Welcome, Mareese Speights.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:33 pm
Not sure how I feel. Definitely fills a need, but now sure how well. Don't know his game, attitude, or how tough he is.

Saw different reports. Marc Stein said to expect a one year deal, another said 3 years. Looks like he's going to take a piece of our mid-level if not all of it...
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:41 pm
Looks like he has range to the top of the key. Not a post player.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:46 pm
3 year deal, last year a team option. Numbers has not been disclosed yet.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:56 pm
For what was left in free agency he was on the top of my list
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:02 pm
I think I still would've preferred Jermaine O'neal who would anchor the paint after Bogut comes off. Last year, the second Ezeli came off the floor and we ran with Landry and Lee, teams began attacking the rim. I wanted a rim protector at all times.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:32 pm
One source close to the process told ESPN.com that the move for Speights does not impact the Warriors' pursuit of free-agent center Jermaine O'Neal, whose former agent is current Warriors general manager Bob Myers.

Via Marc Stein.

This would be lovely. Sign Jermaine to a vet minimum and find an insurance policy for Curry's ankle and we're good. Rumors says that we're not in the market for a PG, but that sounds extremely silly to me. I understand the Iggy could handle the ball, but if Curry goes down, and Iggy is resting, then what? Not even sure who I want at this point. Earl Watson would've been perfect.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:00 pm
8th ave wrote:
One source close to the process told ESPN.com that the move for Speights does not impact the Warriors' pursuit of free-agent center Jermaine O'Neal, whose former agent is current Warriors general manager Bob Myers.

Via Marc Stein.

This would be lovely. Sign Jermaine to a vet minimum and find an insurance policy for Curry's ankle and we're good. Rumors says that we're not in the market for a PG, but that sounds extremely silly to me. I understand the Iggy could handle the ball, but if Curry goes down, and Iggy is resting, then what? Not even sure who I want at this point. Earl Watson would've been perfect.

We would have TOO many players if we signed Jermaine and another point. You can only have 12

1. Curry
2. Nedovic
3. Thompson
4. Bazemore
5. Iggy
6. Bares
7. Lee
8. Speights
9. Bogut
10. Ezeli
11. Green
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:07 pm
Stairway Man wrote:
8th ave wrote:

Via Marc Stein.

We would have TOO many players if we signed Jermaine and another point. You can only have 12

1. Curry
2. Nedovic
3. Thompson
4. Bazemore
5. Iggy
6. Bares
7. Lee
8. Speights
9. Bogut
10. Ezeli
11. Green

Can designate 3 players to the injury reserve. Ezeli will start the year on it. When he comes back, activate him and move Nedovic to the injury reserve/dleague. Easy.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:10 pm
But what if Nedovic plays very well? Then what?
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:24 pm
Then you send down Bazemore, or whoever that is not playing. There's not a single team in the NBA who has a 12-man rotation.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:25 pm
You can activate/deactivate a player on a game-to-game basis. No need to worry, man. It'n not like your roster is locked in whenever you send someone down to the d-league.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:23 pm
Totally mis-read this dudes game,from the highlights he is a perimeter 4, loves his jumper. I was hoping for an inside bruiser, I would have gone with Elton Brand.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:26 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:Totally mis-read this dudes game,from the highlights he is a perimeter 4, loves his jumper. I was hoping for an inside bruiser, I would have gone with Elton Brand.

Yup... I think one of the reasons why we might have picked Speights is because we can facilitate a Jack trade for him. That way, we don't use our Mid-Level and use it on another center and pg. Right now, though I don't like the signing. Apparently he doesn't move well on defense, and he's sort of dumb for a lack of a better word. I guess he rebounds decently as well, but as you've said, I would've preferred Brand.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:46 pm
8th ave wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:Totally mis-read this dudes game,from the highlights he is a perimeter 4, loves his jumper. I was hoping for an inside bruiser, I would have gone with Elton Brand.

Yup... I think one of the reasons why we might have picked Speights is because we can facilitate a Jack trade for him. That way, we don't use our Mid-Level and use it on another center and pg. Right now, though I don't like the signing. Apparently he doesn't move well on defense, and he's sort of dumb for a lack of a better word. I guess he rebounds decently as well, but as you've said, I would've preferred Brand.

And he will get PT also, interesting how this turns out on the floor, and how much PT he actually gets. We will def be a perimeter team next year, just like last year.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:11 pm
According to SF Examiner reporter Paul Gackle...Nedovic, who's yet to sign a contract with the Warriors, said his agent is seeking permission from the coach of the Serbian national team to play in the NBA summer league this month. He said his intention is to sign with the Warriors.
"The people from the Warriors want to see me in the summer league, see what my qualities are, how I can help the team," Nedovic said. "I think it's their decision to see if I'm going to be on the roster or not.

So, there is plenty of room on the roster for O'Neal and another PG. Speights was a good move because he is cheap...Brand would have used up all of the Warriors money under the cap. If and when Nedovic does sign, he and Bazemore can battle for a spot on the roster.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball