Strengths and Weaknesses of the Team

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:29 am
Since the team is not likely not change the rest before the season starts, as it looks set now, I wanted to have a discussion about what we all think the strengths and weaknesses of the team are.

I think the team, has close to no weaknesses, barring injury to any of the top six players. Iguodala adds in everything, especially in two areas that the team was somewhat lacking last season, defense and taking it to the basket.

I think Curry, Klay and Barnes can take it to the basket enough to keep the defense honest, but Iggy is real good at that. Lee is pretty capable himself at creating against PFs, who are generally quite slow moving their feet.

With Bogut anchoring the defense, the team will have three projected starters who last season were known as being very good defenders, in Bogut, Iggy and Klay, who established that by season's end. Barnes is already good defensively and will only improve. Douglas, Jermaine and Ezeli are known for their defense, especially more than their offense, so the bench looks more than capable in that area. With a very good team defensive concept, Curry will be better and even Lee.

Rebounding was great last season, tied for third if I remeber right. This season should only be better, because Iguodala does it all and the other player added, Speights and Jermaine, are good rebounders in the court time they get. Think the team could well be the best at rebounding this coming season.

Offense looks real good, moreso than last season. The attacking the basket factor has been mentioned and outside shooting is still close to the best in the nba right now. Curry and Klay are obviously among the best outside shooters there is, close to the best outside shooting backcourt in history in fact. Iguodala can shoot it from the outside and Barnes has shown in recent play with the U.S.A. younger players squads that he may even be better than what he was last season. Douglas is known as a good outside shooter, probably better than Jack was and he had perhaps his best outside shooting season with us, so he likely wasn't going to duplicate it. Speights is more of a jumpshooter than anything else, but he is quite good at it, another shooter to open up the lanes.

Passing looks good, as Curry has been a good one his entire career and Iguodala has also been a good one for many years now. It'll be like having two PGs out there together to start the game. Klay passes pretty well, for a SG that is a shooter especially. Barnes looked pretty good as well. Lee and Bogut are among the best passing bigs in the nba right now so in all, the offense will be among the most fluid there is in the nba.

Attitude looks great. Last season it was and Iguodala, a consistent professional, will fit in well. No egos it looks and a real team spirit.

I personally don't see any real weaknesses of the team right now, with the exception of the possibility of the ankles of Bogut and Curry making them miss time.

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:49 pm
This team can score, no doubt. If they can make the leap from a middle-of-the-pack to a Top Ten defensive team, then this team can compete with anyone in a 7-game series.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:38 pm
Last year we were 11th in offense and 13th in defense.

I bet offense stays the same and defense becomes top five.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:33 pm
I think both offense and defense will be top 10 and improved. The young guys can only get better, especially Barnes and Bogut almost certainly will play more than last season.

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:54 am
Yeah I don't think it's far fetched that we become top 10 in offense as well if we assume that Barnes and Thompson will have significant improvements in their games.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:46 pm
There's no such thing as a perfect team, but I don't see many weaknesses on this team. As always, health is important. I guess one concern is the back up point guard situation. If Douglas breaks out, we're set at that spot. There is no major weakness with this roster, now it's going to be a matter of the system, what's going on internally.
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:04 pm
composure/experience is one of our biggest weaknesses ... as seen against the Spurs. we choked numerous times late.

David Lee's defense. he doesn't stop anybody and hurting his hip won't help the cause.

our bench doesn't look as nice as last years but it's servicable. Moving Barnes there helps but missing Landry/Jack could hurt.

Boguts inability to hit a free throw hurts. Popovich nullified him in the series by putting him on the line.

and the obvious: steph's ankles.

If Andrew Bogut is healthy (most likely won't be) .. we can be a top 3 seed. If not, we'll probably finish 5th or 6th again and get to the 2nd round only to lose to a more complete team.
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:01 pm
Beast Mode wrote:composure/experience is one of our biggest weaknesses ... as seen against the Spurs. we choked numerous times late.

David Lee's defense. he doesn't stop anybody and hurting his hip won't help the cause.

our bench doesn't look as nice as last years but it's servicable. Moving Barnes there helps but missing Landry/Jack could hurt.

Boguts inability to hit a free throw hurts. Popovich nullified him in the series by putting him on the line.

and the obvious: steph's ankles.

If Andrew Bogut is healthy (most likely won't be) .. we can be a top 3 seed. If not, we'll probably finish 5th or 6th again and get to the 2nd round only to lose to a more complete team.

We did lose Jack and Landry, but this is a way of looking at it. Lee wasn't in the playoffs last year. So basically it's like Lee is filling in for Landry. And now we have Iguoadala and Douglas who can control the ball along with Steph. Not only is Lee replacing Landry, but O'neal and Speights might be better than just Landry. Barnes is going to be on the bench too, and he will be a year older. Green will have more experience. Bazemore will have more experience. Plus we have Nedovic who might become an asset, we'll see. Biedrins wasn't doing anything for us. Was okay defensively but we hardly used him. Whatever he can do, sure O'neal can do.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:58 am
If Mo Williams is still available, I wouldn't mind actually signing him, though we're over the salarycap and can't. Maybe some sort of sign and trade with Utah, giving them some of the TE, like no more than veteran minimum for Mo Williams.

Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:31 pm
migya wrote:I personally don't see any real weaknesses of the team right now, with the exception of the possibility of the ankles of Bogut and Curry making them miss time.

Right. That's our weakest weakness. On paper though, not much weakness at all. Every year the Warriors have many weaknesses. Now I just find so many strengths.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:17 pm
Yeahhh so playing some NBA 2K13 and just looking at that stats after the game.... woww, and it kinda just dawned on me......how bout this freakin roster? How long has it been since Warriors have had this complete of a team? 1 thru 12 can all contribute. What a ride it's been in the post-Cohan era. Just smart basketball decisions and getting pieces the team needed. Firing Rowell, trading scrubs for Lee, Jerry West, Monta for Bogut, Klay, Barnes, Iggy, etc etc etc

just check it out

PG -- Curry ... star PG, borderline-superstar and getting better, best shooter on the planet
SG -- Klay .... lights out shooter, good defender, just a straight up baller. say what you want about consistency, but I really think Klay is one of our best competitors on the floor night in and night out. The guy doesn't like to lose and wants the team to win as bad as anyone imo.
SF -- Iggy ... THE player this team needed. Does it all, can play multiple positions, the slasher, the lockdown defender. perfect fit for the team and great FA signing - especially considering they didn't lose any starters in order to get him.
PF -- Lee ... under-appreciated, undervalued, flaws overexaggerated, and scape-goated, but easily the most consistent Warrior on the team, 20 & 10 machine, all star, all-NBA, leader.
C -- Bogut ... top 5 center, one of the best defensive and passing big men in the league

SF -- Harrison Barnes ... uh steal of the 2012 draft. Showed off his athleticism, showed some spark in the playoffs, team guy, very high ceiling this dude.

the rest...

J'Oneal, Speights, Bazemore, Ezeli, Green, Douglass

All these guys can contribute and aren't just bench warmers but are players who've experienced playing heavy minutes before.

Love the fact that this team has a great mix of young and old, smart players, leaders, grinders, gritty tough hate-to-lose players, etc. They're already good, but with guys like Curry Klay and Barnes coming into their own and getting more experience together, they could easily be contenders as soon as this year. Not to mention, that one thing every team wants --- great chemistry. I'm kinda glad the D Howard trade didn't go down. It's more risky at this point to break this thing up and fix what isn't broken, then to trade multiple assets to get a player who couldn't even win alongside Kobe Nash and Gasol.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:11 pm
I know we are the best team at shooting midrange jumpers, but I want us to not shoot midrange jumpers. More threes, more shots at the rim, less mid range jumpers.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:39 am
I think this roster is very capable of being able to shoot threes or drive to the basket at will, likely no need for much in the midrange. The defense is what will spurn the offense. Health the key, as many have said, and it looks promising with the lineup as it is.

Return to Warriors Basketball