Warriors to Sign Jermaine O'Neal

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:03 pm
Excellent signing to add solid depth to our front line.. Bogut, Ezeli (when He's back), Speights, and now O'Neal..Are you kidding me? We're stacked :D

Jermaine O'Neal is apparently the latest free agent to commit to playing for the Golden State Warriors next season, according to ESPN's Marc Stein. The one-year deal isn't a big commitment to the prep-to-pro big man, but a healthy O'Neal could be another nice addition to the revamped Warriors roster.
Golden State's biggest offseason addition has been Andre Iguodala after trading away three players to clear enough cap space to conceivably make a run at Dwight Howard. That run didn't pan out, obviously, but O'Neal is another solid addition to a young team that played well until their unfortunate demise in the NBA Playoffs.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/7/9/45 ... e-warriors
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:27 pm
wow, very nice.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:28 pm
For sure Ezeli will ride the bench when he comes back and he should; he needs to sit and watch O'Neal and Bogut and learn how to score.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:29 pm
Man, this team not just looks great now on paper...but they are bringing in some guys I liked 7-8 years ago (Iggy and JO).
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:30 pm
OldBlueEyes wrote:For sure Ezeli will ride the bench when he comes back and he should; he needs to sit and watch O'Neal and Bogut and learn how to score.

We'll see...Ezeli is injured now, but those two together are more fragile than glass.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:33 pm
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:34 pm
OldBlueEyes wrote:For sure Ezeli will ride the bench when he comes back and he should; he needs to sit and watch O'Neal and Bogut and learn how to score.

I don't know about that. Maybe I'm one of the few that's pretty high on Ezeli.. I think his knack for blocking shots and changing shots validates playing time. His defense is stout, he just went through some rookie growing pains as expected. What he needs to work on is his hands. His positioning was pretty solid, but he just had bricks for hands.. That's something that could be taught, and he has allllll offseason to work on just that.. What he does possess is something unteachable, and that's the natural ability to anticipate, react, and block/change shots significantly.. I agree that he certainly can learn from O'neal and Bogut, but I just don't think he'll get less minutes than last year once he is healthy. Either way, great signing by this FO, and another solid veteran presence to add to our young core.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:39 pm
Warriorsallday wrote:

I don't know about that. Maybe I'm one of the few that's pretty high on Ezeli.. I think his knack for blocking shots and changing shots validates playing time. His defense is stout, he just went through some rookie growing pains as expected. What he needs to work on is his hands. His positioning was pretty solid, but he just had bricks for hands.. That's something that could be taught, and he has allllll offseason to work on just that.. What he does possess is something unteachable, and that's the natural ability to anticipate, react, and block/change shots significantly.. I agree that he certainly can learn from O'neal and Bogut, but I just don't think he'll get less minutes than last year once he is healthy. Either way, great signing by this FO, and another solid veteran presence to add to our young core.

There's more of us who think the same as you do. I wanted Ezeli before the draft and couldn't believe my luck when Warriors drafted both Barnes and Ezeli.

I agree with everything you said, he lacks in departments that can be taught, but he has those other thing that you either have or don't have. And there are few better than Bogut and O'Neal who could teach him a thing or two more, to upgrade that ability on defense he already has.
Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:43 pm
Guybrush wrote:I agree with everything you said, he lacks in departments that can be taught, but he has those other thing that you either have or don't have. And there are few better than Bogut and O'Neal who could teach him a thing or two more, to upgrade that ability on defense he already has.

=D> Yup! It's too bad Ezeli is having a setback because of the injury.. I wish he had this whole offseason to work instead of rehab.. I was really looking forward to seeing his progression. Either way, no rush, and we're pretty much stacked in the front court.. This season can't come fast enough

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:46 pm
The Warriors have added veterans to teach the rookies and that can only pay dividends in the long run. Ezeli will for sure get less minutes when he is back until he learns enough to contribute on both ends of the floor. He made progress this year and needs to continue to make progress next year. Same goes for Barnes, which is why Iggy is there....teach Barnes to play better defense to go with his much improved offense. The key to a championship NBA team is balance on both ends of the floor and the recent additions have added better balance.

Return to Warriors Basketball