*PAWNO ON THE CLOCK! Redistribution of NBA Talent 2013!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:46 pm
Jonas Val is really awesome.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:49 am
Blackfoot wrote:Jonas Val is really awesome.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not... :scratch:

On one hand, he's an 8 & 6 guy who gets dunked on a lot for only blocking one shot a game and made no discernible difference in the win column of a basement team... But on the other hand, his high FT% gives him a terrific TS%, and you've continually shown your favor for efficient shooters (even those who only take 1 or 2 shots per quarter).

So I'm a bit confused.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:46 am
32 wrote:

On one hand, he's an 8 & 6 guy who gets dunked on a lot for only blocking one shot a game and made no discernible difference in the win column of a basement team... But on the other hand, his high FT% gives him a terrific TS%, and you've continually shown your favor for efficient shooters (even those who only take 1 or 2 shots per quarter).

So I'm a bit confused.

You know he was a rookie right? Playing for Dwane Casey, the worst coach in basketball.

Plus, more specifically with Valanciunas, he is a hard worker. He improved every month in his rookie season. He's 21. He bulked up and showed dominance in the summer league earning MVP honors. He is playing with the Lithuania team this summer and will be ready for the second season. I think he will be even better in a few years from now, but definately more improved than last year.

I think the Rapters can sneak into the playoffs this season. Definitely not a basement team, as long as their healthy. DeRozen, Gay, and Valanciunas are enough in the pathetic east.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:29 pm
I do think he is really awesome.

I think he will be an all-star caliber player one day. Sneaky good year last year with a ton of upside. Rebounds real well and he I think he will be a pretty good defensive player too.
Last edited by Blackfoot on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:30 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
32 wrote:

So I'm a bit confused.

You know he was a rookie right? Playing for Dwane Casey, the worst coach in basketball.

Plus, more specifically with Valanciunas, he is a hard worker. He improved every month in his rookie season. He's 21. He bulked up and showed dominance in the summer league earning MVP honors. He is playing with the Lithuania team this summer and will be ready for the second season. I think he will be even better in a few years from now, but definately more improved than last year.

I think the Rapters can sneak into the playoffs this season. Definitely not a basement team, as long as their healthy. DeRozen, Gay, and Valanciunas are enough in the pathetic east.

Casey had a pretty okay offensive system last year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:41 pm
Blackfoot wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
32 wrote:

So I'm a bit confused.

Casey had a pretty okay offensive system last year.

Well Casey is clearly defensive minded. His offenses are slow paced, almost unnatural. I know Casey has vowed to change the way he coaches this year, to do it "his way". He mentioned that he wasn't coaching "his way" in the past, which is pretty ridiculous to say.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:09 pm
jamal crawford
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:51 pm
8th ave wrote:jamal crawford

good pick. he was my next choice.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:21 am
Tony Allen.

Favors, Varejao, and Allen add a lot of toughness without taking too many shots away from Anthony. I'm building this cast ala the 2001 Sixers, who put a bunch of blue collars around Iverson, knowing he'd chuck 40 shots a night anyway, and got to the Finals (where they lost because AI was predictable and inefficient). Given a similar scenario, I have more faith in Anthony - who may very well be the most versatile NBA scorer since Jordan, when it comes to the myriad of ways he can fill it up.

There's no sense in adding another playmaker next to Melo. He drove Billips and Iverson outta Denver, got rid of Jeremy Lin in NY, and put Amar'e on the bench. A pick-and-roll point like Holiday is all you really want in the same lineup as Anthony. Favors & Varejao will be handy on the o-glass picking up all his misfires.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:06 am
Oh and Crackerz, I wasn't trying to sh*t on your pick. All the REAL shot blockers get dunked on (see Bogut, Duncan, Gasol, etc). I just remember Jonas V getting yammed on quite a few times and that's why I said what I said. With the current amount of bigs left, that's certainly not a bad pick.

That being said, Jonas Valanciunas is now the 2nd player Blackfoot has labeled a future all-star that I disagree with (Ed Davis being the 1st). I think he's solid, but I dunno if he's much more than a rim protector. His high point totals in April were fueled by him getting to the line 7 times a night... I dunno if he can sustain that. Plus, he only pulled down 6 boards in 32 minutes as a starter (that's worse than Amar'e).

Again, truly gifted shot-blocker, solid role player in every other aspect. All-star potential? Maybe, since he's only 20, but I wouldn't bet on it.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:05 pm
32 wrote:Oh and Crackerz, I wasn't trying to sh*t on your pick. All the REAL shot blockers get dunked on (see Bogut, Duncan, Gasol, etc). I just remember Jonas V getting yammed on quite a few times and that's why I said what I said. With the current amount of bigs left, that's certainly not a bad pick.

That being said, Jonas Valanciunas is now the 2nd player Blackfoot has labeled a future all-star that I disagree with (Ed Davis being the 1st). I think he's solid, but I dunno if he's much more than a rim protector. His high point totals in April were fueled by him getting to the line 7 times a night... I dunno if he can sustain that. Plus, he only pulled down 6 boards in 32 minutes as a starter (that's worse than Amar'e).

Again, truly gifted shot-blocker, solid role player in every other aspect. All-star potential? Maybe, since he's only 20, but I wouldn't bet on it.

He's in the East. Very easy to get to the all-star game at the center pos.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:33 pm
I like Jonas val a lot more than Ed Davis who I think is a potential all star just because of how crazy athletic he is.

Jonas is athletic, hyper efficient, and has an amazing work ethic. Jonas Val is going to be a big time player for the Raptors.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:50 pm
Carl Landry.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:46 pm
Vince Carter

The player that should have won sixth man of the year, but didn't because the Mavericks sucked. He straight up killed it last year.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:53 pm
Blackfoot wrote:Vince Carter

The player that should have won sixth man of the year, but didn't because the Mavericks sucked. He straight up killed it last year.

I toyed with Vince at my Tony Allen spot, but he just needs a lot of shots and that woulda been wasted next to Melo. Carter is a terrific pick though. Only question is whether or not last year was his final productive season. I've written off VC before and he's come back strong. I had him in my top 10 overall SGs though.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball