*PAWNO ON THE CLOCK! Redistribution of NBA Talent 2013!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:10 am
Blackfoot wrote:
8th ave wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:Thabo Sefolosha

617 TS and elite defense


Career TS% = .531%

Yeah he's effective, but only at the rate of FIVE shots per game. He's good for 5 ppg in his career, so as long as he's not shooting more than that, sure he's efficient, but really it don't mean ****. In terms of his defense he's NOT elite. He might be better than average, but a career defensive rating of 104 is probably a little better than average if anything. For reference, David Lee's defensive rating last year is IDENTICAL to Selfolosha's career defensive rating.

So yeah. Just based on that, it really makes me question the validity of all these stats that BF bases his opinions on.

lol yeah im throwin down the gauntlet. I've been researchin a lil bit on these state but they really don't make sense to me.



mysynergystats.com

This is what I mean by synergy. Not Dtrg


Tell me what the difference is.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:11 am
8th ave wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:
8th ave wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:Thabo Sefolosha

617 TS and elite defense


Career TS% = .531%

Yeah he's effective, but only at the rate of FIVE shots per game. He's good for 5 ppg in his career, so as long as he's not shooting more than that, sure he's efficient, but really it don't mean ****. In terms of his defense he's NOT elite. He might be better than average, but a career defensive rating of 104 is probably a little better than average if anything. For reference, David Lee's defensive rating last year is IDENTICAL to Selfolosha's career defensive rating.

So yeah. Just based on that, it really makes me question the validity of all these stats that BF bases his opinions on.

lol yeah im throwin down the gauntlet. I've been researchin a lil bit on these state but they really don't make sense to me.



mysynergystats.com

This is what I mean by synergy. Not Dtrg


Tell me what the difference is.


I've asked in another thread the validity of defensive rating but no one answered. In terms of defensive rating, Selofosha ain't ****. Just like David Lee.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:12 am
8th ave wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:
8th ave wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:Thabo Sefolosha

617 TS and elite defense


Career TS% = .531%

Yeah he's effective, but only at the rate of FIVE shots per game. He's good for 5 ppg in his career, so as long as he's not shooting more than that, sure he's efficient, but really it don't mean ****. In terms of his defense he's NOT elite. He might be better than average, but a career defensive rating of 104 is probably a little better than average if anything. For reference, David Lee's defensive rating last year is IDENTICAL to Selfolosha's career defensive rating.

So yeah. Just based on that, it really makes me question the validity of all these stats that BF bases his opinions on.

lol yeah im throwin down the gauntlet. I've been researchin a lil bit on these state but they really don't make sense to me.



mysynergystats.com

This is what I mean by synergy. Not Dtrg


Tell me what the difference is.


More specifically, tell me what synergy tells me that defensive rating doesn't. I'd love to hear it.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image

All Star
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:22 am
8th ave wrote:
8th ave wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:
8th ave wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:Thabo Sefolosha

617 TS and elite defense


Career TS% = .531%

Yeah he's effective, but only at the rate of FIVE shots per game. He's good for 5 ppg in his career, so as long as he's not shooting more than that, sure he's efficient, but really it don't mean ****. In terms of his defense he's NOT elite. He might be better than average, but a career defensive rating of 104 is probably a little better than average if anything. For reference, David Lee's defensive rating last year is IDENTICAL to Selfolosha's career defensive rating.

So yeah. Just based on that, it really makes me question the validity of all these stats that BF bases his opinions on.

lol yeah im throwin down the gauntlet. I've been researchin a lil bit on these state but they really don't make sense to me.



mysynergystats.com

This is what I mean by synergy. Not Dtrg


Tell me what the difference is.


More specifically, tell me what synergy tells me that defensive rating doesn't. I'd love to hear it.



Browse the site. You will discover a lot of information just looking at stuff.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13507
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:14 am
I agree with 8th here.

BF, you can't just claim your opinion is valid because you read Synergy. You have to explain which stats youre using on the site. And if your opposition doesn't understand those stats (like 8th has claimed a couple times), you need to explain them and illustrate why we should concern ourselves with the stats you're using in your argument. If you don't explain what your sources mean, people might think YOU don't know what they mean and your opinion might not hold as much weight.

I agree with 8th, though. When Rudy Gay was traded, you used DRtg to illustrate his lack of value, but in the case of Sefolosha, you're telling us to disregard DRtg. You can't decide that certain stats are useless and certain stats are gold depending on the point you're trying to prove; gotta be consistent.

You've thrown the Synergy home page at 8th and PAWNO this past week. If you could, why not tell us the stats you're using and cite the specific pages instead of just throwing the book at us and saying "read up if you wanna know." If your methods aren't clear to the people you're attempting to sway, then your points might not land.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

All Star
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:12 pm
I have explained what synergy is before. But I probably explained it wrong. And if you guys really want to know and to get more information you will. If not, you probably don't care about what I am going to say.

This is what I mean by synergy, http://www.mysynergysports.com/

Just put in a players name you want to see or a teams name and you can click offense and defense to see how well they do either defending or converting a possession into points.

Example of Curry's defensive synergy

Overall he gives up .95 points per possession, bad for anyone except a PG.

You check any player you'd like on any given game or the entire season and it will tell you how they did in each play. For Rudy Gay his defender isolated on him 46 times while he was with the Grizzlies and their PPP was .81. But when he was defending the P&R Ball Handler he gave up .93 points per possession.

Overall his points per possession was .91 on the Grizzlies. On the Raptors his overall defense was actually better at .85 PPP.

I've linked the source to the stats I mentioned so anyone can cross check. I just think you guys don't care about verifying the information yourselves.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13507
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:03 pm
Aite, so you're concerned with situational PPP as a measure of defensive excellence.

That's all I was wondering.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13507
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:46 pm
Anthony Roberson for JREED.

Go ahead BF.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

All Star
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:20 pm
Give me KMart.


Now I got someone to create their own offense rather efficiently.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:57 am
nicholas batum

danillo gallinari
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:10 am
Blackfoot wrote:I have explained what synergy is before. But I probably explained it wrong. And if you guys really want to know and to get more information you will. If not, you probably don't care about what I am going to say.

This is what I mean by synergy, http://www.mysynergysports.com/

Just put in a players name you want to see or a teams name and you can click offense and defense to see how well they do either defending or converting a possession into points.

Example of Curry's defensive synergy

Overall he gives up .95 points per possession, bad for anyone except a PG.

You check any player you'd like on any given game or the entire season and it will tell you how they did in each play. For Rudy Gay his defender isolated on him 46 times while he was with the Grizzlies and their PPP was .81. But when he was defending the P&R Ball Handler he gave up .93 points per possession.

Overall his points per possession was .91 on the Grizzlies. On the Raptors his overall defense was actually better at .85 PPP.

I've linked the source to the stats I mentioned so anyone can cross check. I just think you guys don't care about verifying the information yourselves.


Still though. Explain to me why Sefolosha's defense is elite. I looked at his PPP and it's .93 which is ranked in the 300's. I have no idea how I can look up the league average so to compare, I looked up random players like Wesley Matthews, Batum, and someone who I thought is bad on defense in Monta Ellis. All of them were rated higher than Sefolosha in terms of PPP. So what gives? Ellis was actually better in some defensive categories as well, with other categories being very similar.

I dunno. Looks like your sefolosha pick sucked
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:18 am
The only reason I thought Sefolosha's might be skewed is because the amount of times he was isolated. Maybe everyones PPP numbers are better than his because they often don't get the assignment of guarding the best player night in and night out like Sefolosha does, but I looked up Tony Allen's number who I think is the best wing defender in the NBA, and his PPP is .78. 15 points higher than Sefolosha. Based on defensive rating and PPP, Sefolosha ain't **** on defense.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image

All Star
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:33 pm
8th ave wrote:The only reason I thought Sefolosha's might be skewed is because the amount of times he was isolated. Maybe everyones PPP numbers are better than his because they often don't get the assignment of guarding the best player night in and night out like Sefolosha does, but I looked up Tony Allen's number who I think is the best wing defender in the NBA, and his PPP is .78. 15 points higher than Sefolosha. Based on defensive rating and PPP, Sefolosha ain't **** on defense.



The reason he is considered an elite defender is because he's elite at defending the P&R Ball Handler. The most used play in basketball. It's a staple you need defensively.


Tony Allen. He's on another level. He's very good.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:46 pm
Blackfoot wrote:
8th ave wrote:The only reason I thought Sefolosha's might be skewed is because the amount of times he was isolated. Maybe everyones PPP numbers are better than his because they often don't get the assignment of guarding the best player night in and night out like Sefolosha does, but I looked up Tony Allen's number who I think is the best wing defender in the NBA, and his PPP is .78. 15 points higher than Sefolosha. Based on defensive rating and PPP, Sefolosha ain't **** on defense.



The reason he is considered an elite defender is because he's elite at defending the P&R Ball Handler. The most used play in basketball. It's a staple you need defensively.


Tony Allen. He's on another level. He's very good.


Ok. So in terms of Pick and roll ball handler, Sefolosha gives us .82 PPP. Nicolas Batum gives up .8 PPP on Pick and roll ball hander. So Nicolas Batum is an elite defender too?
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image

All Star
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:01 pm
8th ave wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:
8th ave wrote:The only reason I thought Sefolosha's might be skewed is because the amount of times he was isolated. Maybe everyones PPP numbers are better than his because they often don't get the assignment of guarding the best player night in and night out like Sefolosha does, but I looked up Tony Allen's number who I think is the best wing defender in the NBA, and his PPP is .78. 15 points higher than Sefolosha. Based on defensive rating and PPP, Sefolosha ain't **** on defense.



The reason he is considered an elite defender is because he's elite at defending the P&R Ball Handler. The most used play in basketball. It's a staple you need defensively.


Tony Allen. He's on another level. He's very good.


Ok. So in terms of Pick and roll ball handler, Sefolosha gives us .82 PPP. Nicolas Batum gives up .8 PPP on Pick and roll ball hander. So Nicolas Batum is an elite defender too?


Nicolas Batum is really badass. So yes.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests