Warriors Sign Toney Douglas (backup PG)

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:10 pm
And this offseason just keeps getting sweeter.. A+ offseason for Bob Myers and Co. IMO..Speights, O'Neal, Douglas, and IGGY (best for last)!!!!?? We're going deep this year.. Extraordinary starting 5, and a solid, improved bench from last year.. =D> :D

Douglas is a very solid defending PG.. He fits Mark Jackson's philosophy to a T. I think we're done for the offseason, and I can't wait for the Summer League!

Douglas spent his first three years in the league with the New York Knicks. He averaged 9.0 points and a 13.7 PER (Player Efficiency Rating) in those three years combined.

Douglas, 27, will likely serve as Stephen Curry’s backup, unless Nemanja Nedovic, the 30th overall pick in this year’s draft, proves that he’s more capable.

The specifics of the deal have yet to be released, but Douglas probably didn’t cost the Warriors a lot of coin. He made just more than $2 million last year, and he’s been in the $1 million range in his previous three seasons–just your typical salary of a backup.

It’s not a headline-garnering move, yes, but Douglas is a solid defender that fits the job description of a backup point guard. That’s ultimately all the Warriors are looking for at this point.

http://bluemanhoop.com/2013/07/09/golde ... y-douglas/

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:31 pm
Got to give props to Bob Myers; excellent work.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:32 pm
No comment just :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

This front office wow.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:34 pm
Great signing! We're good to go. We have Nedovic off the bench as a third PG now, and he will get some minutes, and in some occasions he can earn some time at SG position.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:39 pm
Guybrush wrote:Great signing! We're good to go. We have Nedovic off the bench as a third PG now, and he will get some minutes, and in some occasions he can earn some time at SG position.

Agreed. I'm actually real excited to see that kid.. He's extremely athletic and explosive for a PG. Can't wait to see him in Summer League.. From my understanding, he's going to be able to participate in one game thus far? because we still have to buy out his contract with the Euro league or something like that. I hope we get that taken care of asap so he can fully participate this offseason.. It would be nice if he would be our 3rd PG/2nd SG (although I know Iggy will play the 2 at times as well).
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:45 pm
Yeah, there's that thing with buying out, which we don't know much about. And also, Serbian national team...he asked for permission to play in the Summer League, so we need to see what happens. Serbian national team is training, it's not any competition yet, they are preparing for it, so I believe they will let him play...they know he will learn there as well.

I agree that Iggy will play the SG when Barnes is in the game, but sometimes we will go small ball, and Iggy will be SF, and they can go with Nedovic and Steph at guard positions. Like we did with Jack last season.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:51 pm
Guybrush wrote:I agree that Iggy will play the SG when Barnes is in the game, but sometimes we will go small ball, and Iggy will be SF, and they can go with Nedovic and Steph at guard positions. Like we did with Jack last season.

Absolutely agree. Plus Speights gives the Warriors the ability to go big and use Lee at the 3 when necessary. All the deals so far have added much needed balance to the team, both offensively and defensively.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:29 pm
We've got potential through the roof! I'm excited for these last two signings of O'Neal and Douglas.

So much depth and possibilities. Wow!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:51 pm
I love the Douglas addition.

Neither Curry nor Jack played the type of defense last year than Douglas can bring to the team. He doesn't have the strength that Jack has, so he can't guard 2's alongside Steph, but he's an irritant to other point guards and he'll shoot the damn lights out. Having an additional playmaker in the lineup, like Iggy, is truly a luxury because it allows guys like Douglas the opportunity to do what they do well (score, defend) without the burden of creating for others.

Douglas is yet another cat who will improve playing alongside a glue-guy like Iggy and a floor-stretcher like Steph.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:50 pm
OldBlueEyes wrote:
Guybrush wrote:I agree that Iggy will play the SG when Barnes is in the game, but sometimes we will go small ball, and Iggy will be SF, and they can go with Nedovic and Steph at guard positions. Like we did with Jack last season.

Absolutely agree. Plus Speights gives the Warriors the ability to go big and use Lee at the 3 when necessary. All the deals so far have added much needed balance to the team, both offensively and defensively.

Lee will have nothing to do with the 3. The only thing he knows about the 3 is that it comes after 4.

I love the Douglas signing.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:52 pm
Douglas is my favorite bench signing.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:58 pm
Ringo wrote:
OldBlueEyes wrote:

Lee will have nothing to do with the 3. The only thing he knows about the 3 is that it comes after 4.

I love the Douglas signing.

+1
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:10 am
Another need filled. It will be interesting to see how good the team's defense will be this season. MJackson's vision coming true.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:58 pm
Blackfoot wrote:Douglas is my favorite bench signing.

Mo Speights is mine... but not for his game, just for his Twitter. That fool is a fuckin riot.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:36 pm
So Douglas' defensive rating is 108. I'm starting to really question the validity of this stat.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Next

Return to Warriors Basketball