Lots of Bogut news!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:03 pm
1, Bogut wants to stay with Golden State past next season:
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... Sports.com)

2, Bogut wants to add 3-point range:
http://blog.sfgate.com/warriors/2013/10 ... the-three/

3, Bogut's top goal is 82 games:
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... y-82-games
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:11 pm
God. How amazing would it be if Lee and Bogut add corner three range.

I can see Lee getting a corner three, but not Bogut though.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:14 pm
He hit one last year? :dontknow:
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:53 pm
Bogut had some range before he broke his arm. Now his jump shot looks horrible and he can barely hit a free throw. Hopefully now that he is feeling healthy, we'll see his full repertoire of post moves using both hands and a bit of spring in his ankles like he had at Milwaukee. I wouldn't read too much into him practising shooting 3's. Apart from setting screens, he'll be in and around the basket cleaning up offensive rebounds, shooting hook shots and dunks.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:57 am
Ringo wrote:Bogut had some range before he broke his arm. Now his jump shot looks horrible and he can barely hit a free throw. Hopefully now that he is feeling healthy, we'll see his full repertoire of post moves using both hands and a bit of spring in his ankles like he had at Milwaukee. I wouldn't read too much into him practising shooting 3's. Apart from setting screens, he'll be in and around the basket cleaning up offensive rebounds, shooting hook shots and dunks.

Hopefully Bogut can work on that consistant top of the key 15-17 footer.

He sets a pick for Steph. Steph cuts to the basket. defense rotates into Curry and Curry throws it back to Bogut who is wide open
#breadAndButter

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:56 am
I agree with pawno. Hone your mid range game before spreading to the 3.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:55 am
I'll have to see it to believe it. Bogut's had a real tough go with his shooting arm after shattering his elbow. The stroke he displayed on Utah and his early Bucks years hasn't been there since Amare undercut him. I'd love for him to get it back; it'd propel him back into the top 3 center discussion. But I'm skeptical.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:12 am
I'm not down with all this 3 point shooting. We were already a heavy 3 point team last year, and with the looks of things, it looks like it's going to be even heavier. I like us shooting 3's when it's right players. I want Steph and Klay taking something like 65% of the threes with sprinkles of Harrison and Iguodala. This is a really big concern for me because we're getting really perimeter oriented. We got Speights which is a Carl Landry without the power post moves. He loves that midrange shot. We acquired Douglass whose offensive game is pretty limited to 3 pointers. David says he's been working on his midrange jumper and a corner 3. Bogut has been shooting 3's in practice. I don't like the sound of any of this. The more you're perimeter oriented, the more likely you'll have scoring slumps. This is not a good direction.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:12 am
Hell even Iggy has a bad 3pt%

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:28 am
8th ave wrote:I'm not down with all this 3 point shooting. We were already a heavy 3 point team last year, and with the looks of things, it looks like it's going to be even heavier. I like us shooting 3's when it's right players. I want Steph and Klay taking something like 65% of the threes with sprinkles of Harrison and Iguodala. This is a really big concern for me because we're getting really perimeter oriented. We got Speights which is a Carl Landry without the power post moves. He loves that midrange shot. We acquired Douglass whose offensive game is pretty limited to 3 pointers. David says he's been working on his midrange jumper and a corner 3. Bogut has been shooting 3's in practice. I don't like the sound of any of this. The more you're perimeter oriented, the more likely you'll have scoring slumps. This is not a good direction.

We took the 13th most threes in the league last year. Not really three point heavy as you are led to believe. That's not pace adjusted either and we played rather fast.

Threes>Anything Else

Efficiency is 100 percent empirically proven to win games. Generally you get the same amount of possessions give or take two possessions. That means the only way you can win is by scoring more points per possession. No team ever losses by scoring more points per possession ever.

Threes and lay ups. It's why the Rockets were 4th in offense while we were just 11th despite being a more talented offensive team. We took midrange shots a lot more. That tanks your offensive value. You have to be able to hit 55 percent of your midrange shots to make it worth it. Rockets understand that. The other team that understood that? The Knicks. Launched the most threes in the history of the NBA. They were 3rd in offensive efficiency.

Threes are good. We should want everyone to shoot threes well. I think the front office recognizes that and why Lee and Bogut both want to add a corner three. Just like Ibaka is trying to do and just like Bosh is trying to do it. Teams now recognize the value in that.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:18 pm
Bogut is moving so well and he's EATING up these rebounds. Ran 2 breaks so far. not even 6 min mark yet!

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:49 pm
PAWNO wrote:
Ringo wrote:Bogut had some range before he broke his arm. Now his jump shot looks horrible and he can barely hit a free throw. Hopefully now that he is feeling healthy, we'll see his full repertoire of post moves using both hands and a bit of spring in his ankles like he had at Milwaukee. I wouldn't read too much into him practising shooting 3's. Apart from setting screens, he'll be in and around the basket cleaning up offensive rebounds, shooting hook shots and dunks.

Hopefully Bogut can work on that consistant top of the key 15-17 footer.

He sets a pick for Steph. Steph cuts to the basket. defense rotates into Curry and Curry throws it back to Bogut who is wide open
#breadAndButter

Agreed! Bogut adding a 'pick-and-pop' jump shot will only allow for our slashers (Barnes, Iggy) to be even more effective in having a clear path to the basket.

Board family, what kind of low-block offensive game did Bogut have before the injuries? I am curious and would love to hear what peoples' opinions and recollections are.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:08 pm
Bogut has always been a heady 7-footer with a high IQ. He's most comfortable operating from a face-up for the same reason Lee does; it's easier to see cutters and open teammates, plus both our starting bigs have above average handles. Bogut likes a through-the-legs crossover to his left that gets him to the cup.

However, his back-to-the-basket game is a little less impressive:

From 0-5 feet, his pet shot is a scooping hook that he can hit with either hand. He prefers to play without the ball from that range and crash the glass or be fed easy dunks. He never developed a turn-around jumper, so he can't really fall backwards to create space; because of this, he invites a lot of contact, although he's not a great free throw shooter so that's not always a good thing. He's looking for teammates at all times; he loves throwing the behind-the-back baseline pass (ala Webber). His spin move is quicker than what he showed last year and if he's 100% (like, pre-arm-injury-100%), he's an absolute bully who pushes opposing bigs under the basket and lays the ball in close. He prefers to dunk over people from a running start, so he won't throw many down from a low-post stance.

Bogut has the strength advantage, but Lee is a more clever finisher, has a decent turn-around J, and hits his free throws at a higher clip. Because of this, Lee should be our first option down low. In fact, O'Neal should also get their numbers called before Bogut down there. Aside from Speights and Ezeli, Bogut is probably the least capable big on the block in terms of skill. However, his size and strength make him a good option against half the teams in the league.

Long story short: you wanna feed Bogut down low against 6'10 or 6'11 guys trying to play center. Against an opponent if equal strength and size, Bogut is better suited off the high elbow than the low block... At least, with the ball in his hands.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:03 pm
Bogut just has to look to score smartly, namely hooks and near the basket. Nice to have a jump shot but the team needs him to do the other things. Offense is good with him doing quite little.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:37 am
Not against San Antonio, it wasn't.

If Bogut could hit the pick-and-pop jumper, Popp wouldn't have been able to press Steph and Klay so heavily at half court. The addition of a healthy Lee helps, but Bogut should be able to take a little bit of the offensive load when Lee is out. A free-throw line jumper is all I'm asking for.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball