uptempo wrote:

IMO, DLee is the best low-block option you've got. His spinning hook off the glass is hit pet move from down low and he hits it with greater regularity than anyone else who plays back-to-the-basket. To abandon Lee in the low-post is to abandon the low-post game all together. I see no advantage in sacrificing high percentage plays for more jumpers.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:55 pm
32 wrote:
uptempo wrote:

IMO, DLee is the best low-block option you've got. His spinning hook off the glass is hit pet move from down low and he hits it with greater regularity than anyone else who plays back-to-the-basket. To abandon Lee in the low-post is to abandon the low-post game all together. I see no advantage in sacrificing high percentage plays for more jumpers.

Are you advocating that the team run half-court plays through David Lee on the low block? If he can command the double-team, then this makes a lot of sense (kickout to the team's sharp-shooters, dump off to slashers cutting to the basket, etc.). BTW, I would much rather see David Lee on the low block than Tim Hardaway (Don Nelson's interpretation of implementing a low block "threat" on offense).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:25 pm
uptempo wrote:
32 wrote:
uptempo wrote:

Are you advocating that the team run half-court plays through David Lee on the low block? If he can command the double-team, then this makes a lot of sense (kickout to the team's sharp-shooters, dump off to slashers cutting to the basket, etc.). BTW, I would much rather see David Lee on the low block than Tim Hardaway (Don Nelson's interpretation of implementing a low block "threat" on offense).

LOL, agreed on the Hardaway bit.

Regarding the rest, yeah I am. Last year, when Lee was an allstar, we ran pet plays for Lee on the block when he was going off for 20+ nightly. Barnes's on the weak corner, Ezeli cleared out and anticipating a board, Thompson & Curry running a triangle with Lee inside. It worked famously; Lee as our leading scorer warranted the greatest percentage of victories. For whatever reason, we've completed marginalized Lee on the block and given all his low block plays to Thompson and Barnes... And while Klay looks good on that turnaround fade going baseline, Lee's repertoire was much better IMO.
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball