Will Barnes start over Klay?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:56 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:At the end of the day they are both beneficial to the team, just believe Barnes take a major, major leap next year.

I dunno man, usually EVERYONE (except LeBron-Durant stars) have a sophomore slump.

I can see Barnes tearing it up and getting even better, but I can also see him slumping and throwing the ball away trying to do too much. He shot 40% last year from deep as a rookie that nobody paid attention to or guarded. I don't think it's a given that he'll shoot that well again... And if his jumper doesn't anchor him, teams will back off to prevent the drive.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:08 pm
32 wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:At the end of the day they are both beneficial to the team, just believe Barnes take a major, major leap next year.

I dunno man, usually EVERYONE (except LeBron-Durant stars) have a sophomore slump.

I can see Barnes tearing it up and getting even better, but I can also see him slumping and throwing the ball away trying to do too much. He shot 40% last year from deep as a rookie that nobody paid attention to or guarded. I don't think it's a given that he'll shoot that well again... And if his jumper doesn't anchor him, teams will back off to prevent the drive.

It's gonna be the same thing this year. They'll be focusing on Curry, Iguodala, Thompson, and Lee, before they worry about Barnes. With swift ball movement he's gonna have tons of open looks and open lanes. And he's just gonna be that much more aggressive now that he's got his confidence going.

Klay's better right now. By the end of the year, we may be singing a different tune. I expect big things from Barnes.

If someone said "Now, you must choose", I would choose Barnes. Klay is good, but I think Barnes would give me more overall. Inside, outside, running the floor, rebounding, protecting the rim. I see him as a more dynamic and physical player and teammate overall. Will he have a better year this year than Klay ? Maybe not....but eventually I think he'll be better.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:19 pm
J1000 wrote:
32 wrote:

It's gonna be the same thing this year. They'll be focusing on Curry, Iguodala, Thompson, and Lee, before they worry about Barnes. With swift ball movement he's gonna have tons of open looks and open lanes. And he's just gonna be that much more aggressive now that he's got his confidence going.

Klay's better right now. By the end of the year, we may be singing a different tune. I expect big things from Barnes.

If someone said "Now, you must choose", I would choose Barnes. Klay is good, but I think Barnes would give me more overall. Inside, outside, running the floor, rebounding, protecting the rim. I see him as a more dynamic and physical player and teammate overall. Will he have a better year this year than Klay ? Maybe not....but eventually I think he'll be better.

I feel you. To me, the difference is this: if I had to pick one to draft for my own team, I'd draft Barnes. But if there was a game TOMORROW that my life depended on, I'd take Klay Thompson. I think at this current stage, he's the better player. Not just the better shooter; the better defender, the better ball handler, better playmaker... And, like I said, I think Barnes will eventually be better in every facet of the game (except outside shooting), but as of right now, I think Thompson is the superior player.

If/when Barnes surpasses him, I think it will be by the end of next season at the earliest.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:57 am
Can't believe Barnes shot 40 from outside. Seems like in GSW you shoot threes better. Maybe Douglas shoots 40 next year too.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:27 am
He shot 39% for Kings, so i pretty much expect him to shoot 40% here.
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:10 pm
Absolutely no way possible Barnes starts over Klay. Iguodala was brought here specifically so we COULD start Klay. Iguodala has a good handle. Barnes doesn't. When we started Curry/Klay/Barnes, Curry was the only one who could create offense. Now that both Curry and Iggy can, Klay becomes even more deadly.

Barnes can play the 2, 3 or 4 off the bench. He'll be the early favorite for 6th man of the year.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:40 am
I think Klay will start and that is a bit better than Barnes starting. It might change now and then, but Barnes will be 6th man and a real good one. He needs to learn from Iguodala about both ends, not that Barnes is shabby already. Klay spreads the floor well and allows much better openings for others.

Iggy adds so much it's so good.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:56 pm
Beast Mode wrote:Absolutely no way possible Barnes starts over Klay. Iguodala was brought here specifically so we COULD start Klay. Iguodala has a good handle. Barnes doesn't. When we started Curry/Klay/Barnes, Curry was the only one who could create offense. Now that both Curry and Iggy can, Klay becomes even more deadly.

Barnes can play the 2, 3 or 4 off the bench. He'll be the early favorite for 6th man of the year.

+1 Beast, you got the right idea.
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball