5 Ways Nellie Would Have Sunk This Season

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:14 pm
I just don't understand. With Bogut and Lee, two capable scorers and very good passers as bigs, there is no reason why starting with them at least half the time should not be the focus. Curry, Klay and Barnes would get alot of easier looks from the outside and passing lanes to drive through. Play the way that caters to those on the court at any given time, so go a little more isos when it's Jack and Landry without Bogut and/or Lee out there, but stick to the strengths. This is very Nellie ball indeed and it doesn't work much as the win/loss of the last three months shows.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:30 pm
Here we go again...

Thompson's overtaking Lee in the shot pecking order has marred our style back into guard-oriented Nellieball, rather than the well balanced attack we saw last year. And the standings reflect a run and gun style; we're hovering around the 8 seed just like Nellie did.

If the Warriors want to win, they need to feed the ball into Lee and Bogut beyond the easy gimmie dunks at point blank. I can't stand watching Klay and Steph play this Baron Davis dribble-in-circles-than-launch-a-30-footer garbage. Even though Curry hits 25-footers better then most people hit 18-footers, efficient offense beats Nellieball. EVERY time.

What's the harm in using a HORNS set for 20 or 30 possessions a game?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:13 pm
agree. why we (i.e. coaches, fans, players, etc) acting like Bogut = Adonal Foyle on Offense? He's got good hands. He was taking double the FGA while with the Bucks. gotta play 5on5 not 4on5 and Bogut needs to be expected to score. we've got above avg PF and C...let's use 'em. no excuse when you got some weak front courts on other teams out there. Curry and Klay needs to understand that the matchups should dictate who's gonna get their's for any given night. I wanna see Klay and Curry be distributors or take it to the hole when W's have an obvious advantage in the paint.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:26 am
I thought that the topic of this thread is "5 Ways Nellie Would Have Sunk This Season."

He would have had Bogut standing around the 3-point arc on offense waiting to catch a pass for a 3-point shot.

He would have played Klay Thompson at power forward.

He would have had David Lee playing point forward.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:54 pm
The idea of him making Bogut takes threes without any improvement from three makes me laugh. I love it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:13 pm
Yeah, it's funny, but Nellie didn't have Biedrins, Foyle, Diop, or Dampier shooting 3's. The Manute Bol thing was rather unique.

That being said, I can ABSOLUTELY see him playing Thompson at the 4 alongside Curry, Douglas, and Bazemore or something ridiculous like that.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:40 pm
In the 4th quarter, Nelson would have a lineup where Douglas and Bazemore would be in the backcourt and Curry and Thompson as his forwards and Harrison Barnes at center.

I am so thankful that we are now in a new era with this team.

No more Cohan; no more Mullin; no more Nelson; no more losers running this team!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:41 am
We will forevermore disagree on Mullin's place in that sentence, old friend, but I see your point. Regardless of our appreciation (or lack there of) for the job Mully did, we can both soundly agree that Bob Myers has risen above ANY GM the Warriors have trotted out in the past 40 years.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:38 pm
32 wrote:We will forevermore disagree on Mullin's place in that sentence, old friend, but I see your point. Regardless of our appreciation (or lack there of) for the job Mully did, we can both soundly agree that Bob Myers has risen above ANY GM the Warriors have trotted out in the past 40 years.

LOL. You and I always seem to agree on most things about the Warriors except for this one.

I always gave Mullin props for how he had a layup that was unblockable; he was perhaps the most underrated finisher around the basket that the NBA has ever seen.

I gave Mullin praise for trading away Murphy and Dunleavy; however, Mullin chose Dunleavy over Jamison, which was a huge mistake.

As a front office executive, Mullin was always reactionary and never worked with a strategic plan to build the team into a championship contender. If anything, Mullin should have been hired as the community relations guy, but never as the man running the front office. Just compare what Bob Myers is doing to what Mullin had done.

Firing Musselman and hiring Monty; firing Monty and hiring Nelson??? That says it all right there.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:10 pm
uptempo wrote:
32 wrote:We will forevermore disagree on Mullin's place in that sentence, old friend, but I see your point. Regardless of our appreciation (or lack there of) for the job Mully did, we can both soundly agree that Bob Myers has risen above ANY GM the Warriors have trotted out in the past 40 years.

LOL. You and I always seem to agree on most things about the Warriors except for this one.

I always gave Mullin props for how he had a layup that was unblockable; he was perhaps the most underrated finisher around the basket that the NBA has ever seen.

I gave Mullin praise for trading away Murphy and Dunleavy; however, Mullin chose Dunleavy over Jamison, which was a huge mistake.

As a front office executive, Mullin was always reactionary and never worked with a strategic plan to build the team into a championship contender. If anything, Mullin should have been hired as the community relations guy, but never as the man running the front office. Just compare what Bob Myers is doing to what Mullin had done.

Firing Musselman and hiring Monty; firing Monty and hiring Nelson??? That says it all right there.

Not to mention that Nelly and Mully's relationship as HC and GM was basically nonexistent towards the end. They both pretty much admitted that much.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:44 am
JREED wrote:
uptempo wrote:

Not to mention that Nelly and Mully's relationship as HC and GM was basically nonexistent towards the end. They both pretty much admitted that much.

As soon as Mullin made the panic move and hired Nelson, we all knew that Nelson would eventually wrest power away from Mullin. Think about how Mullin brought Nelson back into coaching when Nelson had basically quit on the Mavericks. How did Nelson repay Mullin? By demanding a new contract right after year 1 of coming back to the Warriors. By caving to Nelson's outrageous demand for a new contract, the chemistry of the whole roster broke down. Think about it? When players are asked to sacrifice their personal stats for the good of the team, and they see that these demands are being made by a guy who had held out for more money after only 1 year on his own contract, the players would never play the way that they did at the end of the previous season.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:36 pm
But you must understand: a lot (I'd wager, MOST) of Chris Mullin's limitations as a GM stemmed from the ownership who lorded over him.

Let's not forget; he opposed resigning Stephen Jackson for the type of money he got (which is why SJax went around his back), he had a deal in play to resign Baron Davis (for less money than the Clippers paid him) and Rowell veto'd that too. His Brandan Wright trade was originally constructed as a play for Kevin Garnett and without nefarious inside dealing between Ainge and McHale (two old Celtic buddies) there was no way Minny would have gotten a better offer than a young Biedrins, a young Ellis, and Al Harrington in his prime (plus a top 10 prospect in Brandan Wright). Many of the moves Mullin wanted to execute were opposed for bean counter reasons (ie, his using of the JRich trade exception to sign Mike Miller... Rowell put the kabosh on that real quick, too). Mullin was said to be shopping Jackson for Tayshaun Prince (a HUGE long-term upgrade) before SJax started demanding a new extension TWO YEARS before his deal was up. Even Don Nelson's final moves were aimed at management; he didn't hold up management for cash until it was clear that Chris Mullin was no longer the man in charge.

EVEN THEN, with the odds entirely stacked against him, it's INCREDIBLE what Chris Mullin was able to accomplish with what little he had. He inherited a team full of dud, long-term, albatross contracts and parlayed many of them into incredible stars (Dale Davis for Baron Davis comes to mind). His drafts weren't the A+ that Myers has pulled together, but they were far from terrible... don't forget, Mullin's final draft as GM was the one where we nabbed Stephen Curry. He also found Monta Ellis at the end of the second round. Anthony Randolph may not have panned out, but he was a hot enough prospect to net us David Lee (the NY papers suggested we might someday look back on that as the "Anthony Randolph trade", instead of the DLee trade). And there remains one inescapable feather in his cap: NOBODY was better at finding D-League talent off the scrap pile than Chris Mullin. Will Bynum has had a niche in the league since Mully found him, Kelenna Azuibuke was 6MOTY worthy while he was here, and Anthony Morrow's league leading 3-point year came in Golden State. Chris Mullin was marvelous at finding talent, even if ownership stunted his growth as a manager from the very start.

I'd like to see what Mullin could have done with these new owners giving him an endless supply of funding and yesses on potential deals (the Bogut-for-Ellis trade, as one example, NEVER would have happened under Cohan... if for nothing other than the potential to pay for an injured big for 2 years, regardless of how great the reward would have been should Bogut recover - as he has).

It never bothers me to hear you rightfully slight the likes of Chris Cohan, Robert Rowell, or even a guy like Gary St. Jean... but considering the team Mullin put together in 2007, despite the odds he had to overcome to assemble a squad like that under a bean counter like Rowell and a nincompoop like Cohan, is absolute amazing. And I believe it to be spin doctor history when you refer to him as "another lose, like the rest." Mullin did all he could for us when he was here. You can't do much when the owner and president are in it for the money and not a winning record.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:18 am
Great post 32.

I repped ya for it.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:28 am
I'd take Myers and what he has done over Mullin, just saying, by what he has done in such little time is amazing.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:24 pm
migya wrote:I'd take Myers and what he has done over Mullin, just saying, by what he has done in such little time is amazing.

I think 32 would too.

32 post was more in regards to Mullin getting the blunt end of the stick due to incompotent ownership.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball