Starting line-up

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:48 am
Klay Thompson will come off the bench tonight in our preseason game vs the Lakers. He also said that Thompson will be able to start in the preseason and that he's experimenting with lineups. MTII said on his twitter to not be surprised if we see Dre come off the bench as well which brings me to this question. Who do you think the starting 5 should be? Curry, Bogut, and Lee are locked in, but who should start the games at the 2 and 3 spots and why?

I think it's a tough question. One that I can't answer right now. When it comes to this issue, I'm glad I'm not Mark Jackson.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:33 pm
If PER serves us correctly, Thompson is the logical 6th man. Barnes convincingly outplayed him during the post season and Iguodala is our 4th best player. Curry, Bogut, and Lee are locks. Based on his paycheck and the way he completes this roster, Iggy is too. That makes it Klay vs HB.

I'll take slashing and driving over spot-shooting any day. A guy who gets to the rack sparks transition offense, helps get us to the bonus, and creates open plays by drawing help defenders. Shooters are dependent on others (playmakers, post presence, etc) to open up their game. I want the guy who acts as a catalyst, not the guy who needs one. Plus, Thompson is a more established scorer. I trust him to run the second team's offense. We need a backup 2 more than another backup forward anyway.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:51 pm
The biggest difference between Barnes regular season and post season was his midrange. The midrange is the most inconsistent shot in basketball and varies greatly year to year. Take Jack as an example and go through his percentages on twos year to year. Crazy variance.

Basically Barnes had the same shot distribution, same kind of attempts in the regular season, in the same spots, but what made the difference was his midrange was falling. Making him more efficient and potent. Making a lot more dangerous.

I am hoping we move away from the midrange though. I want Klay and him to shoot the midrange a lot less and go with a more efficient game plan.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:59 pm
All the variations are effective. I want to see Iggy, Klay, and Barnes together a lot.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:23 am
Barnes has been stinking up the preseason. Klay has been playing VERY well and has been making his klay ups. This is very encouraging to see. Barnes not so much. He does have some kind of foot injury though, so hopefully he comes back from that soon.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:39 pm
Luckily, Iggy's versatility allows us to ride the hot-handed youngster.

Klay definitely filled it up against Sac. What was he, +29 on the game? Dude is THRIVING as a 6th man, no doubts there. 16 points as a starter might turn into 19 off the bench against scrubs.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:45 pm
I agree. I always thought Klay would be a perfect 6th man for our team. He is instant offense off the bench and will bring a spark when he enters. Even if barnes struggles early, Klay will sub for him. Easy as that.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:54 am
Barnes did gain 15 pounds. Maybe that didn't help?

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:05 am
Stairway Man wrote:Barnes did gain 15 pounds. Maybe that didn't help?

I think it is way too early to speculate on that. His foot might be bothering him, so hopefully its nothing major.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:46 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

I think it is way too early to speculate on that. His foot might be bothering him, so hopefully its nothing major.

After the playoffs, Barnes may have Dunleavy'd himself.

When he fails to average 15 and 7, a lotta people here are gonna be up his ass for showing up one night and disappearing the next.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:06 am
32 wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

After the playoffs, Barnes may have Dunleavy'd himself.

When he fails to average 15 and 7, a lotta people here are gonna be up his ass for showing up one night and disappearing the next.

Hmmm.... Even then, not a lot of small forwards int he league average 7 RPG. Realistically, I don't think it's about the actual numbers he gets. I think his success relies on how he puts in his work. I'm talking about FG%, 3PT%, FT%, how he performs in crunch time, how well he defends his position, whether or not if he can get us easy buckets ala fast breaks. These are the things that will help this team.

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:38 pm
I agree with 8th, Barnes shouldn't necessarily have higher numbers, but he does need to show improvement in how he performs, like showing more efficiency on both ends. Be great if already breaks out and averages 20 and 10 though.

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to Warriors Basketball