Welcome, Mareese Speights.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:19 pm
All Speights's highlights are 20-22 foot jumpers. And some one handed dunks. I know that he does have some post moves, but I didn't see any on youtube. I'm guessing he will be playing more of an inside game here. Because that is what they will need from him. Inside defense, rebounding, and some inside scoring. It's nice that he shoots outside but that's not what's needed. He's probably not the perfect fit, but I'm guessing for the Warriors management he was their best option at this time. He is young, that is always a plus.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:51 pm
Speights was picked up as a replacement for Landry and I don't think the Warriors will use him as the backup for Bogut. He will be in there to mainly defend and rebound from the 4 spot and create his offense from that on the second unit.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:36 pm
Yeah I think this helps, but with Ezeli out (and Biedrens gone), they still need another serviceable big man if they want to compete with the top teams in the west. At least somebody who can clog the middle, rebound, and give 6 fouls.

Also need a decent back up point guard, if that is possible. With Jack gone they are pretty thin as far as pure ballhandling...he was on point with the handle.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:15 pm
J1000 wrote:Yeah I think this helps, but with Ezeli out (and Biedrens gone), they still need another serviceable big man if they want to compete with the top teams in the west. At least somebody who can clog the middle, rebound, and give 6 fouls.

Also need a decent back up point guard, if that is possible. With Jack gone they are pretty thin as far as pure ballhandling...he was on point with the handle.

He was definitely serviceable as a ball hander but make no mistake, there were many, many times where he over-dribbled. I love Jack as much as the next guy, and I'm not even exaggerating, I absolutely love the dude, but over dribbling was one of his faults.

Anywho, one of the reasons why we probably targeted Speights because we can conduct a trade with him and Jack. It'll be a simultaneous sign-and-trade, that way, we can save our MLE for a rotational point guard assuming that we can get Jermaine O'neal at the vet minimum. We get these two things checked off of our list and we most certainly have a better roster than last year.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:37 am
If the Warriors send Bazemore to the D League, they won't have a back up 2
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:10 am
Stairway Man wrote:If the Warriors send Bazemore to the D League, they won't have a back up 2

There will be no minutes for Bazemore or any other reserve as a backup 2 guard with Thompson, Iguodala and Curry sharing minutes at that position.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:52 am
I'm more worried about what he can bring to the table defensively. Young 6'10" guy should be able to protect the rim and I'm sure he will be told what his role is going to be. I like the signing. Adds depth and it's a young guy that we can develop his post game.

As for a backup PG I say let's be patient. Let's see what Nedovic can do in the summer league at least. I'll be eager to watch their summer games.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:14 am
Speights is an excellent signing by Bob Myers.. He'll instantly fill the void left by the loss of Landry.. Dude is big and nasty.. 6'10'', 255 lbs I believe?? Plays the 4 but can rotate to the 5 when playing small ball. This is a great signing guys.. I think he averaged 10 pts/game last year with the .. He gave us fits when with the Grizzlies too off the bench.. Perfect replacement for Landry... Add O'neal to this FA class, and we've had an A+ offseason IMO.. I'm not too worried about getting another PG.. i think when Curry needs rest, the ball will start in Iggy's hands.. not only that, but I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised with Nedovic's game.. I strongly believe he makes the team and gets minutes this year, ala Jenkins/Bazemore
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:44 am
Warriorsallday wrote:Speights is an excellent signing by Bob Myers.. He'll instantly fill the void left by the loss of Landry.. Dude is big and nasty.. 6'10'', 255 lbs I believe?? Plays the 4 but can rotate to the 5 when playing small ball. This is a great signing guys.. I think he averaged 10 pts/game last year with the .. He gave us fits when with the Grizzlies too off the bench.. Perfect replacement for Landry... Add O'neal to this FA class, and we've had an A+ offseason IMO.. I'm not too worried about getting another PG.. i think when Curry needs rest, the ball will start in Iggy's hands.. not only that, but I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised with Nedovic's game.. I strongly believe he makes the team and gets minutes this year, ala Jenkins/Bazemore

+1, bro.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:02 pm
32 wrote:
Warriorsallday wrote:Speights is an excellent signing by Bob Myers.. He'll instantly fill the void left by the loss of Landry.. Dude is big and nasty.. 6'10'', 255 lbs I believe?? Plays the 4 but can rotate to the 5 when playing small ball. This is a great signing guys.. I think he averaged 10 pts/game last year with the .. He gave us fits when with the Grizzlies too off the bench.. Perfect replacement for Landry... Add O'neal to this FA class, and we've had an A+ offseason IMO.. I'm not too worried about getting another PG.. i think when Curry needs rest, the ball will start in Iggy's hands.. not only that, but I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised with Nedovic's game.. I strongly believe he makes the team and gets minutes this year, ala Jenkins/Bazemore

+1, bro.

Agreed. Not only can Speights play the 5 when the Warriors want to go small and fast but he can play the 4 when we want to go big, using Lee at the 3 for an even bigger front line. We've got a much improved rotation...arguably 10 deep.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:24 pm
OldBlueEyes wrote:
32 wrote:

+1, bro.

Agreed. Not only can Speights play the 5 when the Warriors want to go small and fast but he can play the 4 when we want to go big, using Lee at the 3 for an even bigger front line. We've got a much improved rotation...arguably 10 deep.

That's what I'm talking about, OBE :thumbright:

Welcome to the board!
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:55 pm
I really don't like this move. I really would've preferred someone like Elton Brand. Speights doesn't have a low post game. I definitely don't like him for 3 years either, although I know his last year is a team option. All that said, 3M a year is pretty cheap, but I think we could've done better.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:47 pm
Brand sucks.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:52 pm
And Speights can score. Don't trip; just cause he's got a money jump shot for an ogre his size doesn't mean he doesn't score down low. He's not Landry, but dude has a back-to-the-basket game. Trust me, bro. You'll be a huge fan by week 2.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:54 pm
Speights isn't as good as Landry, but he's good depth and we are lucky to have him.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball