I feel that some take Lee for granted

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:12 pm
Everyone always talks about Lee's defense and what Lee can't do. And many asked if the Warriors are better without Lee. I feel that the Warriors can play small against certain teams and do good. But I feel that it's best to be versatile and be able to score in different ways. David Lee won a lot of match ups last year at the power forward. At times he made Bosh and Griffin look like they're not stars. Everyone thought Lee was part of the reason the Dubs made the playoffs but the fact of the matter is once he went down and the Warriors beat Denver, people started jumping to conclusions. Not every team has a power forward as talented as Lee, who was our first all star in 16 years. Lee is really skilled and consistent. He has a great touch and will do anything for a rebound. And he's a great passer. I think some take him for granted. I mean he made the ALL NBA team. I can't think of many power forwards who I'd consider far better than Lee. Not at this current time. When you have a team filled with shooters and perimeter players, I think Lee is the perfect compliment to that. Plus with Iggy in the lineup and Bogut, I think Lee's defense can be masked. The Warriors have a good defensive team. We can still use Lee's rebounding. Honestly, I think Lee can defend when he focuses. A couple years ago, he was the player to stop Love's double double streak, held him to 6 points I think. He also at one time guarded Howard and held him to no field goals in a half. When he's focused, he can play some D.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:40 pm
The fact is, David Lee is a top 5 power forward in the entire NBA. According to the NBA, he was actually the 3rd best overall PF last year (3rd Team All-NBA).

So, yeah, you're right. A lot of people here undervalue him. Which is an easy trap to fall into when you watch the team advance in the playoffs without him. It's more pleasant to believe that the team is stacked enough to be able to sacrifice Lee's talent for the sake of nit-picking his defense, but I dunno if I buy it. In fact, I dunno if the team even makes the playoffs last year without Lee (I'd guess they'd finish 10th, considering Bogut was hurt all year long and Barnes didn't really pan out til the playoffs).

I'm not 100% against trading Lee; there are only 5 guys in the league who are absolutely untradeable and we don't have any of them. But I don't like these downgraded-overall-talent deals for the sake of adding marginally better defense. Lee's offense is ELITE. And his defense was passable last year. So if you're gonna trade him, trade him for an upgrade. Package him and Thompson together for Kevin Love. Trade him and Thompson and Curry to the Heat for LeBron James and filler. But for the love of God, hearing people suggest we deal him for Jeff Green or Anderson Varejao or the like... it's really cringe worthy.

8th, you wanna jump in on this? I know you're among those who weren't thrilled with Lee's season last year. Maybe you can illustrate why Warriors fans view Lee as expendable now?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:51 pm
For the life of me, I cannot find my big ass write for why i don't want Lee.

He's a defensive laughing stock. Period. Can't stand that ****.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:38 pm
It's fine that he sucks defensively because our schemes hide him. His offense offsets + more he negatively brings defensively.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:43 pm
Which is why if he's traded it's only for an upgrade, such as for Love and I wouldn't give more than Lee and a bench player, Harrison Barnes not included.

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:02 pm
migya wrote:Which is why if he's traded it's only for an upgrade, such as for Love and I wouldn't give more than Lee and a bench player, Harrison Barnes not included.

Yes because that makes a lot of sense for minnesota, right? You drive me crazy, migya.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:10 pm
8th ave wrote:
migya wrote:Which is why if he's traded it's only for an upgrade, such as for Love and I wouldn't give more than Lee and a bench player, Harrison Barnes not included.

Yes because that makes a lot of sense for minnesota, right? You drive me crazy, migya.

Since Love said before last season that he is not happy with the TWolves FO for not making them a winner and since he played very little last season due to that hand injury, he is not a keeper for them. Minnesota needs to trade him as soon as possible before he really demands out of there, which could be as soon as during this coming season. Lee, an allstar and top 5 PF, and DGreen for Love would be a good trade. Lee does what Love does, but not quite as good and DGreen is better than most bench players they have there in Minnesota. They won't get more than that for Love, as teams trading a superstar never get equal value in return, but Lee and DGreen is not far off of what Love is worth and likely more than anyone else will offer them.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:47 pm
migya wrote:
8th ave wrote:

Since Love said before last season that he is not happy with the TWolves FO for not making them a winner and since he played very little last season due to that hand injury, he is not a keeper for them. Minnesota needs to trade him as soon as possible before he really demands out of there, which could be as soon as during this coming season. Lee, an allstar and top 5 PF, and DGreen for Love would be a good trade. Lee does what Love does, but not quite as good and DGreen is better than most bench players they have there in Minnesota. They won't get more than that for Love, as teams trading a superstar never get equal value in return, but Lee and DGreen is not far off of what Love is worth and likely more than anyone else will offer them.

MVP Kevin Garnett for Troy Murphy, Chris Taft, Derek Fisher, and Zarko Chaparkaba... Version 2013!

:mrgreen: Couldn't be helped, migs. I'm only teasing... partially. :wink: But this Draymond Green plus our 3rd best player business sounds eerily similar to your 2005 claim that Minnesota couldn't get a better offer then our trash for a guy 2 years removed from an MVP campaign. Kevin Love is a top 10 NBA player... And the Wolves know it. They'd MUCH rather wait for him to demand a trade and reap the fruits of a bidding war for him than simply throw in the towel and give him to us (basically) for free.

I do admire your zest for advertising our players as golden bargaining chips though. :wink: I suppose a man can always dream, right?
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:02 am
migya wrote:
8th ave wrote:

David Lee and Draymond Green for Kevin Love? Are you ****ing high Migya? You're still posting these idiotic trades? Goddamn man.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:56 am
32 wrote:
migya wrote:
8th ave wrote:

MVP Kevin Garnett for Troy Murphy, Chris Taft, Derek Fisher, and Zarko Chaparkaba... Version 2013!

:mrgreen: Couldn't be helped, migs. I'm only teasing... partially. :wink: But this Draymond Green plus our 3rd best player business sounds eerily similar to your 2005 claim that Minnesota couldn't get a better offer then our trash for a guy 2 years removed from an MVP campaign. Kevin Love is a top 10 NBA player... And the Wolves know it. They'd MUCH rather wait for him to demand a trade and reap the fruits of a bidding war for him than simply throw in the towel and give him to us (basically) for free.

I do admire your zest for advertising our players as golden bargaining chips though. :wink: I suppose a man can always dream, right?

:)
I'm not going to go into past scenarios, I'll only say that I've been objective at the time of writing.

You yourself are high on Lee, him being an allstar and all and I agree with you for the most part on how good he is. As we've seen over the eras, you just don't get anywhere near equal value in return for your star, most recently seen in the trade of Pierce and KG to Brooklyn for very little. Lee and Love are similar, with their strengths and weaknesses. DGreen is a very good role player as the was seen in the playoffs especially.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:56 am
32 wrote:The fact is, David Lee is a top 5 power forward in the entire NBA. According to the NBA, he was actually the 3rd best overall PF last year (3rd Team All-NBA).

So, yeah, you're right. A lot of people here undervalue him. Which is an easy trap to fall into when you watch the team advance in the playoffs without him. It's more pleasant to believe that the team is stacked enough to be able to sacrifice Lee's talent for the sake of nit-picking his defense, but I dunno if I buy it. In fact, I dunno if the team even makes the playoffs last year without Lee (I'd guess they'd finish 10th, considering Bogut was hurt all year long and Barnes didn't really pan out til the playoffs).

I'm not 100% against trading Lee; there are only 5 guys in the league who are absolutely untradeable and we don't have any of them. But I don't like these downgraded-overall-talent deals for the sake of adding marginally better defense. Lee's offense is ELITE. And his defense was passable last year. So if you're gonna trade him, trade him for an upgrade. Package him and Thompson together for Kevin Love. Trade him and Thompson and Curry to the Heat for LeBron James and filler. But for the love of God, hearing people suggest we deal him for Jeff Green or Anderson Varejao or the like... it's really cringe worthy.

8th, you wanna jump in on this? I know you're among those who weren't thrilled with Lee's season last year. Maybe you can illustrate why Warriors fans view Lee as expendable now?

Agree with some of your post, but not interested in trading Thompson and Lee for Love. Until Love can at least make the playoffs, I don't care for his game. Love shot a low percentage and not sure about his passing. He sure never helped the Wolves win, that's for sure. Lebron could help the Cavs win, who were even worse than the T Wolves without him.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:51 pm
Kevin Love is literally better than David Lee in every aspect of basketball.

**** like this is why this forum has like 6 posters.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:05 pm
Beast Mode wrote:Kevin Love is literally better than David Lee in every aspect of basketball.

Yeah, I absolutely agree. Run down the checklist:

Inside scoring: Tie
Midrange scoring: Love
3-Point scoring: Love
Free throw shooting: Love
Offensive rebounding: Love
Defensive rebounding: Love
Man-to-man defense: Love
Zone defense: Love
High post passing: Lee
Low post passing: Tie
Outlet passing: Love
Screening: Love
Transition offense: Love

Quite literally, Kevin Love is superior to not only Lee, but pretty much every other PF in the game today. He is to PF what LeBron is to SF... Although not quite, because LeBron has Durant and Carmelo on his heels. Right now, there's no other PF even close to Love when he's healthy. Out of 100, Love is a 94. Lee is an 80. Both are good, one is great... And will be great for the next 12 years.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:57 pm
Beast Mode wrote:Kevin Love is literally better than David Lee in every aspect of basketball.

That's an out of place statement and overreaction. This is a place to talk nba and basketball in general.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:02 pm
migya wrote:

That's an out of place statement

Nah, that trade proposal was. Lee is already overpaid. He's coming off a major injury. Draymond Green is solid but not really that much better than any other bench player in the league. Fans tend to overrate their own players like you just did. We could offer Minnesota David Lee and 3 future first round picks for Love and they'd still rightfully decline.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball