All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:16 pm
summer league champs
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:26 pm
Going over efficiencies in the league. I am fairly confident we have a top ten offense and a top five defense.

Klay Thompson was an elite defender in every single aspect except spot up shooting. He did a lot of things on spot up shooting defense, but it still wasn't that awful of a rating because his hustle. Like, he helps one pass away too often. But he hustles back so it's not awful.

I am so excited for how good this defense is going to be. We have three defenders that are elite for their position.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:05 am
Blackfoot wrote:Going over efficiencies in the league. I am fairly confident we have a top ten offense and a top five defense.

Klay Thompson was an elite defender in every single aspect except spot up shooting. He did a lot of things on spot up shooting defense, but it still wasn't that awful of a rating because his hustle. Like, he helps one pass away too often. But he hustles back so it's not awful.

I am so excited for how good this defense is going to be. We have three defenders that are elite for their position.

It's going to be pretty awesome because we can hide Curry and Lee and save their legs and let them chew people on offense.

On another note, I know we just signed Toney Douglas, but if Bazemore outplays him in training camp, I'd be in favor of him assuming the role of Curry's back up. I've become very weary of the addition of jump shooters this off-season. Although I believe that Douglas and Speights are very serviceable back-ups, the way they get their points is concerning. Douglas is a 3pt shooter. Speights likes to live on top of the key. I like the idea of Bazemore coming off the bench for Curry because at least he has his length and from what I've seen form summer league, he has the ability to get to the rim. Just don't want to become a pure jump shooting team. Need other avenues of scoring when these shots aren't falling and Lee is cold.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:15 am
I agree. Best players deserve playing time. If Bazemore somehow earns more playing time of Douglas, awesome.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:53 am
Blackfoot wrote:There is some well ran teams do. They have depth at ever level of the organization. I am glad we are part of that mold now. The summer league matters. The D-league matters.

D-League, yes. Summer League, no.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:17 pm
Anyone really impressed by Ian Clark? Kid was playing like steph in the summer league. Every time he touched the ball something good happened.

Personally think he should make the roster.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:02 pm
I wish broe were here to remind you guys of how badly MDJ used to tear up the summer leagues. I remember a preseason where Dunleavy averaged 17-8-6 and everyone wet themselves.

Exhibition games mean nothing.

We're a REAL team now. We have 3 all-stars in the starting lineup, 2 future all-stars, a former all-star at backup center, a NY starter at backup point, and Klay Thompson. That's 8 quality guys and we haven't even discussed Draymond Green or Festus Ezeli. It's like THAT now.

The days of praying for D-League gold are over. We're a real team now.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:09 pm
32 wrote:I wish broe were here to remind you guys of how badly MDJ used to tear up the summer leagues. I remember a preseason where Dunleavy averaged 17-8-6 and everyone wet themselves.

Exhibition games mean nothing.

We're a REAL team now. We have 3 all-stars in the starting lineup, 2 future all-stars, a former all-star at backup center, a NY starter at backup point, and Klay Thompson. That's 8 quality guys and we haven't even discussed Draymond Green or Festus Ezeli. It's like THAT now.

The days of praying for D-League gold are over. We're a real team now.

We know that. We aren't saying these players are rotational players. But it's good we have depth. It's nice to know our summer league team can beat a Suns team that has at least three players getting major starter minutes.

It all shows how bad the Suns are going to be.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:02 pm
What you call depth, I call injury reserves.

The only way a summer/D-league player contributes next year is if the Warriors get hit with a wave of injuries. I'm personally praying that doesn't happen.

Draymond Green was the star of this year's summer league squad, he's the only rotation player on the roster, and he put up 11.6 points (30% shooting), 7.3 boards, 2.3 steals, 1.7 assists, and 0.8 blocks per night in 6 games. I suppose him getting to the line 5 times a game is a plus, but he didn't blow up the exhibitions so I'm still viewing him as a 3rd string backup.

Bazemore was the leading scorer with 18.5 points, but shot poorly (44% overall, 29% for three). People are stoked off Ian Clark, but he's a point guard averaging than 1.3 assists in 20 minutes a night - I know he hit a good percentage of there's, but 6 games is a small sample and he's too small to be an NBA rotation player without being able to playmake.

Let's put it into perspective: Anthony Randolph, a journeyman career backup, a 3rd or 4th big (in a good year), put up 27 points, 3 blocks, and 8.5 rebounds per game... Then averaged 11 and 7 as a quasi-starter for us in the regular season. Nobody tore it up like Randolph this year, so we shouldn't even be expecting anything close to that mediocre production in the games that actually matter.

Where, exactly, is the hidden treasure to be had? Nobody tore it up and the competition was barely above collegiate level. Why should anybody care about a summer league title?
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:38 pm
http://www.warriorsworld.net/2013/02/03 ... -bazemore/

great interview with bazemore

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:24 am
32 wrote:What you call depth, I call injury reserves.

The only way a summer/D-league player contributes next year is if the Warriors get hit with a wave of injuries. I'm personally praying that doesn't happen.

Draymond Green was the star of this year's summer league squad, he's the only rotation player on the roster, and he put up 11.6 points (30% shooting), 7.3 boards, 2.3 steals, 1.7 assists, and 0.8 blocks per night in 6 games. I suppose him getting to the line 5 times a game is a plus, but he didn't blow up the exhibitions so I'm still viewing him as a 3rd string backup.

Bazemore was the leading scorer with 18.5 points, but shot poorly (44% overall, 29% for three). People are stoked off Ian Clark, but he's a point guard averaging than 1.3 assists in 20 minutes a night - I know he hit a good percentage of there's, but 6 games is a small sample and he's too small to be an NBA rotation player without being able to playmake.

Let's put it into perspective: Anthony Randolph, a journeyman career backup, a 3rd or 4th big (in a good year), put up 27 points, 3 blocks, and 8.5 rebounds per game... Then averaged 11 and 7 as a quasi-starter for us in the regular season. Nobody tore it up like Randolph this year, so we shouldn't even be expecting anything close to that mediocre production in the games that actually matter.

Where, exactly, is the hidden treasure to be had? Nobody tore it up and the competition was barely above collegiate level. Why should anybody care about a summer league title?

That's the thing. Injuries happen every year. That's why depth and injury reserves are so important.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:30 am
Ian Clark is small, but so is steph and so is Nate Robinson. But they both bring something to the table.

Clark's 3pt fg% is ridiculous and adding him to our roster certainly gives us another shooter and quick guard to push the tempo.

People were hating on Jeremy Lin during summer league that one year he faced John wall and matched up well with him. And who wouldn't want Lin on the roster now?

Just sayin that even though the d league has scrubs, there is d league gold to be found.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:03 am
39% isn't exactly "ridiculous"... Especially considering he only played 6 games.

I bet that translated to 32-34% in the pro's. Which is pretty meh.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:17 am
I had a thought. Mark Jackson said someone was telling him that they were trying to hurt Curry. Iggy actually hung our team at a church service before a playoff game.

Do you think Iggy possibly told Jackson this? Given his close relationship with Curry an all?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:52 am
There was an article out of Denver that suggested that very thought after Iggy jumped. I'd say it has some credence to it.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball